Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I get sucked into watching Kids' Day on tv because I am dying for the US Open to get underway and I think, well I will see a few players having fun, etc.

Then every year I am groaning and rolling my eyes through the kiddie musical acts and other shenanigans, all to see about 5 minutes of a few players trying to hit targets on the court, laughing and talking, etc.

So I always end up thinking, What did I waste my time with that for? :rolleyes: Yet, I am 99% sure I will get sucked in again this year. :D :mad:

What do you guys think of this show

Note: I am 100% in favor of the Kids' Day idea and its charitable work. It is only how it comes across as tv entertainment that I am commenting on, so no need to excoriate me on that point. :angel:

·
Banned
947 Posts
janie said:
Every year I get sucked into watching Kids' Day on tv because I am dying for the US Open to get underway and I think, well I will see a few players having fun, etc.

Then every year I am groaning and rolling my eyes through the kiddie musical acts and other shenanigans, all to see about 5 minutes of a few players trying to hit targets on the court, laughing and talking, etc.

So I always end up thinking, What did I waste my time with that for? :rolleyes: Yet, I am 99% sure I will get sucked in again this year. :D :mad:

What do you guys think of this show

Note: I am 100% in favor of the Kids' Day idea and its charitable work. It is only how it comes across as tv entertainment that I am commenting on, so no need to excoriate me on that point. :angel:
i've never watched it on tv but i attended arthur ashe kids day with my daughter and my grandson 6 years ago and i know what you mean. i was getting bored with the hokey exhibition matches but seeing my grandson all excited made it worthwhile.

·
Registered
17,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I think it would be a lot of fun to attend in person --WITH children. Plus, then you get the glow of knowing you have contributed to a worthy cause, which helps to deal with a bit of boredom! :)

·
Banned
947 Posts
janie said:
Yeah, I think it would be a lot of fun to attend in person --WITH children. Plus, then you get the glow of knowing you have contributed to a worthy cause, which helps to deal with a bit of boredom! :)
exactly! it wouldn't be as dull if cbs made a preview show to balance it out. they arbitrarily forecast the open in between hits and giggles when they should've a taped a half hour (or one hour) us open preview show to air before or after arthur ashe kids day.

also, cbs should've been compiling footage from the entire american hard court season, giving results complete with some type of chart handicapping the players based on their results. their job is to build excitement for their coverage but they fail miserably every year. even their late evening daily results show is perfunctory at best.

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
I like to watch pros in some exhibition events, like hit a target or doubles...

I hate all the singing crap... not into that kinda music

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
It used to be fun when Hingis was there. They would always have those skills competitions featuring top men and women's players and Martina would always win, beating Agassi, Pete, and any woman they could find.

·
Veelieve!!!
32,883 Posts
Well it's called kids day for a reason... The kids there are more interested in seeing their favourite entertainers... "some" couldn't care less which tennis players showed up- as long as they have fun :eek:

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
I saw it for the first time last year. They were playing the game where they were trying to hit the targets, and Serena started slow and not hitting any targets. Me and my brother said to each other "she needs to start grunting" and then sure enough after going awhile without hitting much, she starts grunting and starts to pick the targets off. It was funny. :lol:

They could save the musical guests though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts