·
Registered
39,893 Posts
Violence goes in NT now.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
The seldom-told story of the third man in John Carlos and Tommie Smith’s iconic protest

As NFL protests continue to be debated, both in and out of the league, the legacy of sports activism has by nature, also taken center stage. It's a history that, in balance, disproves the often-stated belief that players should just stick to their day jobs, that politics have no place on our fields or courts.

For every brave and iconic Muhammad Ali story, there are scores of less well-known athletes using whatever platform they have to push forward social-justice causes that mean the most to them. Though rarely heard, their stories are often as essential.

One of those stories, is the tale of the [other] man, Australian runner Peter Norman, who won silver at the 1968 Olympics in Mexico City and stood on the podium as Americans John Carlos and Tommie Smith raised their black-gloved fists in the air in support of African-American rights and dignity.

For many, Norman was seen as simply a bystander, or "the white guy" in the photo. A largely insignificant figure in one of the Olympics' most iconic moments. But as Smith and Carlos held their fists up high to highlight the racism and segregation that marked life as a black person in America, Norman stood in quiet solidarity. Hard to see in the photo is a small badge he wore that read: "Olympic Project for Human Rights," an American organization started the year before to protest global racial injustice. After all, he was coming from Australia, which sports writer Dave Zirin describes as "a country that at the time held racial exclusion laws that rivaled apartheid South Africa."

"I’ll stand with you," Italian writer Riccardo Gazzaniga said John Carlos remembers. "I expected to see fear in Norman’s eyes, but instead we saw love."

While the narrative around the emblematic photo has often left out Norman, Australia certainly did not forget his actions. Four years later and in 1972, Norman was not part of his country's Olympic sprinter team in Munich, "despite having run qualifying times for the 200 meters thirteen times and the 100 meters five times," Gazzaniga said.

Norman's career in competitive athletics was over, even though he was so fast that he still holds Australia's national record. He was ostracized, with work largely impossible to find. "If we were getting beat up," Zirin said that John Carlos remembers, "Peter was facing an entire country and suffering alone."

Australia offered Norman many chances for redemption. Publicly condemn Smith and Carlos' actions and he would be embraced for the athletic trailblazer he was. More importantly, it was "A pardon that would have allowed him to find a stable job through the Australian Olympic Committee and be part of the organization of the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games," Gazzaniga wrote. Norman refused.

[-------------- snipped -----------]

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

·
Registered
39,893 Posts
So race-related violence goes in NT now?

Who knew?
Obviously not you.

Do you see the word "Violence" in this thread's title? No.

Now compare that to the original/now closed thread title:

Violence, Homophobia, Police Brutality and Race-Relations News.

:secret: The red is a hint.
____

That is asking too much.
Probably just checked the pictures and the heading.
Oh, aren't you two just so witty. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
35,934 Posts

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Three White Supremacists Arested in Florida for Shooting at Anti-Racism Protesters

The aftermath of white nationalist Richard Spencer’s speech at the University of Florida in Gainesville turned violent on Thursday when three white supremacists allegedly shot at anti-racism protesters.

According to the Gainesville Police Department, 28-year-old Tyler Tenbrink, 30-year-old William Fears, and 28-year-old Colton Fears, all from Texas, are now held on charges of attempted homicide for shooting at the group of protesters.

Police said that the trio stopped by the group of protesters shortly before 5:30 pm on Thursday, allegedly threatening the protesters, doing Nazi salutes, and shouting chants about Hitler. Tenbrink then reportedly pulled out a firearm, and the Fears brothers told him to shoot it at the protesters. He fired once, but missed (no one was hurt).

Then the trio fled in a jeep. But the trio’s vehicle tag number was reported, and they were caught a few hours later.

As ThinkProgress reported, Tenbrink and the Fears brothers have a history of racism. William Fears was featured in a Washington Post article about white supremacists, while his brother’s now-deleted Twitter account included racist comments. And Tenbrink was reportedly an active member of the “White Lives Matter” movement in Houston, and he was interviewed by local media in Gainesville before the shooting.

This is far from the first white supremacist attack this year. In September, police charged 23-year-old Kenneth James Gleason with first-degree murder for allegedly killing two black people in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; police found a speech by Adolf Hitler, along with other evidence, in Gleason’s home. In August, a Nazi sympathizer ran his car into a crowd of counterprotesters during a racist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia — an event also backed by Spencer — and killed 32-year-old Heather Heyer, who was there to stand against hate and bigotry.

[------------snipped -----------------]

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Woman Hand Sews Eclectic Kimono to Honor Her Japanese and Scottish Ancestry

A kimono is traditionally a Japanese garment, but it has, in recent years, undergone cultural transformations. One striking way is via Western influence; for nuptials that combine elements of Japanese culture and Christian traditions, a kimono wedding dress is a popular choice. Another recent collaboration between Norwegian designer T-Michael and Tokyo-based company Y. & Sons blends the aesthetic of the iconic robes with minimalist Scandinavian style. While these examples speak more generally to an overall shift in how people imagine kimonos, there are other iterations of the garment that reflect the individual.

Maya Caulfield recently completed a handmade kimono that celebrates her half Scottish and half Japanese ancestry in one eclectic garment. Created in a traditional kimono silhouette, the fabric is sourced from different types of plaid, from tartan to buffalo check. “I don't usually make textile art,” Caulfield tells My Modern Met via email, “but I do make my own clothes on occasion and I always make sure that they are very personal to me and one of a kind—I don't want to sew something that someone else would have in their closet.”

Caulfield’s inspiration for the kimono came from her involvement in the streetwear community; she saw how designers like Rick Owens and Rei Kawakubo fused traditional fashion with modern design. “From there, I went to thrift stores in Denver and bought huge plastic bags of men's plaid button-down shirts and boxer shorts. I washed them THOROUGHLY, and cut them into different-sized rectangles.”

Between starting and finishing the garment, she moved to Washington state and couldn’t bring her sewing machine with her. “I was forced to hand-sew the entire garment.” The long journey (both literally and figuratively) was worth it. Caulfield’s one-of-a-kind piece represents the beauty that can come when elements of two cultures meet.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
How Southern Socialites Rewrote Civil War History

The United Daughters of the Confederacy, a women’s group that was formed in 1894, led the effort to revise Confederate history at the turn of the 20th century. That effort has a name: the Lost Cause. It was a campaign to portray Confederate leaders and soldiers as heroic, and it targeted the minds and identities of children growing up in the South so they would develop a personal attachment to the Confederate cause.

Even without the right to vote, the group was extremely influential. They lobbied local governments to erect memorials to the Confederacy all over the South, including in prominent public spaces like courthouses and state capitols. They formed textbook committees and pressured school boards to ban books that the UDC deemed “unjust to the South,” which was anything that shed negative light on the Confederacy.

Their work with children went beyond the classroom as well. They formed an auxiliary group called the Children of the Confederacy, a program that sought to get kids actively involved in “Southern” history. They would recite UDC-sponsored rhetoric, visit veterans, participate in monument unveilings, and more.

Watch the video above to learn more about the UDC’s efforts to present their distorted version of history as “real history.”

The Children of the Confederacy visiting a Confederate grave. Library of Congress

·
Registered
39,893 Posts

White freshman who rubbed used tampons on her Black roommate’s bag gets arrested

HARRY SHUKMAN

TEUTA HOXHA

She boasted about getting rid of her ‘Jamaican Barbie’

Brianna Brochu, a white student who bragged about harassing her black roommate by rubbing used tampons on her bag, pouring moldy clam dip in her lotion and putting her toothbrush inside her rectum, has been arrested.

Brochu, a freshman at the University of Hartford, posted on Instagram about how she "finally got rid of her roommate," who she referred to as "Jamaican Barbie."

Tonight, the university confirmed they have arrested her, calling the reports "disturbing."

Chennel "Jazzy" Rowe, the freshman roommate of Brochu, revealed the shocking allegations in a Facebook video.

In it, she describes "getting sick" while being given the cold shoulder by the roommate.

"It started with throat pain," she explained. "I thought maybe because it’s colder up here, I’m just catching a cold. After a month it got to the point where I had extreme throat pain that I couldn’t sleep, to the point where I couldn’t speak."

"I'm spending my own money that my parents give me for food and groceries, the health centre on campus is not free – in fact they're expensive." In the post, Jazzy explained that her tests would come back negative. She was prescribed antibiotics by the campus doctor for the bacteria in her throat.

Briana Brochu

Then, after a rocky relationship between the two persisted (Rowe says in her video how Brochu would come into their room and turn off the lights if Rowe was working there),*she decided to move out.

As she was leaving, Rowe discovered Instagram posts by her roommate, who boasted about messing with her to make her ill.

Brochu posted:

"Finally did it yo girl got rid of her roommate!! After 1 1/12 month of spitting in her coconut oil, putting moldy clam dip in her lotions, rubbing used tampons on her backpack, putting her toothbrush places where the sun doesn't shine and so much more I can finally say goodbye Jamaican Barbie."

Brianna Brochu's post on Instagram

Her Instagram is now marked private.

Hartford confirmed a student has been arrested in relation to this incident, adding they will "strictly follow our disciplinary process."

"We are currently in communication with the student and her family," they added.

We have contacted Brochu and Howe for comment, and will update when we hear back.

[The Tab]

Reactions: hablo

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Someone needs to split her wig.

·
Registered
35,934 Posts

Boys sharing a comic book at the racially integrated summer camp Camp Nathan Hale in Southfields, NY, 1943. (Credit: Gordon Parks/Everett Collection Inc/Alamy Stock Photo)

Reactions: Punky

·
Registered
39,893 Posts
Black Lives Matter activist in viral photo overwhelmingly wins Charlotte City Council seat

DAVID EDWARDS

08 NOV 2017 AT 11:08 ET

A Black Lives Matter activist whose protest photo went viral last year*won a seat*on the Charlotte City Council on Tuesday.

According to WBTV, Democratic candidate Braxton Winston received the second-highest number of votes in Charlotte’s Tuesday elections for at-large seats on the council.

“We’re excited. We feel like we ran the campaign that we set out to do,” Winston said after the win. “We were very intentional about it from day one. We wanted to go to every part of Charlotte with a clear and consistent message of a more accessible, equitable and interconnected city.”

“It’s all good to bring ‘new,’ but we have to create a continuum between the past, the present and to the future to know has worked and what hasn’t and build on it,” he added.

Winston first gained prominence last year after a photo of him standing in front of a line of police went viral.

“Media outlets across the country chose this photograph by the Charlotte Observer’s Jeff Siner for their reports on the Charlotte protests,”*The Charlotte Observer*reported at the time. “Winston’s stance of defiance illustrated the police-civilian tension that emerged from the Sept. 20 shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, 43, by CMPD Officer Brentley Vinson. The image, taken from behind, doesn’t show Winston’s face; one cannot identify him beyond an athletic upper body and long, dark dreadlocks. Perhaps that is why it became a defining image in the coverage.”

[RawStory]

Reactions: hablo

·
Registered
35,934 Posts
Black Lives Matter activist in viral photo overwhelmingly wins Charlotte City Council seat
I wanted to find out something about the man. So I checked and :yeah: a compelling platform although it's very short on the details. And if he is a "BLM activist" it isn't mention it nor are they listed as an endorser. It doesn't even mention race specifically. Smart.

https://www.votebraxton.com/meet-braxton

21 - 40 of 4269 Posts