Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
65,154 Posts
Congrats to Luda on qualifying for the MD of Wimbledon! :D

Seeded 9 in qualies, she beat WC Megan Davies 7-6(3) 6-0 in Q1, and 2nd seed Seone Mendez (#46, CHR 25) 3-6 6-1 6-2 in Q2 :yeah:

She'll face 16 yo 6th seed Bianca Andreescu (Top 10 in juniors, Top 700 in pros) in R1 though :scared:

Bianca is very talented but she was out with an injury from right after the AO till last week, so she's lacking match play and all and it definitely evens the chances between the 2. ;) GL Luda! :cheer:

·
Premium Member
65,154 Posts
She lost 3 & 2 to Bianca :awww: :hug:

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
she won her 2nd 10 k today... she also changed coach months ago

·
Registered
44,007 Posts
Absolutely incredible week from her in El Espinar this week claiming her very first 25k title. :worship:
Did not drop a single set and never lost more than 4 games in a set. :eek: Capped it off today by beating third seed Basak Eraydin 6-2 6-0 in the final. :yeah: She will also make her Top300 on the back of this result.

·
Registered
44,007 Posts
Liuda enters the Top200 for the very first time on the back of a fantastic run in St. Malo. :worship:

Q1: d. Catherine Chantraine 6-4 6-2
Q2: d. Emeline Dartron[WC] 6-4 4-6 6-2
Q3: d. Jade Suvrijn 6-4 7-6(3)
R1: d. Harmony Tan[WC] 6-2 6-1
R2: d. Myrtille Georges 6-7(5) 6-4 6-3
QF: d. Diana Marcinkevica[Q] 7-5 2-6 6-2
SF: d. Irina Maria Bara[6] 7-6(4) 7-5
F: d. Katarina Zavatska 6-0 6-2 :worship:

Got more convincing again towards the end of the week. :yeah: Would secure her GS debut in Melbourne, if she makes the trip. :eek:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
GS debut for Liudmilla!

AO QD

A. Kalinina(5) v M. Di Giuseppe
A. Myers(WC) v J. Loeb
L. Samsonova v G. Da Silva Fick(WC)
Ar. Rodionova v K. Muchova(28)

Reactions: Sarat_Mafin

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
She won her first match 64 46 63 :yeah:

·
Premium Member
65,154 Posts
Liuda has qualified for RG! :D :bounce:

After nearly losing to former fellow countrywoman Martina di Giuseppe (beat her 6-7(4) 7-5 7-6(2) :scared:) in Q1, she scored convincing straight-set wins over (23)Sachia Vickery (WTA 136/CHR 73), 2 & 5 in Q2 yesterday and (10)Marie Bouzkova (WTA 121), 4 & 3 in Q3 today :yeah:

She has drawn (23)Donna Vekic (WTA 23) in R1 - hoping for a good match! :cheer:

·
Registered
7,306 Posts
Didn't notice that Liuda has decided to play for Russia again. Good decision :yeah:
She's trying to qualify for Wimbly MD. Won her first match with ease.

·
Registered
54,079 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
US Open qualifying

Ludmilla won her first match in NY against Marcinkevica 61 64 :yeah:

Next match against Fourlis of Australia

·
🐟🐟
4,613 Posts

(Google translate)

WTA Brisbane, Samsonova: "Now I am aware that I can play it"

Liudmila Samsonova qualified for the Brisbane WTA Premier. A great satisfaction for the Russian girl who, however, cannot fail to be considered without the many relationships she has with Italy.

It is the first time for her in a Premier and tomorrow she will have the chance to face someone like Sloane Stephens in one of the heaviest scoreboards of the season with an enviable and phenomenal park.

The service makes an impression, and after the good run in the Queensland qualifiers the figure emerges strong: 24 ace in 3 games including 5 yesterday against Kristina Mladenovic, submerged 6-1 6-4, and another 5 today in 7-6 (4 ) 6-4 against Marta Kostyuk. And the feeling was that there could be many more, because what he gets with the joke is a huge slice of his game. It needs strong, varying trajectory and with tests in the last period which, he says, have made it even more effective: "I have improved it a lot in the last two months, it's true. I found something that served me a lot, especially on the launch, and it gives me too much more security ". Actually the numbers don't lie, and already in Limoges 25 aces had been seen in three games. There are several double fouls, but many seem almost to feel that she is trying something more precisely for a factor of greater safety which she then reiterated: “Yes, I am worried about the idea of a double foul, but now I go , I try". And this philosophy follows a bit the last period where she herself feels a different person than before: “Inside me something has changed, in the sense that first I understood that I could do more and then that I became a little tired of waiting just because I understand that I can do it and I want to do it as fast as possible ”. It stopped, then: "It is difficult for me to explain, it is more a fixed thing I have in my mind, an awareness that I now have that I can actually play on an equal foot against these players".

In addition to the service, however, today he did excellent things with the forehand, fundamental from where very heavy shots came out, especially when the ball was on the left side of the field and could aim towards the cross. She travels a lot, and to win today she had to be very ready to play several because Kostyuk especially in the final phase of the first set had raised the level so much and seemed close to taking the partial on 6-5 after recovering from a dangerous 15-40: " In my opinion, between the two shots I actually improved the backhand more, actually. Maybe from outside it is less noticeable because I have always played very well with the forehand, but as you said there are enough small details to make it turn even better, but yes I don't think that now I'm playing a shot that “wow! how it has improved! ", I seem to have always done it rather well".

Followed here in Australia by Alessandro Piccari, Samsonova is now close to being among the top 100 in the world: “It may be a goal, of course, but I don't want to limit myself to that. Work is important to me. At that point the results arrive. Maybe slowly ... ". It was born in 1998, we noticed it a few years ago in Melbourne when it was still among the juniors. He had pruned a great success at home in the first round against the Canadian Charlotte Robillard Millette, then number 4 of the seeding category, and in a room full of Italians he revealed two things. The first was on his idol: "Maria Sharapova". The second on the dream in the drawer: "I want to become number 1." Situations that in the end turned a little against her: "Yes, I had a lot of pressure on me. Then yes for those words now that I think about it sincerely I wasn't really aware of what I was saying, at least I wasn't as I am now. I had no idea how it was built, how difficult it was, and when you find yourself it is really complicated. "

From there, for the next three years, Liudmila's path has been more cumbersome than expected. Yet the qualities are there, although inevitably it has been very slowed down by a very unnerving personal and bureaucratic situation: “Now I don't even think about it anymore. When I come back I can apply because I have all the requirements to do it, but I don't know how it will go ”. She had rolled her eyes when we asked her for an opinion on the matter: "Everyone asks me ...". And he's right, given that a year has passed since contacts with the Italian federation have completely shut down. It remains incredible, if anything, as there was no one who wanted to help her and she too, when we entered the topic, appeared however rather bitter: "Now I do it for myself and that's it."

In terms of tennis, on the other hand, he put together three wins of great value, especially for that clear affirmation against Mladenovic in the second match played: “The most beautiful, absolutely. It gave me enormous satisfaction. Today against Kostyuk however it was very hard. Maybe even more than in the first one, where I played more than three hours (he won 7-6 6-7 6-4 against Kayla McPhee) even if he doesn't seem to. The first one I don't think I played very well, while today I felt that I was playing well and she led me to do even more. " She who qualified for Roland Garros last year, however, admitted with a big smile that perhaps a little more satisfaction here because they have been three wins against excellent players and that give her the opportunity to be on a scoreboard with almost only top 25 players at the beginning of a year which can be important in many ways.

Tomorrow, Tuesday, she will play the fourth game in four days and against her there will be Sloane Stephens, ex top 5 and Slam champion. "I will try to do what I do best," he said, "I know little about her. I've seen her play several times, of course, but I've never really studied her and I'm very curious now to see what happens. " On the sidelines, a joke about the chance she had of being paired with Sharapova, her idol since she was a child: "Yes" in a firm voice, "I hoped, very much, until the last minute. I wanted to be drawn against her. I kept my fingers crossed all the time. Would have been nice…".

41 - 60 of 64 Posts