Tennis Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time I upgraded my win 98 to win XP was 6 months ago but I had to reinstall all my hardware and I didn't feel like looking for all the installation CDs. I'm a bit messy....

But today I had collected everything I needed and so I felt like installing win XP again. Everything went well and after a few hours the installation was completed.

One thing wasn't working though....
I couldn't connect to the internet and when I checked the settings I saw that my password had changed. I couldn't see in what way it was changed because I only get black dots but instead of the usual 8 characters I had 16. :eek:. So I reset my password back and clicked on OK but when I checked back it had again changed to 16 characters. :mad: So I couldn't connect to the net anymore :sad:....

Anyone knows what the problem is and how I can solve it?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
41,227 Posts
hmmm just make sure you have the right password.. it doesn't mean anything that it shows 16 characters..it could be just a mask (I have win2000, so don't know how it is in XP)

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Where exactly do you need to enter the password?

Can't you ask the helpdesk at your Uni?

·
6,694 Posts
When I reinstalled XP a while ago, I had to use one of those ISP CDs you get, which gave me the option to open a new account, or reactivate a dormant one, which is what I did. It gave me a temporary account so I could download a new connection kit. I suppose it depends on the ISP and whether you're using dial-up or broadband, so I don't know how helpful that is.

·
Team WTAworld, Administrator, aka Nibbler
5,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Willow said:
When I reinstalled XP a while ago, I had to use one of those ISP CDs you get, which gave me the option to open a new account, or reactivate a dormant one, which is what I did. It gave me a temporary account so I could download a new connection kit. I suppose it depends on the ISP and whether you're using dial-up or broadband, so I don't know how helpful that is.
I dunno....

The weird thing is that when I start my computer, I can connect to the net the very first time. My password is accepted and it loads the page I've set as my homepage. But then it simply blocks. I can't access any other sites and I get disconnected. When I try to connect again it tells me that my password is invalid but I haven't changed it.

I hate computers...I really do....

·
6,694 Posts
I hate them too...fortunately, I spend a lot of time at a computer music forum, cos that's what I use mine for, and there are some very knowledgable people around to answer all my dumb questions...unfortunately the most helpful one has just gone on holiday...:rolleyes:...but he usually recommends this place:

http://forum.pcplus.co.uk/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts