Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two giant killer, Nadia Petrova, who took out capriati and Vera Zvonerava, who defeated VENUS, will face off against each other in the Roland Garros quarter finals.
How appropriate that these two knockoff artist will now try and knock each other off.

Petrova played well and beat a Capriati that was firing her shots well, but was just well outplayed by the little Russian.
Zvonerava played very well against VENUS, but did receive considerable help from her opponent as well.

Even though Vera is the higher ranked player, if Petrova player her as she did Capriati, she should beat the Russian teenager.

However, the better possible future matchup could be a Clijsters/Zvonerava match that would put hot teenagers against one another in what could be a very good three set match.

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Nadia certainly likes pace and that helped her against Capriati. I think that Vera should take advantage of her game and loop some more of her shots instead of giving Nadia a good, clean ball. I think this tactic is Vera's best chance at winning. Vera is more of a scrapper, the surface possibly favors her, and she is probably tougher mentally at this point even though Nadia is older. However, if Nadia played the way she did the other day against Jen, I just can't see Vera beating her.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ptk - I do have to somewhat agree with you because Petrova played an opponent who was more on their game than VENUS was that day.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Tee, why does Venus get capital letters while Capriati gets lower case letters? ;)

Clijsters is still a teenager? I find that hard to believe.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Until next week or so, Kim is still a teenager. :p

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Oops! I thought I had you, Tee! :p I can't believe a girl as womanly as Kim Clijsters is still a teenager! :eek: Kim is a great girl and a potentially great player! :D

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the cat - Yeah, Kim ate the same meals as a child that SERENA did. :)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Well Nadia is only 20, I believe.;)

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nadia is too old, she is not a teenager. :)

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
:rolleyes: I would never have thunk the day when 20 is too old for society. I'll be 19 in a couple of months.:eek:

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Tee, Kim has nearly the same physique as Serena, too! :D Especially in the lower body. :bounce: How did she do that?

·
Banned
1,174 Posts
There are two camps for this match:

The Petrova camp--Everyone in the world.

The Zvonerva camp--Jon Wertheim

Everyone is heavily favoring Petrova except Wertheim who is almost laughing at Nadia's chances. My view is this: Petrova has to be favored based on her recent play BUT her high-risk game is more likely to go off track. Vera plays very steadily and is more match tough so I think it will be three sets either way.

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One can not be too overconfident after a win over a top player who had a very big off day.

Petrova should win this match.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts