Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better late than never:lol:
What a day!!! I'd been waiting for this day for a long time and it was very very glorious. Qualies Saturday in Quebec City is so cool because there is 2 courts there which means many matches in a row on both courts and play lasts well into the evening!
I got there around 8:40am, 20 minutes before play started and the first player I saw was Stephanie Dubois. She was doing an interview and was dancing to Madonna between takes:lol:
I talked to her after and she said she was there early getting used to the courts and was very excited about being there. I got her autograph and wished her luck.
After this I met Charlda(CD), Max(maxomax), Shaun(canuck), and Troy, and we set out to watch all of the matches.
9 Canadians played in all! One of them won:eek: and it was probably the most unlikely to win, 14 year old Gabriela Dabrowski, although she had a pretty easy match. She played Tweedied-Yates, who reminded me of Mauresmo, in appearance. Tweedie-Yates really didn't look like she cared and Gabriella was so into it and won easily.
Not such good news for the other Canadians:
Beetham lost to Carly although Beetham hit some great shots and has huge potential.
Cretu lost to Ostertag. Cretu has a great backhand and actually had a set point but Ostertag closed her down in the end. I really like Ostertag, she is cute ,and sweet, I'm happy she did so well.
Jillian O' Neill lost to Fuda. Jillian started off beautifully taking a 5-2 lead and just hitting amazing groundstokes. Then I think she may have injured her leg and Fuda won 10 straight games and the match.
Fichman lost to Spears. I thought Sharon would win this but Spears was on and Sharon didn't play well until late second set and then it was too litlle too late.
Shulaeva lost to Olaru. This was a great match. Both players were so into it. Shulaeva has great potentil but today Olaru was on fire in the third set and took it.
The best Canadian match of the day was Heidi El Tabyk against Szavay. I thought Heidi would get killed but she played beautifully and was in it the whole match. A few points really decided this one. I have so much respect for her. She is beautiful, sweet, and really could be Top 200 if she commits herself and learns to play the big points better.
All in all it was a glorious day, I met some great friends and some great players.
Please feel free to ask me some questions.

·
Registered
54,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great report! Did you see any of the Haynes/Ditty match, and, if so, could you please tell me about it?
I actually did see quite a bit of that match. I thought Haynes would win easily but Ditty was playing amazing, great groundstrokes, great angles. Haynes was really into it too, like she wanted it. So I thought she would come back, which she did and sent it to a third set, but Ditty continued playing really well and won the third set. Haynes was really upset. I met her before the match and she is very very nice. She walked off with my pen lid and I was like Angela could I get my lid back? And she was like OMG, I'm so sorry:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts