4. safina------------2371----6
5. azarenka----------2350----6
6. wozniacki---------1780---10
7. williams v--------1690----6
8. kuznetsova--------1546----6
9. bartoli-----------1437---10
10.ivanovic----------1200----5
14.jankovic----------1000----7

I think williams s is in the driver's seat.
Someone will gain on her at Roland Garros. Then that person has to stay with her the rest of the year.
dementieva has a chance but can she then get more points at the U.S. open?
Safina same thing and allergic to grass.
azarenka perhaps but its all new to her. She can stay with her on hard court. but can she beat the other players? does she have the experience no. I hope she pulls the big surprise.
v. williams not in her makeup to beat up on her little sister but she will probably gain at wimbledon.
kuznetsova can gain on clay and equal or surpass her on hard court but can she do it for a whole year. Also she is 2000 points back.
ivanovic and jankovic
too far back and playing poorly could gain on clay and will fall back on the other surfaces.
Zvonareva
too bad she is injured.

·
Premium Member
26,630 Posts
It'll be nice to see Jankovic not make it, :)
Let's see if she's 14 NOW, what do you guys think she'll be after Rome, Wimbledon (she won't go further than last year imo) and definitely after the USO, :rolls:
2 Consecutive Easy Draws in Flushing....I think not, ;)

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
top8 will probably be (not in order):
Serena
Venus
JJ
Sveta
Safina
Dementieva
Azarenka
Wozniacki/Vera (depends when she'll comeback)

·
Registered
50,589 Posts
Top8 year-end(in no particular order):
-Serena
-Venus
-Dementieva
-Azarenka
-Kuznetsova
-Ivanovic
-Safina
-Zvonareva
ALT:
-Jankovic
-Sharapova
-Wozniacki

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Such a shame for Zvonareva. I think she could have finished the year number 2, but the clay court season would have played a big part in that - I would have picked her to reach her first GS final at RG. If she's not back by then, I doubt she will be back for Wimbledon too. She's already said she finds it difficult to adjust her game to grass for just a couple of weeks, so even if she's recovered by then she may sit it out. Luckily for her, she doesn;t seem to have a problem with coming back from injury, so I expect good things from her during the US hardcourt season.

I still think she's safe to finish the year top 8 (which would be very impressive in itself), probably even top 5. Serena, Venus, Dementieva and (unfortunately) Safina are the only safe bets at the minute IMO. Hopefully Kuzzie can keep up her good play and get back to where she belongs, same for Ivanovic. I'd like to see Wozniacki make the cut too, although I'm becoming increasingly doubtful that she'll reach top 10!! :sad:

edit - completely forgot about Azarenka!! I'm not actually expecting anything too great from her on the clay or grass, but as soon as the hardcourt season comes around, she just may pick up where she left off. Could be a real contender for top 3 finish to the year.

·
Registered
16,039 Posts
The points given are big now(Rome's winner get 800 points)so this race will change a lot all year.Updated after today :

1.S.Williams 3452
2.Dementieva 2715
3.Safina 2571
4.Azarenka 2550
5.Zvonareva 2520
6.V.Williams 1890
Wozniacki 1890
8.Kuzzy 1746
9.Bartoli 1497
10.Ivanovic 1310
11.Jankovic 1200

All players except Serena, Elena, Marion and Wozniacki are still playing so either Safina or Azarenka will probably pass Elena after tomorrow.Sveta can pass Venus and Caroline, Jelena can pass Ana and Marion etc...

Serena has a good lead but some others could catch her quickly if she doesn't react (maybe even before RG)

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
The points given are big now(Rome's winner get 800 points)so this race will change a lot all year.Updated after today :

1.S.Williams 3452
2.Dementieva 2715
3.Safina 2571
4.Azarenka 2550
5.Zvonareva 2520
6.V.Williams 1890
Wozniacki 1890
8.Kuzzy 1746
9.Bartoli 1497
10.Ivanovic 1310
11.Jankovic 1200

All players except Serena, Elena, Marion and Wozniacki are still playing so either Safina or Azarenka will probably pass Elena after tomorrow.Sveta can pass Venus and Caroline, Jelena can pass Ana and Marion etc...

Serena has a good lead but some others could catch her quickly if she doesn't react (maybe even before RG)
or maybe Safina n Azarenka may lose tomorrow aswell...

it usually gets interesting after wimbledon!!

no more clay courters
grass courters...
all hardcourts!!
most on equal grounds

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
My guesses for year end top 8......

Serena
Azarenka
Safina
Dementieva
Venus
Wozniacki
Kuznetsova
Zvonareva

Alternates: Ivanovic, Jankovic, Sharapova, Bartoli and Suarez Navarro.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
my guess for the year end top 8:
Serena
Dementieva
Venus

·
Registered
465 Posts
It'll be nice to see Jankovic not make it, :)
Let's see if she's 14 NOW, what do you guys think she'll be after Rome, Wimbledon (she won't go further than last year imo) and definitely after the USO, :rolls:
2 Consecutive Easy Draws in Flushing....I think not, ;)
Yeah; Zheng, Wozniacki (who everyone said would beat her), Dementieva (who everyone said was going to win the open), and her early round nemesis, Aardvark. Such a softy draw.

I hope she gets a packed draw like Ana did last year with all those qualifiers. Show her who the real Serbian number 1 is!

AJDE!

Ps, my post went through, Pumps fist!

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Jelena getting close to the top 10 but we're in May :help:. The Indian Wells-Miami mess could cost her the YEC. However i just can't see her not making it.

·
Premium Member
181,943 Posts
There is no Race any more

WTA use the actual ranks for players to qualify for Doha.

Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships

How It Works

* The Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships will operate under the same guidelines as the Rankings (i.e. Best 16 tournaments with according mandatories, etc.);
* Every player will start the year at 0 and accumulate points as the year goes on;
* The week of the 2009 Sony Ericsson Championships the ranking points and race points will be the same; this would just be used to gauge a player's 2009 success as the year goes on, rather than factoring in the 2008 results.

·
it's just me against the music.
27,316 Posts
There is no Race any more

WTA use the actual ranks for players to qualify for Doha.

Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships

How It Works

* The Race to the Sony Ericsson Championships will operate under the same guidelines as the Rankings (i.e. Best 16 tournaments with according mandatories, etc.);
* Every player will start the year at 0 and accumulate points as the year goes on;
* The week of the 2009 Sony Ericsson Championships the ranking points and race points will be the same; this would just be used to gauge a player's 2009 success as the year goes on, rather than factoring in the 2008 results.
Was going to post this. There is no such thing as a "Race". Players like Zvonareva (2004) or Hantuchova(2007) who have benefitted from playing more tournaments than their counterparts will be unable to sneak into the fields.

By doing this, it makes even more difficult for someone to win a slam and NOT qualify. Then again, leave it to Venus to ruin a system.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
What actually confuses me is how will they select the alternates?
Who will qualify for the Bali Championships?

·
Worshipping the bangs
62,496 Posts
Elena Dementieva in the YEC is like the U.S. in the World Cup. Always qualify, then blow mightily when we get there.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts