Tennis Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question,

When Shikha Uberoi defeated Martina Muller in that 10K event some weeks ago, she was not able to collect the prizemoney as she was amateur. Does that mean that all juniors on the pro circuit are "amateurs" and all other young players who play for universities etc? What makes someone qualify as an amateur as opposed to being a pro? I did not know Shikha played juniors, if that is the case, but I guess she does as she was declared an amateur and therefore is not entitled to any prizemoney. Hope someone can clear this up. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
172,296 Posts
not all juniors are amatuers, some turn pro while still playing juniors.

ones who don't declare themselves as having turned Pro can't receive any prize-money

Alex Stevenson was supposedly an "Amateur" when she made that run in 1999 Wimbledon
her mother threatened to sue the organisers if they withheld her money saying that she had turned Pro :rolleyes:

Not sure about rules in US regarding NCAA players but i think they have to be amatuer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.