Tennis Forum banner

3281 - 3300 of 3304 Posts

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
We've all seen the awesome film Green Book, where certain people who "seem" racist at first turn out to be the most accepting when it really matters.

·
Registered
39,055 Posts
And many here have experienced and seen reality we choose not to ignore.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not surprisingly, @JN is doing more harm than good for the cause here, (whatever the "cause" is, I still don't know after all these years what exactly these people want). What do you want, free stuff? A black president? Equal opportunity laws, affirmative action? Oh wait, we have all that in America. Like, what would make you shut up and relax and enjoy your life before it's over? We all witnessed people turn off the NFL by the millions, so certainly nobody cares what you have to say either, but you can keep trying.

·
Registered
32,735 Posts
Not surprisingly, @JN is doing more harm than good for the cause here, (whatever the "cause" is, I still don't know after all these years what exactly these people want). What do you want, free stuff? A black president? Equal opportunity laws, affirmative action? Oh wait, we have all that in America. Like, what would make you shut up and relax and enjoy your life before it's over? We all witnessed people turn off the NFL by the millions, so certainly nobody cares what you have to say either, but you can keep trying.
What would make me happy is for you to stick your head in the toilet and flush.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,337 Posts
Hilarious!

"Amazing: this mook wrote an entire article premised around the idea that Peter Kirsanow, as "a white man," had no right to criticize the 1619 Project...and obviously didn't bother trying to Google him or else he would have discovered that he's BLACK."

·
Registered
14,503 Posts
I'll criticize the 1619 project. It is positive to bring to light the atrocities of the French, Spanish and English explorers and colonizers. But, it goes too far in it's premise that the foundation of the U.S. political system is corrupted. The U.S. Constitution was brillantly crafted and it's flexibility allowed for amendments that helped equalize rights among all races.

·
Registered
14,503 Posts

·
Registered
39,055 Posts
I'll criticize the 1619 project. It is positive to bring to light the atrocities of the French, Spanish and English explorers and colonizers. But, it goes too far in it's premise that the foundation of the U.S. political system is corrupted. The U.S. Constitution was brillantly crafted and it's flexibility allowed for amendments that helped equalize rights among all races.
That's rich coming from a tRump acolyte. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
39,055 Posts
'Just Mercy' Attorney Asks U.S. To Reckon With Its Racist Past And Present

January 20, 2020 9:00 AM ET

Heard on Fresh Air
Terry Gross

Fresh Air

41-Minute Listen

Bryan Stevenson is the author of the memoir Just Mercy, which was recently adapted into a film starring Michael B. Jordan. Rog Walker/Paper Monday

The third Monday of January is a U.S. federal holiday honoring the late civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr., but two Southern states — Alabama and Mississippi — also use the day to celebrate Gen. Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate forces during the Civil War.

Public interest lawyer Bryan Stevenson lives in Alabama and is the founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, which works to combat injustice in the U.S. legal system. The new movie, Just Mercy, is an adaptation of his 2014 memoir of the same name. He says that the fact that his state honors Lee at all — let alone on the same day as King — is a sign that America has not acknowledged the evils of its past.

"In the American South, where I live, the landscape is littered with the iconography of the Confederacy," Stevenson says. "We actually celebrate the architects and defenders of enslavement. For me, that has to change if we're going to get to the kind of healthy place I think we need to get to."

Stevenson has traveled the world, observing how other cultures address the injustices of the past. He notes that Johannesburg, South Africa, has a museum and monuments that "talk about the wrongfulness of apartheid." In Berlin, he says, "You can't go 200 meters without seeing markers and stones placed next to the homes of Jewish families that were abducted during the Holocaust."

"But in this country," he says, "we don't have institutions that are dedicated and focused to making sure a new generation of Americans appreciates the wrongfulness of what we did when we allowed lynching to prevail and persist, what we did when we created racial apartheid through segregation."

Continued @ NPR

·
Registered
39,055 Posts
3281 - 3300 of 3304 Posts