Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justine Henin def. Serena Williams three sets

I haven't seen enough of Serena's matches to feel confident on this pick, but Serena has struggled all clay season when she faces top spin junkies (Schnyder, Sequera.) Juju is a master of using topspin to full effect on red clay. I think she'll have Serena pinned behind the baseline and making errors for a set and a half. Serena will then impose her superior power to make a match of it, but I think the French crowd will ultimately push Juju over the top for a tough, three sets win.

Nicole Vaidisova def. Jelena Jankovic three sets

I have seen a lot of Nicole's matches. She's playing the most patient tennis I've ever seen her play. She's directing her balls deep to the corners, but is only going for winners off safe shots. Her return has been crushing as always, as has her serve (just unbelievably good.) She is sliding very well and looking quite comfortable on clay. We know how Jankovic will play. She will run balls down, won't go for big shots if kept on the run, will hit deep, will look to use her backhand, will make silly forehand errors and will give up lots of opportunities on serve. I just keep going back to one thing: when Venus got her first serve in, Jelena was in trouble. Venus does not return aggressively anymore; thus Jelena got away with her serve that match. I don't think Vaidisova will be as kind. I think she'll make enough errors for Jelena to win a set, but Nicole has not been getting frustrated, and has many more weapons than Jelena.

Ana Ivanovic def. Svetlana Kuznetsova three sets

I think the Berlin final showed us a lot of things: 1. Sveta gets tired at the end of matches (thanks to Bruno for making me see this while rewatching the tape.) 2. Ana almost always starts out in control of the point against Sveta. 3. Sveta has trouble transitioning from defense to offense. I expect these trends to continue. Ana was intimidated by the occassion in her previous RG QF. That won't happen this time. She is talking like Maria was talking when she won Wimbledon. Sveta can win if she hits lights out on her FH and makes Ivanovic move. I just think Ivanovic will serve and return too well for that to happen. Another marathon.

Maria Sharapova def.
Anna Chakvetadze straight sets

Maria really did get the easiest slam draw in recent memory. Chakvetadze claims clay is her least favorite surface, and it shows. She wins by taking time away from more powerful opponents--effectively re-directing the power they generate with minimum power lost. She has serious trouble generating her own pace (as demonstrated on serve and whenever she gets a short ball.) Clay returns Sharapova the time she would have lost, because Chaky gets less initial power to work with after the bounce, and her flat balls sit up and lose even more power after they bounce on Maria's side. Chaky will have a hard time attacking Maria's serve (goes back to inability to generate pace). If Maria has a normal ground day, she'll win in straight sets. Chaky's only hope is that Maria makes an overwhelming number of errors. Now on carpet, this would be quite a different story.

·
Premium Member
15,686 Posts
I have to say that I feel the exact same way about every match but I'm still not comfortable picking justine or serena in that match for me its too close to pick one over the other but once the match begins I have a feeling i'll be able to pick pretty quickly

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
ye i think i agree pretty much with all your predicitions, i mean there all hard enough to call but i can see most of them goin that way.

·
Banned
13,295 Posts
Strange that all your faves are going to win

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I actually disagree with most of your picks.

Serena/Henin imho is just even. Since Rena has the head 2 head, I'll go with her. Plus her draw imho was harder up to this point.

Nicole. She bangs the ball and bangs the ball. Jelena Jankovic if healthy and with fresh legs should beat Nicole in straights. She'll expose her movement and patience. Jelena in 2

Sveta will win in straights. She's playing good tennis and she plays well in France. Ana is a bit slower than Kuzzie. Kuzzie in 2.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I actually disagree with most of your picks.

Serena/Henin imho is just even. Since Rena has the head 2 head, I'll go with her. Plus her draw imho was harder up to this point.

Nicole. She bangs the ball and bangs the ball. Jelena Jankovic if healthy and with fresh legs should beat Nicole in straights. She'll expose her movement and patience. Jelena in 2

Sveta will win in straights. She's playing good tennis and she plays well in France. Ana is a bit slower than Kuzzie. Kuzzie in 2.

Anna C, is a tricky player. I think she has the goods to beat Sharky on the red clay. If she can move the ball around I think she has a shot.

·
Registered
17,865 Posts
serena beats henin in three
jj beats nikol in two
ivanovic beats svetlana in three
sharapova beats anna in three

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Serena d. Justine 7-6(7) 5-7 6-3
Jelena d. Nicole 6-3 4-6 6-2
Svetlana d. Ana 6-4 7-5
Maria d. Anna 6-2 7-6(5)

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
Serena def Justine
Jankovic def Vaidisova
Ivanovic def Kuznetsova
Anna C def $harapova

·
Team WTAworld, Lounge Owner
44,144 Posts
Justine def. Serena in three
Jelena def. Nicole in three
Sveta def. Ana in three
Maria def. Anna in two

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Serena d. Justine in 3
(Going out on a limb here, it seems that every day my picks for these two change but I think Serena is showing a lot of determination and Justine perhaps will go off the boil a bit...I think it will be tight though)

Jelena d. Nicole in 3
(Problem I'm noticing with Nicole is her inability to close out points at the net against retrieving players. Sure she has great shot-making ability, but against a player like Jankovic who will get everything back, she can't just rely on baseline engagement. Her determination is there though, so I'll give her a set).

Sveta d. Ana in 3
(I'm actually not too sure about this one, but I think Sveta is playing really well on clay at the moment. Ana is playing terrific too, but the fact that Medina Garrigues got a set off her shows she might have a problem similar to Nicole's...Anyway, I stand by the fact that Sveta would have beaten Ana in Berlin if she wasn't so fatigued from beating Henin, so I'm going with Sveta).

Maria d. Anna in 2
(Maria you have surprised me! Even though Patty may have choked [I didn't see the entire match] you beat her and that will give Maria confidence. This draw is an easy one for Maria and I agree with mboyle about Anna's inability to generate power. Even if Maria makes a mess of this match serve and fault wise, she should win).

·
Registered
18,049 Posts
Justine Henin def. Serena Williams 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
Serena will come out of the blocks blazing, but Justine will prove to be too versatile and too consistent.

Jelena Jankovic def. Nicole Vaidisova 7-6(3), 6-3
Jelena will run every ball down, and frustrate the hell out of Nicole, who will become frustrated and hit too many costly erros.

Ana Ivanovic def. Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-1, 7-5
This match really does not interest me

Maria Sharapova def. Anna Chakvetadze 6-4, 6-4
Seriously, a quarter final :eek:

·
Your fav could never....
9,163 Posts
Justine 6-4 3-6 6-3
Jelena 6-4 6-1
Sveta 3-6 6-2 7-5
Maria 6-3 6-3 :tape:

MBoyle, your clearly are bias in ur decisions.
You love Nicole and you think Jelena is a tennis hog does that equate to a rusty Nicole winning the match! ;)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think you are generally one of the most intelligent posters on this board, but I have to say that I don't agree with any of those predictions except the Henin/Serena one. Just goes to show that all of these matches have the potential of being very close. I'm looking forward to Tuesday!

Justine Henin def. Serena Williams three sets

I haven't seen enough of Serena's matches to feel confident on this pick, but Serena has struggled all clay season when she faces top spin junkies (Schnyder, Sequera.) Juju is a master of using topspin to full effect on red clay. I think she'll have Serena pinned behind the baseline and making errors for a set and a half. Serena will then impose her superior power to make a match of it, but I think the French crowd will ultimately push Juju over the top for a tough, three sets win.

Nicole Vaidisova def. Jelena Jankovic three sets

I have seen a lot of Nicole's matches. She's playing the most patient tennis I've ever seen her play. She's directing her balls deep to the corners, but is only going for winners off safe shots. Her return has been crushing as always, as has her serve (just unbelievably good.) She is sliding very well and looking quite comfortable on clay. We know how Jankovic will play. She will run balls down, won't go for big shots if kept on the run, will hit deep, will look to use her backhand, will make silly forehand errors and will give up lots of opportunities on serve. I just keep going back to one thing: when Venus got her first serve in, Jelena was in trouble. Venus does not return aggressively anymore; thus Jelena got away with her serve that match. I don't think Vaidisova will be as kind. I think she'll make enough errors for Jelena to win a set, but Nicole has not been getting frustrated, and has many more weapons than Jelena.

Ana Ivanovic def. Svetlana Kuznetsova three sets

I think the Berlin final showed us a lot of things: 1. Sveta gets tired at the end of matches (thanks to Bruno for making me see this while rewatching the tape.) 2. Ana almost always starts out in control of the point against Sveta. 3. Sveta has trouble transitioning from defense to offense. I expect these trends to continue. Ana was intimidated by the occassion in her previous RG QF. That won't happen this time. She is talking like Maria was talking when she won Wimbledon. Sveta can win if she hits lights out on her FH and makes Ivanovic move. I just think Ivanovic will serve and return too well for that to happen. Another marathon.

Maria Sharapova def. Anna Chakvetadze straight sets

Maria really did get the easiest slam draw in recent memory. Chakvetadze claims clay is her least favorite surface, and it shows. She wins by taking time away from more powerful opponents--effectively re-directing the power they generate with minimum power lost. She has serious trouble generating her own pace (as demonstrated on serve and whenever she gets a short ball.) Clay returns Sharapova the time she would have lost, because Chaky gets less initial power to work with after the bounce, and her flat balls sit up and lose even more power after they bounce on Maria's side. Chaky will have a hard time attacking Maria's serve (goes back to inability to generate pace). If Maria has a normal ground day, she'll win in straight sets. Chaky's only hope is that Maria makes an overwhelming number of errors. Now on carpet, this would be quite a different story.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Serena Def Justine 6-4 6-3
Jankovic Def Nicole 6-4 3-6 6-4
İvanovic Def Kuznetsova 7-5 7-6
Chkvetadze Def Sharapova 7-5 7-5

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Serena Williams d. Justine Henin in 3
These are the sort of matches that Serena plays for and, based on both their fourth round performances, I'm going to go for Serena in 3. Against Safina, she was playing incredibly solid, crushing the ball on both wings with great control. Justine may very well step up her game for this match but Justine does have the tendency to play a few sloppy games which allow her opponents back in the game...she won't get away with this from Serena. Also, I know they have both said the past is behind them, but that infamous semi-final will be at the back of their minds for sure.

Jelena Jankovic d. Nicole Vaidisova in 2
Jelena has been a different player these last few months; she's won titles (Tier 1s and on clay no less!) and she's beaten stiff competition in the road to the QFs so far. Nicole has had a very simple draw as yet and with her wrist injury and lack of matches, I feel Jankovic will just be too dominant.

Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Ana Ivanovic in 3
The reason I think Sweatlana is going to win this match is because I wonder about Ana's mentality at the latter ends of a Grand Slam. She's only ever reached a QF of a Grand Slam before and I just don't think she has enough experience yet to handle the pressure. Svetlana has gradually been improving and her clay-court style will greatly support her in her match against Ana. Also, Ana went to 3 sets against Medina Garrigues, a clay-courter. How will she fair against a better clay-courter? Kuzy will also want revenge for Berlin and so, with everything in consideration, Sveta in 3.

Maria Sharapova d. Anna Chakvetadze in 2
It's funny how the most interesting and fascinating match of the fourth round evolves into the least interesting and fascinating match of the QFs. Clay is both of their least favourite surface and so I doubt we'll see great clay-court tactics. The reason I pick Maria in straight sets is because everything is in Maria's favour. Maria is more powerful, has a better serve (even with the injury), she moves better on clay, much stronger mentality... and most importantly, Maria has had a test in the tournament, coming back from 2 match points vs Schnyder. Maria should be overwhelmed with confidence and this is why she'll make her first ever RG semi final.

·
Registered
17,700 Posts
Henin def. S. Williams (might go either way)
Jankovic def. Vaidisova (this one too)
Kuznetsova def. Ivanovic
Sharapova def. Chakvetadze

·
Registered
315 Posts
Serena Williams d. Justine Henin in 3
These are the sort of matches that Serena plays for and, based on both their fourth round performances, I'm going to go for Serena in 3. Against Safina, she was playing incredibly solid, crushing the ball on both wings with great control. Justine may very well step up her game for this match but Justine does have the tendency to play a few sloppy games which allow her opponents back in the game...she won't get away with this from Serena. Also, I know they have both said the past is behind them, but that infamous semi-final will be at the back of their minds for sure.

Jelena Jankovic d. Nicole Vaidisova in 2
Jelena has been a different player these last few months; she's won titles (Tier 1s and on clay no less!) and she's beaten stiff competition in the road to the QFs so far. Nicole has had a very simple draw as yet and with her wrist injury and lack of matches, I feel Jankovic will just be too dominant.

Svetlana Kuznetsova d. Ana Ivanovic in 3
The reason I think Sweatlana is going to win this match is because I wonder about Ana's mentality at the latter ends of a Grand Slam. She's only ever reached a QF of a Grand Slam before and I just don't think she has enough experience yet to handle the pressure. Svetlana has gradually been improving and her clay-court style will greatly support her in her match against Ana. Also, Ana went to 3 sets against Medina Garrigues, a clay-courter. How will she fair against a better clay-courter? Kuzy will also want revenge for Berlin and so, with everything in consideration, Sveta in 3.

Maria Sharapova d. Anna Chakvetadze in 2
It's funny how the most interesting and fascinating match of the fourth round evolves into the least interesting and fascinating match of the QFs. Clay is both of their least favourite surface and so I doubt we'll see great clay-court tactics. The reason I pick Maria in straight sets is because everything is in Maria's favour. Maria is more powerful, has a better serve (even with the injury), she moves better on clay, much stronger mentality... and most importantly, Maria has had a test in the tournament, coming back from 2 match points vs Schnyder. Maria should be overwhelmed with confidence and this is why she'll make her first ever RG semi final.
this is 1 of the best intelligent , objective, unbiased posts I have read here in the last month. kudo to you!!!:)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts