Rus vs Kudryavtseva
(4) Townsend vs Konjuh
(wc) Eden Silva vs K. Bondarenko
(5) Arruabarrena vs Katy Dunne
Broady vs (10) Vikhlyantseva
(6) Vickery vs Bains
Kimberly Birrell vs (9) Nara

Btw, Sorry for spelling errors, I just can't read all names! :eek:
What, no spare double player (apart Dabrowski and Hlavackova ) on site to fill the holes?

No Aoyama?

By the way so many good players have preferred to play the Southsea ITF, less risk and chances of an higher reward.

·
Registered
40,099 Posts
That’s probably the worst qualifying draw they’ve had in years. Anyway I’ll be there as always cheering everyone on. Townsend v konjuh is the stand out match for me.

·
Registered
16,418 Posts
players that in Wimbledon Qualifiers are not allowed to enter any tournament that same week. That's why you see a draw like this.

Why do some players have a BYE here?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
All the lowly locals who might have plugged gaps are in pre-qualies

Looks like Eden Silva got here tout de suite after her R1 pre-qualies loss.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I find it very confusing that Silva is the only one to make the trip after losing today. :shrug: What About Burrage, Taylor, etc. :shrug:
I don't know. I was wondering the same. I'm not sure what the schedule was like today - maybe they played later and missed the deadline?

If so, it's poor planning by the organisers. I'd have thought a place in Eastbourne qualies would be a decent consolation prize for those who missed their chance for Wimby.

·
Registered
83,439 Posts
:lol:

64 MD before a slam :lol:

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Only top 375 players are allowed to enter premier events. Plus WTA full members can sign in on site regardless of their ranking. Everyone else needs a wildcard.
The official draw actually clearly states: "last direct acceptance 365 + 1 OSA (On Site Alternate) + 2 FM (Full Members) + 3 byes"

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
The official draw actually clearly states: "last direct acceptance 365 + 1 OSA (On Site Alternate) + 2 FM (Full Members) + 3 byes"
So the last direct acceptance is Kudryavtseva. The two full members are Dabrowski and Sestini Hlavackova.

But don't know who is the On Site Alternate.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
How common were situations like Mertens-Vickery?

It seems as though the new rules have screwed about a hundred players, and massively weakened the Q-draws of the pre-slam tournaments, for the sake of avoiding what was a pretty rare occurrence.

Maybe a rule that you can't enter a Q-draw of a slam if you retire from a tournament in that week would have sufficed. And obvious tanking can already be penalised by rules covering "best effort".

·
Registered
3,053 Posts

It seems as though the new rules have screwed about a hundred players, and massively weakened the Q-draws of the pre-slam tournaments, for the sake of avoiding what was a pretty rare occurrence.

Maybe a rule that you can't enter a Q-draw of a slam if you retire from a tournament in that week would have sufficed. And obvious tanking can already be penalised by rules covering "best effort".
Not just the new rule.

Check the entry list of Southsea 100K ITF starting Monday:

Petra MARTIC
Johanna LARSSON
Monica NICULESCU
Carina WITTHOEFT
Tatjana MARIA
Kirsten FLIPKENS
Kateryna KOZLOVA
Magda LINETTE
Pauline PARMENTIER
Anna Karolina SCHMIEDLOVA
Vera LAPKO
Alison RISKE
Jennifer BRADY

All players that could have easily be into Eastbourne Quali, or even MD, but have instead preferred a supposed easier tournament that gives any way a lot of points.

It is ITF that is making a serious competition to WTA.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,057 Posts
Yes, the order goes like this.

1. Top 375 players, who entered.
2. Top 375 players, who sign in on-site.
3. Non top 375 players, who are Full WTA members, who sign in on-site.
4. Additional wildcards.
5. Byes.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
77,057 Posts

Mertens-Vickery might have been the final straw, but it happened all the time. It's just terrible optics for WTA to have players playing, who have no intention to give their best.

And it's nowhere near hundred players affected. Plus all these players are now free to play tournaments during the second week of Wimbledon, which they would have not had they played Eastbourne+Wimbledon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts