Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first want to say that this is in no way, shape or form meant to be offensive. I'm just curious as to why you dislike Anna Kournikova so very much. I have gathered from many of your posts that you do not like all of the attention she receives, but I have never read anywhere why this bothers you so much. Actually, I can understand why it would bother you, so my question is really, Why do you dislike Anna so much when it is not her who is giving herself the attention? If anything, I would think you would dislike the media who gives her the attention, not Anna herself. Also, you obviously have very good insight into tennis, as is shown in many of your posts. So I'm also curious as to why you think Anna is such a joke, when anyone who knows anything about tennis, whether they like her or not, concedes she is a very good player. I am just curious as to where this immense dislike of Anna stems from. Please understand, this is not meant to be disrespectful in anyway, as I find you to be one of the most knowledgable tennis fans on this board. I am simply wondering what Anna has done in your mind to warrant your dislike of her.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I cannot answer for Janie, but I have known her long enough to say that she tries to be very impartial in her writings concerning any player, including Anna Kournikova. I think what Janie is trying to object to is the tendency of fans (not just Anna fans, but fans of specific tennis players) to look at their favorite player through rose colored glasses. Janie has always stated that Anna is a very talented player, who has vastly underachieved in singles @ this point in her career. Janie has always stated that Anna is a good doubles player, but she feels, as I do, that Anna needs to make some drastic changes if she ever hopes to achieve anything as a singles player. That is an idea that I believe any fan of tennis can concur with.

Of course, I will state again, that I am projecting what I believe to be Janie's feelings. I have known her for a long time and I have never found her to be partial or cruel to anyone. She is much too kind for that.

BTW, I disagree with you that Anna does not seek attention for herself. If she didn't want attention outside of her tennis, why else would she do modeling shoots, movie bit parts and music videos? Anna enjoys the attention she gets and there is nothing wrong with that. The problem is that her tennis results don't match the attention she gets off the court and that is why so many people question her commitment to the game.

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
Janie doesn`t like Anna but I am sure when Anna would win something she will be the first one to gratulate her and she never realy insults her either, she only makes fun sometimes but he so do I and I don`t dislike her at all:)

·
Registered
17,915 Posts
Thank you everybody, you said it exactly right! :hearts: :hearts:

I will ABSOLUTELY congratulate Anna and her fans if she wins something. Anna the TENNIS PLAYER, I am very objective about; in fact, I predicted on the Tennis Week message board that she would win that Auckland title.

What I dislike the most is this pretence by Anna that she herself has not invited the attention of the media when the truth is, as apoet said, she has posed provocatively all over the planet and makes a lot of money from selling her sexy looks. I agree with apoet that there is nothing wrong with her making money this way, but don't pose for magazine covers, Zoo trips, and sexy calendars and then say you are only about TENNIS. How dense does she think we are?
I can't think of one real tennis champion who would not have rather died than taking a slew of photographers to the Zoo right after being eliminated in the first round of a Slam. Her actions say "I'm about Celebrity" even as her words say, again and again, "Tennis Only!"

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
I think that Anna's background must be taken into account when assessing her personality and manipulation of the media. Yes, Janie, you're right that she does have a tendency (almost reminiscient of Princess Diana) to court the media and then complain that the attention isn't on her tennis.

But if you think about her childhood, living in poverty, with tennis as her only means up and out of Soviet Russia, you can see that this attention seeking is partly insecurity and partly sheer exuberance at having made it.

She reminds me of Natasha Zvereva in the sense that Natasha also had to work hard to make it and then just relaxed and enjoyed her tennis too much to be a real success at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts