Tennis Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3475 Posts

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
FYI I answered but despite my white privilege (are Italians white? not sure) my opinion was censored.
If you are from the north, probably. From the south, perhaps, it depends. Italians are very different from each other. Südtirol is almost Austria for example.

·
Registered
32,817 Posts

y: Brittany Johnson
Posted: Jan 20, 2020 / 10:50 PM MST / Updated: Jan 23, 2020 / 01:38 AM MST

OGDEN, Utah (ABC4 News) – A junior varsity basketball player at Ben Lomond High School was handcuffed and detained following his game on Friday at Cedar Valley High School.
Laval Stephens, 16, says he and a group of his teammates were sitting on the Cedar Valley side watching the varsity game when an administrator from Cedar Valley High asked them to move.
Laval told ABC4’s Brittany Johnson, he asked the school official why he had to move if he wasn’t doing anything wrong.
“I was just asking, ‘Can you please give me a reason why I have to move? Is there anywhere in the rulebook that says I have to move?’ “
According to Laval, he agreed to leave the area and walked with his coach back to Ben Lomond’s side of the gym.
The basketball player said while he was walking with his coach, a deputy with the Utah County Sheriff’s Department approached him, and that’s when things escalated and took a turn for the worst.
“When he told me to leave he said, ‘You have five minutes to get outside or you’re trespassing.’ So I went outside. I wasn’t being aggressive. I didn’t even touch him.”
“He starts pushing me in the back and then said ‘You’re walking too slow.’ He grabbed me in the back and started pushing me out the door,” Laval recalled.
“I felt like it was unnecessary because I didn’t do anything. He didn’t even take my backpack off. He just put my hands behind my back. My backpack was weighing down on my hands. It was hurting so bad and the rocks were freezing cold.”
The student-athlete, who says he was not the only Ben Lomond player on the opposing team’s side, believes he was targeted because of his skin color but says it was important for him to stay calm during the ordeal.
“I didn’t want to get shot. I see young black men get shot every day. I didn’t want to be a hashtag.”
“It just broke my heart. It broke my heart,” LaTanya Stephens, Laval’s mother said, with tears running down her cheeks. “He’s never been in trouble. I just felt like they went so overboard.”
LaTanya and her husband Vincent believe the police officer could have better handled the situation with their son.
“He immediately targeted my son, threw him on the ground, treated him like an animal, and radioed for backup like he was a criminal,” said Vincent Stephens.
“He [police officer] didn’t diffuse it. He came in there like he was holding the school hostage. I’m very upset and I’m getting down to the bottom of it,’ LaTanya said.
Jon Rentmeister, another Ben Lomond parent, was at the game and witnessed the incident. Jon told ABC4 News that he noticed, “Laval was in trouble” and walked outside to record what was going on.
“I saw the officer get behind him and start doing the push thing – push, push,” Jon explained, while doing a push motion with his hand. “That’s what kind of bothered me.”
“What made you record the incident?” asked ABC4’s Brittany Johnson.
“I thought the way it was being handled wasn’t right. Had it had been my kids I would have hoped someone would have done the same thing,” Jon replied.
Jon’s wife, Melissa, was also in attendance for the game. From her vantage point, the situation escalated when the officer got involved.
“The officer and the administrative person decided to insert themselves and escalate the situation that didn’t need to be. He was already going back with his coach. There was no problem,” she said.
The mother of current and past Ben Lomond athletes said putting Laval in handcuffs was unnecessary.
“This kid is not threatening, he doesn’t have a weapon, he’s not resisting, he’s not talking vulgarity, nothing!”
Laval was not arrested but says he is still shaken from what happened.
“I kind of feel humiliated. I just feel embarrassed at this point.”
In an email on Monday, Utah County Sheriff’s confirmed to ABC4 News that it is investigating the matter.
ABC4 News reached out to Alpine School District. A spokesperson confirmed the incident is under investigation but declined our request for comment.
Jer Bates, Communications Director with Ogden School District, emailed the following statement:
“We are aware of the situation. Because the incident involves a student I cannot comment on any specifics. I am only able to say that administrators from both schools along with the Utah County Sheriff’s Office are working together to investigate this incident.”
Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,190 Posts
A black man in Michigan tried to deposit checks at his bank. The manager called police.

Ironically, the checks that Sauntore Thomas tried to deposit were from a settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Sauntore Thomas, right, and his lawyer, Deborah Gordon, left, on Jan. 23, 2020 in Bloomfield Hills, Mich.

Jan. 24, 2020, 11:51 AM EST
By Minyvonne Burke
An African American man who went to his local bank in Michigan to deposit checks had the police called on him by a branch manager suspecting fraud.
Ironically, the checks, totaling $99,000, that Sauntore Thomas, 44, sought to deposit at TCF Bank in Livonia were part of a court settlement for a racial discrimination lawsuit against his former employer.

Now Thomas, an Air Force veteran, has sued his bank's holding company, TCF Financial Corp., alleging racial discrimination.
The suit filed this week in Wayne County Circuit Court says Thomas has had a checking account at the bank since 2018, and he went there on Tuesday asking the branch manager to open a savings account for him so he could deposit the checks.
But the manager became suspicious that the checks were fraudulent and questioned Thomas about where he got them, the suit alleges.
The manager told Thomas that the checks would need to be verified, but that the computer system the bank uses to verify checks was not working. In order to complete Thomas' transaction, the manager said she would need to go in the back and "call in the checks," the suit says.
Instead of trying to verify the checks, the suit claims that the manager refused to deposit them and then went into the back to call Livonia police. Four officers arrived at the bank and questioned Thomas about the checks.
Thomas called his lawyer on the phone to have her verify where he got the checks from but that still did not satisfy the branch manager.
Defendant still refused to deposit the checks," the suit states. "TCF Bank subsequently filed a police report against Plaintiff for check fraud."

Thomas eventually left the bank and went somewhere else to deposit his checks. The lawsuit claims that Thomas' race "was a factor in Defendant's decision to treat him less favorably than other individuals."

Thomas reiterated that sentiment during an interview with the The Associated Press.

“They did not want to assist me because I was African American. They didn’t want to assist me because they assumed that I had a fraudulent check, which was far from the truth," he told the outlet, adding, "This was no mistake."

A spokesman for TCF did not immediately return NBC News' request for comment. The bank told the Detroit Free Press in a statement that the police should not have been called on Thomas and that it apologizes for what happened.

“We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind,” the bank said. “We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash, and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.”

The lawsuit says Thomas was humiliated by the incident and suffered mental anguish and emotional distress. He is seeking damages.

I hope he wins his lawsuit :mad:

·
Registered
39,339 Posts

·
Registered
32,817 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Notice how in all of the stories posted here, the quote unquote victim "believes" they were targeted because of race. There is absolutely no evidence to back it up in any case, and they are always first to inject race into the picture. Every. Single. Time.

Sorry, but most of us are immune to the race card now. We literally couldn't care less about any of your made up grievances.

·
Registered
52,304 Posts
So what was the outcome of all this? This is very disturbing that this officer didn't have a badge number... What if he wasn't a real officer? A Zimmerman type...pfft

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
Notice how in all of the stories posted here, the quote unquote victim "believes" they were targeted because of race. There is absolutely no evidence to back it up in any case, and they are always first to inject race into the picture. Every. Single. Time.

Sorry, but most of us are immune to the race card now. We literally couldn't care less about any of your made up grievances.
A perfect example of a bigoted racist fool. One day you might realize that no one gives a hoot about what you think.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Daryl Davis is an R&B and blues musician, activist, author, actor and bandleader. He also is the author of "Klan-destine Relationships: A Black Man's Odyssey in the Ku Klux Klan".

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

·
Registered
39,339 Posts
Student Who Refused To Cut His Dreadlocks For Graduation Will Be WALKING The Red Carpet At The Oscars Thanks To Mathew Cherry, Gabrielle Union & D. Wade!

Jan 31 | by _YBF

photo deandrearnold1.png

Texas teen DeAndre Arnold was told he had to cut his dreadlocks to walk across the stage at his graduation. Well, Black Hollywood has stepped up and invited him to walk the red carpet at this year’s Oscars ceremony! He also copped a scholarship for college! Get the feel good deets inside…

DeAndre Arnold – a former senior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas – was told he had to cut his dreadlocks in order to walk during his graduation ceremony. Now, he’s gearing up to walk the red carpet at the 2020 Academy Awards. Woot!

DeAndre wore dreadlocks his entire high school career and made sure to pin them up to comply with the school's dress code, but the school changed the policy before graduation (right before Christmas break) and told him if he didn’t comply, he would NOT be able to walk. His hair is culturally important to him as a part of his dad’s Trinidadian roots.

Since he refused to cut his hair, the school suspended and banned him from walking during the graduation. The nerve.

Well, Black Hollywood got wind of his story and decided to do something about it.

Oscar nominee Matthew Cherry, actress Gabrielle Union and retired NBA player Dwyane Wade (producers of “Hair Love”) teamed up to invite DeAndre and his mother, Sandy Arnold, to the Oscars.

“Since Deandre Arnold’s school didn’t want to let him walk at his graduation because of his hair we figured that he should walk with us on the red carpet at the #Oscars,” Matthew Cherry tweeted.

The “Hair Love” team (along with Dove) will pull out the red carpet for DeAndre and his mother. They’ll “provide full wardrobe and glam for the big night" for both him and his mom. Sweet! “Hair Love” is an Oscar-nominated animated short film that tells the story of a black father who wears his own hair in locs and learns to do his daughter’s hair.
"We've all been so inspired by your story and this is the very least we can do to thank you for standing up for yourself and for your right to wear your natural hair at school," Matthew said.
Before the school changed the policy, DeAndre complied to the rules, tying his hair up to keep it out his face and off his shoulders. However, the females in the school who had long hair were able to wear their hair down. Hmph.
“It’s crazy! I never thought that people like D Wade and Gabrielle Union would be ... on my side,” DeAndre said on “CBS This Morning.” "The film is about hair love, and me and my hair kind of grew up together. In a way, it’s like we’re best friends.”
Aww!

Before appearing on “CBS This Morning,” he appeared on the “Ellen DeGeneres Show” where singer/Grammy host Alicia Keys surprised him with a $20,000 scholarship.

Watch the touching clip below:

DeAndre said he wants to go to college to become a veterinarian because he loves animals. Our hearts are full!

Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (who also has locs) showed his support on social media, tweeting: “Never cut your locs Deandre Arnold.”

DeAndre has since changed schools amid the controversy:

photo deandrearnold2.png

The 92nd Academy Awards will premiere live on Sunday, February 9th at 8pm EST/5pm PST on ABC.

Have fun at the Oscars, DeAndre! We can't wait to see you and your mom on the carpet!

Photos: CBS This Morning

[The YBF]

????????

·
Registered
32,817 Posts
These racist ass administrators will never stop the bs. To damn much.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Student Who Refused To Cut His Dreadlocks For Graduation Will Be WALKING The Red Carpet At The Oscars Thanks To Mathew Cherry, Gabrielle Union & D. Wade!

Jan 31 | by _YBF

photo deandrearnold1.png

Texas teen DeAndre Arnold was told he had to cut his dreadlocks to walk across the stage at his graduation. Well, Black Hollywood has stepped up and invited him to walk the red carpet at this year’s Oscars ceremony! He also copped a scholarship for college! Get the feel good deets inside…

DeAndre Arnold – a former senior at Barbers Hill High School in Mont Belvieu, Texas – was told he had to cut his dreadlocks in order to walk during his graduation ceremony. Now, he’s gearing up to walk the red carpet at the 2020 Academy Awards. Woot!

DeAndre wore dreadlocks his entire high school career and made sure to pin them up to comply with the school's dress code, but the school changed the policy before graduation (right before Christmas break) and told him if he didn’t comply, he would NOT be able to walk. His hair is culturally important to him as a part of his dad’s Trinidadian roots.

Since he refused to cut his hair, the school suspended and banned him from walking during the graduation. The nerve.

Well, Black Hollywood got wind of his story and decided to do something about it.

Oscar nominee Matthew Cherry, actress Gabrielle Union and retired NBA player Dwyane Wade (producers of “Hair Love”) teamed up to invite DeAndre and his mother, Sandy Arnold, to the Oscars.

“Since Deandre Arnold’s school didn’t want to let him walk at his graduation because of his hair we figured that he should walk with us on the red carpet at the #Oscars,” Matthew Cherry tweeted.

The “Hair Love” team (along with Dove) will pull out the red carpet for DeAndre and his mother. They’ll “provide full wardrobe and glam for the big night" for both him and his mom. Sweet! “Hair Love” is an Oscar-nominated animated short film that tells the story of a black father who wears his own hair in locs and learns to do his daughter’s hair.

Before the school changed the policy, DeAndre complied to the rules, tying his hair up to keep it out his face and off his shoulders. However, the females in the school who had long hair were able to wear their hair down. Hmph.

Aww!

Before appearing on “CBS This Morning,” he appeared on the “Ellen DeGeneres Show” where singer/Grammy host Alicia Keys surprised him with a $20,000 scholarship.

Watch the touching clip below:

DeAndre said he wants to go to college to become a veterinarian because he loves animals. Our hearts are full!

Houston Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (who also has locs) showed his support on social media, tweeting: “Never cut your locs Deandre Arnold.”

DeAndre has since changed schools amid the controversy:

photo deandrearnold2.png

The 92nd Academy Awards will premiere live on Sunday, February 9th at 8pm EST/5pm PST on ABC.

Have fun at the Oscars, DeAndre! We can't wait to see you and your mom on the carpet!

Photos: CBS This Morning

[The YBF]

????????

How hard is it to follow a simple dress code rule? This kid is going to have a rough life. He is being taught the wrong lessons and being celebrated for it by the usual suspects.

Yet again, this is a story that actually has nothing to do with race, it's just an uppity person just playing the victim card to gain attention.

Fact, I live right down the street from his (former) school and I can tell you for sure that the majority of the kids in this area are raised brilliantly. It's very impressive, more so than anywhere I have ever lived. I'm not sure what happened to this kid that he has to be different. I am glad the school is standing strong. I promise you that this is not a school that is going to cave and change their policy or even apologize like you are all hoping. Major props for standing strong! Follow the rules or GTFO. No loss here. That is what makes this community great.

3301 - 3320 of 3475 Posts