Tennis Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With three other sisters, i think, why don't the other girls play tennis? Rather, why didn't richard williams set his other daughters down the path of tennis stardom?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
No, the older sisters are from Oracene's first marriage, hince their last names are Price. Anyway, Richard has always said that the other girls liked playing, but didn't really take an interest in it like Venus and Serena did. My guess is that Richard wasn't in their lives when they were 4yrs old, so that could have influenced V&S's "interest" in the sport.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Agree the thing is in the williams 'story' Richard saw a womens tennis match and saw how much money she won and goes to orecene 'We need 2 more kids' Why not use the ones they had?:rolleyes: :confused:

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
I'm sure that there is a sister that is one year old that Venus. It's her who makes Richards "lets go make babies to play tennis" story so didgy ...

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
I thought he hide her babypills

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
If they are not his biological kids then that could be the reason

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,447 Posts
Isha, Yetunde, and Lyndrea are all step-children of Richard, like HAIL-VENUS stated.

As for those that believe the "let's have 2 babies so they can be tenns players" story......haven't you learned to let what Richard says go in one ear and the other? :)

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Who really knows? But I think Monica_Rules is correct, he didn't see Virginia Ruzici get that winner's check at an L.A. tournament until like '79 or '80, which he says prompted him to have children "born for tennis." But as VSFan1 has correctly stated as well, Richard's statements tend on the dramatic and sensational. Maybe he worked with the other girls but it didn't take or they didn't have the talent. Who knows.

·
25,594 Posts
Ok Ok-can somebody clear up how many brothers and sisters Venus and Serena have? From what I'm getting so far:

Oracene has 3 daughters from one marriage.(Are these the sisters we sometimes see on TV at matches?)

Richard has ? children from a previous marriage. At least one son, Richard Jr.

Then Venus and Serena. Are they the only children Richard and Oracene had together?

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I'm with VSFan1 aka Joshua L. about Richard's comment. I mean, what would they have done if they'd had two boys!

·
Banned
692 Posts
Well Duh if he was tihnking the same way he would of introduced his boys to the ATP. God or NFL

·
Banned
1,870 Posts
i heard a commemntator say during a venus match once that the reason venus and serena were the only ones who really got into tennis was because they were the best athletes amongst all the children. richard knew it when they grew up. so he encouraged them. i say he's got a good eye...

·
Banned
692 Posts
Did u see Smokey Mountain today Marshmellow?

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I have often wondered about this too. But now I know that they're not Richard's daughters it makes sense, since he is the driving force (and coach) behind Venus & Serena.

Does anyone have pictures of them? Cause I have seen them cheering during the US Open and they seem a little um... overweight? :eek:

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Two are somewhat, um, overweight (lawyer and nurse), the youngest is VERY well built ( the grad student).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts