Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me for sounding insensitive, but I feel like it is a legitimate question.

Corina Morariu seems to be getting a lot of WC's. I think she is an amazing fighter and inspiration, as well as one of my favs, but she gets into a lot of WTA events for someone with a ranking so low. Why is it that she gets all the WC's for coming back from leukemia when...

Somebody like Sonya Jeyaseelan had brain cancer, was out for relatively the same amount of time, and gets no help at all. I think she got one WC to Canadian Open qualifying last year and that's it. Apart from that she's been playing satellites and challengers on her own ranking or an injury protected that. Anybody know the reasoning for this?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
One factor is probably that as an American, Morariu gets a lot of wild cards in the US events, whereas Sonia's limited in the amount of time she can play in canada. Also, because Morariu was better known, her story was more publicised, and lets face it, its really good press to have a human interest story if you're hawking for media interest in your event. Your point is a valid one though, but I'm sure someone's gonna flame you for it!

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JonBcn said:
One factor is probably that as an American, Morariu gets a lot of wild cards in the US events, whereas Sonia's limited in the amount of time she can play in canada. Also, because Morariu was better known, her story was more publicised, and lets face it, its really good press to have a human interest story if you're hawking for media interest in your event. Your point is a valid one though, but I'm sure someone's gonna flame you for it!
I see your point, but Morariu got many of her WC's in tournaments outside of the US.

Don't put me down here, I love Corina and watching her play, but I feel like Sonya's "human interest" story is as good as Corina's, and it was largely ignored.

·
Registered
21,357 Posts
what was Sonya Jeyaseelan's ranking when she got sick? (or when it was discovered).
Morariu had won slams in doubles and mixed. I guess that played a part too but still it would not be fair if Jeyaseelan didn't get any help at all

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
irma said:
what was Sonya Jeyaseelan's ranking when she got sick? (or when it was discovered).
Morariu had won slams in doubles and mixed. I guess that played a part too but still it would not be fair if Jeyaseelan didn't get any help at all
Sonya was around the mid 150s because she was something like 2-16 on the year, but her cancer probably had something to do with it. Same reason Corina was in the high 60s/low 70s and not playing particularly well, as well as complaining of constant fatigue.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I think it all has to do with:

1. Corina was higher ranked at the time, more of a top player.

2. Corina is more well known, increasing the popularity of the tournament, by adding her fans, making them more money.

3. Corina has won some GrandSlam titles.

·
Registered
35,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cookie Box said:
Since Morariu has come back she got 4 main draw WC:

Los Angeles
U.S. Open
Waikoloa
Wimbledon

4 is "a lot"???

Waikoloa is a small tournement, and it's normal she got one at LA and at the US Open, she is American.
Didn't she also get one to a grass court tuneup and one asian tournament last fall? If you consider that she only came back in August, was done in early October with her shoulder, and then came back in Mid-May, 6 WC's in a stretch of not even four months is a lot.

·
Registered
656 Posts
She has wildcards...and she also gets special rankings for 9 tournaments, some she didn't use yet because of her surgery. But, they give Anna K. wildcards, why? Because she draws people, and publicity, same in this case. Well, almost. Haha.

·
Premium Member
27,133 Posts
I hate to say this but I think Morariu is being used as a publicity stunt.

She's more 'marketable' because she's had more publicity - like her doubles partner being a top player. Or like JenCap's 'get well soon' sign at the French open.

Of course, she has earned a lot by the fact that she has been a top ranked doubles and highly ranked singles player as well.

It's not necessarily a bad thing though - Morariu seems happy to talk about her story and raising awareness about leukaemia so there are other benefits drawn, outside of tennis.

Jeyaseelan has had little attention in comparison. Although her story is certainly as inspiring for all we know she might prefer it that way.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
Sonya J had a very serious tumor in her head...but she never had cancer.

Granted, that's barely relevant...but it still has to be said. Overall, though, I agree with the original sentiment.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Morariu sells tickets to me! Haha. She also know who I am :) She wrote me a letter and said she carried my letter that I gave her in Philadelphia around with her for months. I am totally inspired by her, and as long as she does well in tournaments, I don't care how she gets in!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
AgassiGirl16 said:
She also know who I am :) She wrote me a letter and said she carried my letter that I gave her in Philadelphia around with her for months.
Woot! Go you :)

Were you also the girl that won an essay contest writing about Corina?

·
Registered
309 Posts
AgassiGirl16

The new issue of Australian Tennis magazine (August 2003) has a 3 page article on Andrew Turcinovich (Corina's former husband) (with 1 colour pic of Andrew and 2 colour pics of Corina) and a 2 page article on Corina (including 2 colour photos of Corina). The articles are interesting and Andrew and Corina are very respectful towards each other.

www.tennismag.com.au

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.