Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might seem as a stupid question but can someone explain to me how the points in the rankingsystem work? I understand most, how much points you get in which tournies and that you get extra points if you beat high-ranked players, but I don't understand what is meant by the points they have to defend. How does that work? Certain poinst fall away after a year, but how exactly does it work? (I'm trying to understand what will happen with clijsters after RG so maybe you could take that as an example if you want to explain). If you won the tournament last year (and so got maximum points) does this mean that you have to defend all those points and can't gain any new? I don't really understand. Is there a nice soul that wants to explain this? thanks:)

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Well,

I don't understand this completely well, but I could try to explain.

A player gains points for the round she reaches and for the players she beats, so she gains a certain amount of points for each tournament.

The following year, when she plays a tournament, the points she gained the previous year are substracted, and the points she gains this year are added, so, if she won the tournament the previous year, she can only earn points at the end of the tournament if she beats better- ranked players than the previous year.

I hope this is more or less clear

·
Premium Member
181,957 Posts
MS is right about that ..... you defend the points you earned last year and can only improve your position if you can more points than you did last year.

Maximum points ..... no one has ever achived that as its impossile, but you can get as close to it as you can.

* Sometimes getting to a round less might mean you gain more points, all depending on quality points.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts