Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the beggining of this year, the players that lose in the first round of $10K tournaments would win no points and that wouldn't count as a tournament. But in this week's ranking there were two Portuguese players that entered the ranking and I'm sure that they didn't play any tournament. They hadn't more points, but they had more tournaments. Also, there were a lot of other unranked players that entered the ranking. So did they change the rules at middle of the season? :confused:

·
Premium Member
181,839 Posts
thats something that needs checking
i've only seen the rankings that far low now

I'll see what i can find out :eek:

·
Premium Member
181,839 Posts
WTA reply :we have had some problems with this in the past and I see we are still looking into it. :eek:

Reactions: The Guilty

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TheBoiledEgg said:
WTA reply :we have had some problems with this in the past and I see we are still looking into it. :eek:
Thanks again :)

So, they still aren't sure about keeping things that way. :eek:

·
26,903 Posts
That's really weird. :eek:

Compared to last week's ranking, there are 26 more ranked players this week (1263 instead of 1237).
Also notice that the lowest ranked players, Sonia Iacovacci and Marta Torres Torres ;), only have 0.5 points but have 3 tournaments listed; same for no. 1256 Sevvy Gallios (0.75 points but 4 tournaments).

So yeah, obviously they now count the first round losses as tournaments.
But does that mean that you can enter the rankings with 3 tournaments and 0.00 points ? ;)

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
hehe I noticed that yesterday too! I was wondering how on earth do you get a ranking with .5 points because the least pointsd you can get is .25 :rolleyes:@wta! ;)

·
Premium Member
181,839 Posts
they will have it sorted next week

Liz Schroeder:
There was an error with putting these girls on the rankings this week and it will be corrected May 5. When the criteria change in the $10k, the computer had to be updated and I just missed these.

·
Enemy of Art
14,039 Posts
Hilarious! :D

I hope these rankings are used for a lot of entry lists so these girls can utilize their fleeting fame :D

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Another question:

I have noticed that they are now counting qualifying points EVEN FOR PLAYERS WHO MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST ROUND IN THE MAIN DRAW.

Is this also a mistake?
I though the qualifying points are dropped if the players cross the 1st round in the main event.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
danielrosario said:
Another question:

I have noticed that they are now counting qualifying points EVEN FOR PLAYERS WHO MAKE IT PAST THE FIRST ROUND IN THE MAIN DRAW.

Is this also a mistake?
I though the qualifying points are dropped if the players cross the 1st round in the main event.
No, if you qualify you keep your points no matter how far you go in the tournament. I think the rule you mean is if you are a Lucky Loser!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts