Tennis Forum banner

3341 - 3360 of 3403 Posts

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
A whole bunch of white people fought a large-scale war over slavely. In the end, many white people died. I didn't do it myself, because I wasn't around back then, so I'm not going to take any credit. But this means I am also not going to take any flack for anything that happened before my time either.

What you should really do is learn exactly who it is that you should be mad at. You may have to dig a little bit, the media will not help you with this one. White people are not your enemy. Not even close. It's way more complicated than black vs white. Hopefully everybody will discover the truth. It is the one thing that will truly set you free.

·
Registered
14,568 Posts

Let me introduce you to Mr. Wilson Chinn. He was a “Branded” slave from Louisiana. Those are his master’s initials in his forehead. The contraption on his neck was to keep him from running to freedom. If those bars were to hit anything, it would break his neck. The cruelty my people went through to be free is sickening! No! We will never forget!!
And you shouldn't forget.

·
Registered
39,190 Posts
Dear Trolls: Show me proof of racism so that I can reject it!

By Brotha Wolf
January 16, 2018

It’s great not to be alone when dealing with crap. Other people know what you’re talking about and often sympathize.

If you’ve ever been in a forum or thread about racism, you may have seen that one clown that demands of proof of racism. Evidence is presented from articles, excerpts from books or books themselves, videos, charts, data, statistics, graphs, scholarly writings from academia, stone tablets, whatever. You’ve given the doubter everything and anything you can find to make him/her see that you’re not lying.

To the doubter, that’s not enough. Nothing you can give enough. You’re just wrong. Your proof is wrong based on questionable or straight-up false sources, information and data. Either it’s from a right wing outlet or it was just pulled out of thin air just to not only discredit you but also make you look stupid and insane.
Another thing they could do is pull the old you-don’t-know-what-white-people-think dodge. Son of Baldwin at Medium writes how it’s done:

They will ask you if you can read the minds of white people. Yes. That’s their favorite one. That’s their standard of proof. The only way you will be able to prove racism to these white folks is if you’re telepathic. And even then, they’d question the accuracy of your telepathic abilities and will request a white telepath to verify your knowledge — and they will only believe the white telepath if they disagree with you and agree with them. Anything to avoid having to confront and admit that racism exists, that they benefit from it, and often participate in and perpetuate it…

Nothing you say will refute that. That’s a round-peg claim they will push through a square hole while getting folks to believe that they’re communicating in good faith. But as Son of Baldwin continues:

Beyond being a sign of intellectual laziness, psychological ineptitude, and a gross exploitation of unearned authority and privilege, it’s emotionally sophomoric and an insidious and pathological deflection strategy designed to protect white people from encountering any reality that doesn’t make them feel like the most special and innocent snowflakes at the dead center of the alabaster and crystalline universe.

And there are plenty of snowflakes that hate to melt but end up dripping with intense negative emotions. As such, they will revert to a childlike state, resort to immature name calling, bullying and an obsessive drive to break the patience of the people they’re confronting and will deflect and deny any accountability for their actions. It’s the lowest form of racist Jedi mind tricks to run down any conversation about racism and drive you mad and exhausted.

But as Toni Morrison says on the same piece:

“The function, the very serious function, of racism is distraction. It keeps you from doing your work. It keeps you explaining, over and over again, your reason for being. Somebody says you have no language, so you spend twenty years proving that you do. Somebody says your head isn’t shaped properly, so you have scientists working on the fact that it is. Someone says you have no art, so you dredge that up. Somebody says you have no kingdoms, so you dredge that up. None of that is necessary. There will always be one more thing.”

And like the author of the piece, I WILL NOT put up with it anymore. They can cry about how their “freedoms” have been taken away. They can pat themselves on the back for winning the mental war on liberal PC culture. They can continue to bad mouth me, call me racist – which is another tactic they love to throw at you – and my blog. But I will NOT put up with any more drippy attitudes from a bunch of assholes running from the truths about racism like a thief running from the cops.

Click here to read the Son of Baldwin’s entire article.

[The Intersection of Madness & Reality]

This.

·
Registered
32,773 Posts

By Brotha Wolf
January 16, 2018

It’s great not to be alone when dealing with crap. Other people know what you’re talking about and often sympathize.

If you’ve ever been in a forum or thread about racism, you may have seen that one clown that demands of proof of racism. Evidence is presented from articles, excerpts from books or books themselves, videos, charts, data, statistics, graphs, scholarly writings from academia, stone tablets, whatever. You’ve given the doubter everything and anything you can find to make him/her see that you’re not lying.

To the doubter, that’s not enough. Nothing you can give enough. You’re just wrong. Your proof is wrong based on questionable or straight-up false sources, information and data. Either it’s from a right wing outlet or it was just pulled out of thin air just to not only discredit you but also make you look stupid and insane.
Another thing they could do is pull the old you-don’t-know-what-white-people-think dodge. Son of Baldwin at Medium writes how it’s done:

They will ask you if you can read the minds of white people. Yes. That’s their favorite one. That’s their standard of proof. The only way you will be able to prove racism to these white folks is if you’re telepathic. And even then, they’d question the accuracy of your telepathic abilities and will request a white telepath to verify your knowledge — and they will only believe the white telepath if they disagree with you and agree with them. Anything to avoid having to confront and admit that racism exists, that they benefit from it, and often participate in and perpetuate it…

Nothing you say will refute that. That’s a round-peg claim they will push through a square hole while getting folks to believe that they’re communicating in good faith. But as Son of Baldwin continues:

Beyond being a sign of intellectual laziness, psychological ineptitude, and a gross exploitation of unearned authority and privilege, it’s emotionally sophomoric and an insidious and pathological deflection strategy designed to protect white people from encountering any reality that doesn’t make them feel like the most special and innocent snowflakes at the dead center of the alabaster and crystalline universe.

And there are plenty of snowflakes that hate to melt but end up dripping with intense negative emotions. As such, they will revert to a childlike state, resort to immature name calling, bullying and an obsessive drive to break the patience of the people they’re confronting and will deflect and deny any accountability for their actions. It’s the lowest form of racist Jedi mind tricks to run down any conversation about racism and drive you mad and exhausted.

“The function, the very serious function, of racism is distraction. It keeps you from doing your work. It keeps you explaining, over and over again, your reason for being. Somebody says you have no language, so you spend twenty years proving that you do. Somebody says your head isn’t shaped properly, so you have scientists working on the fact that it is. Someone says you have no art, so you dredge that up. Somebody says you have no kingdoms, so you dredge that up. None of that is necessary. There will always be one more thing.”

And like the author of the piece, I WILL NOT put up with it anymore. They can cry about how their “freedoms” have been taken away. They can pat themselves on the back for winning the mental war on liberal PC culture. They can continue to bad mouth me, call me racist – which is another tactic they love to throw at you – and my blog. But I will NOT put up with any more drippy attitudes from a bunch of assholes running from the truths about racism like a thief running from the cops.

This.
Which is why I have the majority of them that droll around this thread on ignore, especially the ones that know more about us than we know about ourselves. Those are the ones that amuse me the most.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Trainwreck
58,134 Posts

By Brotha Wolf
January 16, 2018

This.
I feel like the bolded parts can go the other way just as much. "There will always be one more thing", yep, I feel that.

·
Registered
39,190 Posts
DeAndre Arnold Proudly Wears His Locs To The Oscars After Being Banned From Graduation

Thatiana Diaz
Last Updated February 9, 2020, 6:07 PM

It's been less than a month since DeAndre Arnold, a Texas high school student, was banned from his prom and graduation unless he cut his locs. As news of his story spread on social media, celebrities and activists came to Arnold's defense and encouraged him to stand up to his school's blatant natural hair discrimination. Now, in a significant turn of events, he's proudly wearing his locs front-and-center at the 2020 Oscars.

Arnold and his mother were invited to attend as the guests of director Matthew A. Cherry, who won the award for Best Animated Short Film for Hair Love tonight. Fittingly, the short film tells the story of a Black father learning to style his daughter's natural hair. Gabrielle Union, Dwyane Wade, and beauty brand Dove sponsored his tickets to the event, as well as full wardrobe, hair, and makeup for him and his family.

We spoke to Arnold during his tuxedo fitting on Saturday, and he told us he couldn't wait to walk the red carpet with the Hair Love team. "I'm so grateful. I never expected any of this," Arnold tells Refinery29. "The message of that movie and my message go together so well. I think it's really amazing how they reached out to me and how we can fight this together."

Together, Cherry and Arnold are advocating for the nationwide passage of The CROWN Act, which is the law authored by California Senator Holly J. Mitchell that makes it illegal to discriminate against Black people for wearing their natural hair in the workplace or at school. Rep. Mitchell, along with Dove, have been fighting to bring the legislation to more states; currently it has only passed in New Jersey, California, and New York.

Arnold has also received the support of celebrities, including Ellen DeGeneres, who invited him to appear on her daytime show and surprised him with a $20,000 scholarship from Alicia Keys. Arnold says the scholarship will help him pursue his dream of becoming a veterinarian. "When Ellen said that school is supposed to be where you learn about cultures — not learn how to shut out cultures — that really stuck with me," Arnold tells us. "The most exciting [thing] is seeing all the people that are on my side. I thought it would be a lot more hate than support."

Tonight, Arnold is looking forward to sharing his story on a massive platform and celebrating a film that's a beacon of light at the Oscars. "As teenagers, we have a voice and we're the future," he says. "I want more cultural acceptance. If there's any other situation that I feel like I need to stand up for, I would do that in a heartbeat."

[Refinery29]

👍🏿👍🏿👍🏿

·
Registered
32,773 Posts

What a wonderful young man who stood his ground. Still fill sorry for the young man who had to either cut his hair or lose the wresting match.

I really thought this crap was over but since that racist piece of snot won the white house this country racial attitudes are reverting backwards. No matter how hard they try we will continue to fight.

"We Shall Over Come"

·
Registered
32,773 Posts
The disturbing history of enslaved mothers forced to breastfeed white babies in the 1600s
August 20, 2018 at 10:20 am | HISTORY
Elizabeth Ofosuah Johnson

ELIZABETH OFOSUAH JOHNSON | Staff Writer

FULL BIO
Elizabeth Johnson is a Ghanaian –Nigerian avid reader and lover of the Creative Arts. She is also a writer and has worked with various online platforms as an editor and content creator. She also produces a literary radio show and has worked as a festival administrator. Her story was featured in the 2017 Independence anthology by Afridiaspora. Her play has been staged by African Theater Workshop and she is the 2018 winner of the Random Thoughts writing Prize.

Slave trade brought many advantages to western societies. The main duty of a slave was to work on plantations increasing productivity. Slaves often worked long tedious hours in the sun with no pay or reward for their hard labour. Their presence made traders and plantation owners more productive and made their living conditions very harsh.
After a while, the duties of slaves extended to domestic work and female slaves became of high value. In addition to their plantation duties, many female slaves were taken into the homes of their masters to serve their mistresses, cook, clean and wash for them. If a mistress had too many children, the domestic worker was made to help in caring for the child. After a while, female slaves were made to take the place of low-class women paid to breastfeed babies, a practice known as wet nursing.

By the 17th century, wet nursing by slaves had become very popular in Europe. The practice soon reached America through British settlers.
Support Pan-African JournalismSUBSCRIBE
MORE ABOUT THIS

The practice was an excuse for many white mothers to avoid breastfeeding with hopes of maintaining their stature and avoiding the “messy” part of motherhood. The act was perceived as a self-demeaning and women who were seen breastfeeding were often thought of as uncultured, poor and often shunned. The practice became very popular when doctors of the time did all they could to prove that breastfeeding was an unhealthy act for women. It is believed that doctors were paid huge sums of money to write such reports.
The children of slaves grew healthy while many white families lost their children to ill health. This made many westerners force slave mothers to breastfeed their white children so that they could develop better and survive the early months of childhood.
By the 18th century, the trend had become very popular.

Once a slave mother had a child, she was quickly assigned to a white mistress and forced to breastfeed her white baby instead of her own.
Young and healthy slave women were also forced to breastfeed white babies after doctors discovered that the continuous sucking of a sexually active female breast could result in lactation.
While they breastfed white babies at the expense of theirs, slave mothers tried to keep their children alive by feeding them with concoctions they believed will be good substitutes for milk. They also gave cow milk and dirty water which were not suitable for babies health. This resulted in high deaths of babies of slaved throughout the slave trade.
At the peak of the forced wet nursing, slave traders often kidnapped newborn babies from their slave mothers. The pain in the breasts left these women with no choice but to breastfeed other babies who were often white. Some reluctant slaves were beaten and often milked like cows to feed white babies.
Slave mothers often kept the white babies in their homes until the child’s family felt it was time to take them back. Since the living conditions of the slaves were not the best, several white babies died. Speculating that slave mothers were killing the babies out of spite, they were later forced to move in with the family where they could be monitored.

The enslaved wet nurses were rejected by their husbands especially after the death of their own child. Another consequence of the practice was slave masters and their sons having affairs with slave women resulting into increased births of mixed race babies.
The practice started to die down after slaves were slowly getting their freedom. Most of the wet nurses were saved by their families or lovers who bought their freedom for them.
A few African-American women continued wet nursing after slavery had been abolished. Though they were discouraged continuously, they did the job in secret and earned more than self-employed freed slaves and butlers. They were often called prostitutes or shameless women.
Wet nursing existed for many centuries dating as far back as the biblical days. However, in history, only slave mothers were forced into the act.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
How hard is it to follow a simple dress code rule? This kid is going to have a rough life. He is being taught the wrong lessons and being celebrated for it by the usual suspects.

Yet again, this is a story that actually has nothing to do with race, it's just an uppity person just playing the victim card to gain attention.

Fact, I live right down the street from his (former) school and I can tell you for sure that the majority of the kids in this area are raised brilliantly. It's very impressive, more so than anywhere I have ever lived. I'm not sure what happened to this kid that he has to be different. I am glad the school is standing strong. I promise you that this is not a school that is going to cave and change their policy or even apologize like you are all hoping. Major props for standing strong! Follow the rules or GTFO. No loss here. That is what makes this community great.
I was raised during the totalitarian era of Eastern Europe. Having longer hairs and being a young man was unacceptable by officials, schools and by the majority of society as well. I never understand why such an insignificant thing like a length of hair can be a problem for anybody but later I fully understand that it was just one of many puzzles on how to control society and individuals from being different. Any hairstyle is not threatening and damaging anybody, the hairstyle is not making a person less decent and credible. Sorry, but there is no logical reason in the world kid has to cut off his hair for promotion ceremony.

·
Registered
39,190 Posts

Photographing Martin Luther King and His Family

In 1969 photo journalist Moneta Sleet became the first African American to win a Pulitzer Prize for journalism. He won for the black and white image of Coretta Scott King the widow of Martin Luther King taken at the funeral of the murdered civil rights leader. Farhana Haider has been speaking to Moneta Sleet's son Gregory Sleet about his father's remarkable career capturing many of the images that defined the struggle for racial equality in America.

Photo: Moneta Sleet's Pulitzer Prize winning photo of Coretta Scott King and daughter Bernice. Credit. Getty

[Witness History | BBC]

Related:

Moneta Sleet Jr. - Wikipedia

Moneta J. Sleet Jr. (February 14, 1926 – September 30, 1996) was an American press photographer best known for his work as a staff photographer for Ebony magazine.
Years active‎: ‎1955–1996
Born‎: ‎February 14, 1926; ‎Owensboro, Kentucky‎, U.S
Known for‎: ‎Photography
Early life and education · ‎Ebony magazine · ‎Civil Rights Movement · ‎Personal life

Moneta Sleet Jr. of Ebony Magazine - The Pulitzer Prizes

For a distinguished example of feature photography in black and white or color, which may consist of a photograph or photographs, a sequence or an album, One thousand dollars ($1,000). ... For his photograph of Martin Luther King Jr.'s widow and child, taken at Dr. ... Moneta Sleet's Prize ...

Moneta Sleet, Jr. (1926-1996) • - Blackpast

Sep 30, 2018 - Moneta Sleet, Jr., a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer involved in the Civil Rights movement, was born on February 14, 1926. His parents, Ozetta Allensworth Sleet and Moneta Sleet, Sr., raised him in Owensboro, Kentucky.

Moneta Sleet: The great black photographer you've never ...

Oct 28, 2019 - It's 50 years since photographer Moneta Sleet became the first African American to win a Pulitzer prize for journalism. Has his work received the ...​

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Swedish left-wing political tyranny allows ISIS fighters to return home to Sweden, because the politicians want to show that they are so inclusive and tolerant of others!

·
Registered
32,773 Posts
Column: A cop gouged out a black vet’s eyes. 73 years later, the SC town confronts it.
  • Feb 7, 2019

BrianHicks
    Brian Hicks
    • Isaac Woodard for Hicks

Decorated African-American World War II veteran Sgt. Isaac Woodard, who was beaten and blinded by a white police chief in Batesburg-Leesville in 1946. The brutality inflicted against Woodard by a Southern police chief is credited with inspiring President Harry Truman to integrate the military in 1948. J. DeBisse/Library of Congress, NAACP Records

This 2018 photo shows a sign for the town of Batesburg-Leesville, S.C. where decorated African-American World War II veteran Sgt. Isaac Woodard was beaten and blinded by a white police chief in 1946. File/AP
      • Christina L. Myers
    Isaac Woodard just wanted to get home and see his wife.
    He’d been in the Army more than three years, a longshoreman for the Pacific fleet in the waning days of World War II.
    Finally, on Feb. 12, 1946, he was on a Greyhound bus bound for Winnsboro. But he wouldn’t make it — or ever see his wife again.

Because he was black, Woodard wasn’t allowed to fight during the war, but the decorated soldier would become one of the most infamous casualties of an ugly chapter in American history.
    That night, Woodard asked the bus driver for a bathroom break just outside of Aiken. The driver was rude to him, later claiming the soldier was drunk and disturbing other passengers. Woodard took umbrage, but didn’t make a scene. When the bus stopped in Batesburg, however, the driver called the police. Woodard — still wearing his Army dress uniform — protested he’d done nothing wrong. But he was beaten and arrested.
    And just outside the jail, the police chief took his blackjack and gouged out Woodard’s eyes.
    The story shocked the country, and ultimately led President Truman to desegregate the military. But more than 70 years later, almost no one in the town where it happened knew about Woodard’s plight until researchers requested records pertaining to the incident.
    Such stories aren’t proudly passed down from one generation to the next. Unlike some small Southern towns, which often ignore the troublesome elements of their past, Batesburg-Leesville (the two towns merged in 1993) has embraced Woodard’s tragedy and tried to make amends.
    In June, the town expunged the sergeant’s 73-year-old criminal record. “Our Town Attorney Chris Spradley, Police Chief W. Wallace Oswald and Town Judge Robert Cook got together, reopened the case and dismissed the charges against Isaac Woodard,” Mayor Lancer Shull says. “Although Sgt. Woodard died in 1992 and has no direct descendants, we wanted to do something to make it right. As right as it can be.”
    It is more justice than Woodard ever got in life. After his beating, Batesburg’s municipal court sentenced Woodard to 30 days in jail and fined him $50 before Police Chief Lynwood Shull (no relation to the current mayor) hurriedly delivered him to a veterans hospital in Columbia.
    Get a weekly recap of South Carolina opinion and analysis from The Post and Courier in your inbox on Monday evenings.
    Email

His family found him three weeks later, blind and suffering from partial amnesia. Woodard’s wife left him, unwilling to face a life as caregiver. Woodard’s parents took him to New York.
    Because South Carolina officials refused to prosecute the chief, Truman ordered the Justice Department to charge Shull with violating Woodard’s civil rights.
    Charleston Judge Waties Waring presided over that case and, like Truman, was appalled by Shull’s inevitable acquittal. It drove the judge into civil rights advocacy, culminating in a plot that eventually forced the U.S. Supreme Court to desegregate public schools in Brown v. Board of Education.
    Ted Luckadoo, town manager of Batesburg-Leesville, says the community has been talking about the significance of Woodard’s story to the history of the civil rights movement, most people amazed to learn that such a horrific incident occurred on their streets. On Saturday, the town, which is 35 miles west of Columbia, will join with veterans groups to dedicate a historical marker to the “Blinding of Isaac Woodard” on the site of the old jail, which is now an empty lot.
    Don North, a former Army major and military historian, led the charge to erect the marker along with help from U.S. District Judge Richard Gergel, who’s just published a book about the Woodard case, “Unexampled Courage.” The state approved the wording of the marker, and the town signed on as a sponsor.
    “We jumped at the chance to be a part of this,” Luckadoo says. “It’s time to right the wrong and commemorate the progress that resulted from this.”
    The president of the Disabled American Veterans will attend the ceremony, and says other vets from around the country will take part. The town bought a plane ticket for Woodard’s nephew, who cared for his uncle, to come from New York.
    Judge Gergel, who often presides from the same bench where Waring once held court, says he’s been amazed by the thoughtful and empathetic reaction of the town. “They just thought it was the right thing to do, and everything they’ve done has been exemplary,” Gergel says. “You never know how good people can be.”
    No, but Batesburg-Leesville is setting an example for the rest of the country.
    Reach Brian Hicks at [email protected].

Attachments

·
7,250 Posts
I have now cleaned up the thread. Once again, I must remind everyone:

1. You are free to debate ideas and bring forth your opinions about the issues posted. If you do not agree with the issues, you have the right to dissent and explain your objections to the issues. Please do so respectfully.

2. Please understand what this thread is about. This is a thread dedicated to discussing race relations. It is not a thread to spread and promote racist ideologies. It is not a thread to derail race issues. It is not a thread to advertise your insensitivity to race issues.

3. Any posts that are considered insensitive, inappropriate, abusing or demeaning will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Making racially insensitive comments is not tolerated. Promoting problematic and divisive posts is not tolerated. They may also result in disciplinary action.

4. In general - Bullying, baiting, provoking or mocking posters is still not tolerated. This needs to stop. If someone is being problematic, this can be reported. It does not need to be escalated in the thread.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
@Adam

I don't see why this post wasn't cleaned up as well? It is so obviously an attempt of confrontation with another poster who was simply trying to defend himself from baseless accusations. Providing the platform to mock people who are hurt by false accusations is simply not the purpose of this thread.

·
7,250 Posts
@Silent Bird - I'm able to look at the post history and the quoted post was in direct response to being specifically called out by the original poster regarding a matter that did not involve the last poster. It was an attempt to belittle.

However, I completely agree the post should have been deleted beforehand as it was continuing the provocation rather than attempting to diffuse the situation. It has been deleted now.

·
Registered
29,584 Posts
@Silent Bird - I'm able to look at the post history and the quoted post was in direct response to being specifically called out by the original poster regarding a matter that did not involve the last poster. It was an attempt to belittle.
Oh, ok i see. Thank you.

·
Registered
39,190 Posts
Ella Fitzgerald, the first African-American woman to perform at a Super Bowl halftime show

February 05, 2020 at 05:00 pm | Entertainment, History, Success Story, Women

Theodora Aidoo | Staff Writer

The Super Bowl halftime show didn’t always have the most talked-about pop stars as headliners as it does today.

Years back, halftime shows were usually a showcase for the country’s top marching bands and drill teams to perform the national anthem, in addition to a separate halftime performance, according to WNYC.

However, it all changed with Super Bowl VI when Jazz legend Ella Fitzgerald became not only the first jazz artist to perform the halftime show but the first African-American female “celebrity” singer in Super Bowl history.

More about this
Image result for ella fitzgerald

Pic Credit: npr.org

Following the death of Louis Armstrong in 1971, the 1972 Super Bowl was set to take place in New Orleans, the legendary performer’s hometown. The official halftime theme was declared a “Salute to Louis Armstrong.”

It was the first Super Bowl theme that paid tribute to an important figure especially one that happened to be black, and Fitzgerald was one of two women who were chosen to perform.

Carol Channing, an American actress, singer and comedian known for starring in Broadway and film musicals, was also selected. The two women became the first “celebrity” singers in Super Bowl history.

Even though Channing dazzled the fans when she took the stage to sing “When the Saints Go Marching In,” Fitzgerald’s performance was the game-changer.

She performed “Mack the Knife”, which got her into history books as the first African-American woman to perform at a Super Bowl halftime show.

Fitzgerald was joined by trumpeter, bandleader Al Hirt for the historic rendition of Satchmo’s classic “Mack the Knife.”

Pic Credit: sfjazz.org

Unfortunately, Fitzgerald’s performance wasn’t recorded and the details surrounding the performance are scarce since there weren’t any documented interviews. Yet, the audience enjoyed her performance, marking it as one of the best.

Hailed as “The First Lady of Song,” Fitzgerald, with her unique, flexible, wide-ranging, accurate and ageless voice, was the most popular female jazz singer in the United States for more than half a century.

She could sing sultry ballads, sweet jazz and imitate every instrument in an orchestra. She worked with all the jazz greats, from Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Nat King Cole, to Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie, and Benny Goodman.

Born on April 25, 1917, as a troubled teenager following the death of those closest to her, Fitzgerald bunked off from school and lived on the streets.

It was in the summer of 1938 that she found real success with a 19th-century nursery rhyme that was brought up to date by Van Alexander who regularly sold arrangements to Chick Webb.

‘A-tisket A-tasket’ hit the right note with record buyers and it made No.1 on the American hit parade.

A year later, Webb passed away from spinal tuberculosis and for the next few years, Fitzgerald kept his orchestra together, billed as Ella Fitzgerald and her Famous Orchestra but things didn’t turn out so well.

Fitzgerald would later make her first appearance at Jazz at the Philharmonic in 1949, which marked a turnaround in her career. Fitzgerald continued to rise above all circumstances and uplifted herself in music.

In her lifetime, she won 13 Grammy awards and sold over 40 million albums. She performed at top venues all over the world and packed them to the hilt. Her audiences were as diverse as her vocal range, her website says.

Fitzgerald passed away on June 15, 1996.

[face2faceafrica]

·
Registered
32,773 Posts
Ella Fitzgerald, the first African-American woman to perform at a Super Bowl halftime show

February 05, 2020 at 05:00 pm | Entertainment, History, Success Story, Women

Theodora Aidoo | Staff Writer

The Super Bowl halftime show didn’t always have the most talked-about pop stars as headliners as it does today.

Years back, halftime shows were usually a showcase for the country’s top marching bands and drill teams to perform the national anthem, in addition to a separate halftime performance, according to WNYC.

However, it all changed with Super Bowl VI when Jazz legend Ella Fitzgerald became not only the first jazz artist to perform the halftime show but the first African-American female “celebrity” singer in Super Bowl history.

More about this
Image result for ella fitzgerald

Pic Credit: npr.org

Following the death of Louis Armstrong in 1971, the 1972 Super Bowl was set to take place in New Orleans, the legendary performer’s hometown. The official halftime theme was declared a “Salute to Louis Armstrong.”

It was the first Super Bowl theme that paid tribute to an important figure especially one that happened to be black, and Fitzgerald was one of two women who were chosen to perform.

Carol Channing, an American actress, singer and comedian known for starring in Broadway and film musicals, was also selected. The two women became the first “celebrity” singers in Super Bowl history.

Even though Channing dazzled the fans when she took the stage to sing “When the Saints Go Marching In,” Fitzgerald’s performance was the game-changer.

She performed “Mack the Knife”, which got her into history books as the first African-American woman to perform at a Super Bowl halftime show.

Fitzgerald was joined by trumpeter, bandleader Al Hirt for the historic rendition of Satchmo’s classic “Mack the Knife.”

Pic Credit: sfjazz.org

Unfortunately, Fitzgerald’s performance wasn’t recorded and the details surrounding the performance are scarce since there weren’t any documented interviews. Yet, the audience enjoyed her performance, marking it as one of the best.

Hailed as “The First Lady of Song,” Fitzgerald, with her unique, flexible, wide-ranging, accurate and ageless voice, was the most popular female jazz singer in the United States for more than half a century.

She could sing sultry ballads, sweet jazz and imitate every instrument in an orchestra. She worked with all the jazz greats, from Duke Ellington, Count Basie and Nat King Cole, to Frank Sinatra, Dizzy Gillespie, and Benny Goodman.

Born on April 25, 1917, as a troubled teenager following the death of those closest to her, Fitzgerald bunked off from school and lived on the streets.

It was in the summer of 1938 that she found real success with a 19th-century nursery rhyme that was brought up to date by Van Alexander who regularly sold arrangements to Chick Webb.

‘A-tisket A-tasket’ hit the right note with record buyers and it made No.1 on the American hit parade.

A year later, Webb passed away from spinal tuberculosis and for the next few years, Fitzgerald kept his orchestra together, billed as Ella Fitzgerald and her Famous Orchestra but things didn’t turn out so well.

Fitzgerald would later make her first appearance at Jazz at the Philharmonic in 1949, which marked a turnaround in her career. Fitzgerald continued to rise above all circumstances and uplifted herself in music.

In her lifetime, she won 13 Grammy awards and sold over 40 million albums. She performed at top venues all over the world and packed them to the hilt. Her audiences were as diverse as her vocal range, her website says.

Fitzgerald passed away on June 15, 1996.

[face2faceafrica]
Ella one of the best.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I have now cleaned up the thread. Once again, I must remind everyone:

1. You are free to debate ideas and bring forth your opinions about the issues posted. If you do not agree with the issues, you have the right to dissent and explain your objections to the issues. Please do so respectfully.

2. Please understand what this thread is about. This is a thread dedicated to discussing race relations. It is not a thread to spread and promote racist ideologies. It is not a thread to derail race issues. It is not a thread to advertise your insensitivity to race issues.

3. Any posts that are considered insensitive, inappropriate, abusing or demeaning will not be tolerated and will be deleted. Making racially insensitive comments is not tolerated. Promoting problematic and divisive posts is not tolerated. They may also result in disciplinary action.

4. In general - Bullying, baiting, provoking or mocking posters is still not tolerated. This needs to stop. If someone is being problematic, this can be reported. It does not need to be escalated in the thread.
Don't use the word "free" or "freedom" when you don't have the foggiest idea of what that means, it's such a beautiful and meaningful word, it deserves a lot better than that.
Stick with your ideological non-sense newspeak buzzwords like divisive and problematic.

3341 - 3360 of 3403 Posts