Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty amazing.. we have 4 matches , with very close odds in all of them..

In every single one of them, according to bookmakers, there is a favourite, who, though is not an overwhelming favourite at all..

The closest one, according to bookies, are Henin and Maria quarters, where William Hill gives odds 1:57-2.25..
I kind of concur with bookies here.. This are two matches where an upset is the most likely.

The biggest advantage is given to Jelena, whose quarters 1.44-2.62 odds, which still consitutes a very significant probability of an upset.
Sveta is given 1.53-2.37 advantage..

Otherwise, no lopsided matches is predicted, which is nice... Tuesday will be a heck of a day.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Gosh, never thought that Jelena would be considered the strongest favorite in her QF. It wasn't that long ago that she & Nicole were vying for the same ranking spots neck & neck. Obviously, it just shows that all the QF's are winnable by all parties.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Gosh, never thought that Jelena would be considered the strongest favorite in her QF. It wasn't that long ago that she & Nicole were vying for the same ranking spots neck & neck.
Perhaps it'd be closer if Nicole had not gotten injured.

And to miss a month and a half almost of tennis, you definitely will lose ground on Jankovic if you know what I mean. ;)

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Perhaps it'd be closer if Nicole had not gotten injured.

And to miss a month and a half almost of tennis, you definitely will lose ground on Jankovic if you know what I mean. ;)
Certainly in terms of ranking. But somehow it seems like Nicole didn't miss a beat in terms of gameplay. That's judging by her serving mostly...her opponents so far haven't thrown anything at her to allow me to come to much of a conclusion about the rest of her game since her return.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
agree.. this is the best slam actually..!!!

what would have happend if clijsters n hingis were put in the mix...

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
A good time to bet on Maria then. No way she's going down.

Jelena having the best odds isn't a surprise actually.

But yeah, all the quarters are good. Should be exciting!

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think Jelena and Sveta are losing...
Then you have an easy money here.. :)

And I don't .. :( as I don't see any upset happening..

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I think Sveta or Ana are beating the living daylights out of Maria :)
Sveta would be hard for Maria to beat on clay. Ana would not be. You also thought Schnyder would beat Maria. You overestimate the importance of one's physical game and grossly underestimate the importance of the intangibles and the "it" factor.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
:) And then on grass neither of their sorry asses will make the second week :banana:
This is not necessary. Also, Ana says grass is her favorite surface, while Sveta has had decent success at Wimbledon in the past (first slam QF.) Ana in particular has an excellent grass game.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Sveta would be hard for Maria to beat on clay. Ana would not be. You also thought Schnyder would beat Maria. You overestimate the importance of one's physical game and grossly underestimate the importance of the intangibles and the "it" factor.
No. What I underestimated was the fact that Patty Schnyder is the biggest midget in the game. Any of the other quarterfinalists except *maybe* Chakvetadze would have beat injured Maria in 2 easy sets yesterday.

With Ana serving the way she is, and Maria serving the way she is, I don't see that matchup being close.

·
Registered
24,264 Posts
This is not necessary. Also, Ana says grass is her favorite surface, while Sveta has had decent success at Wimbledon in the past (first slam QF.) Ana in particular has an excellent grass game.
Well I was kidding.

I really like Ana and Kuzy a lot.

But their prospects on grass aren't nearly as glimmering as Maria's.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
No. What I underestimated was the fact that Patty Schnyder is the biggest midget in the game. Any of the other quarterfinalists except *maybe* Chakvetadze would have beat injured Maria in 2 easy sets yesterday.

With Ana serving the way she is, and Maria serving the way she is, I don't see that matchup being close.
Here's how it would be close:

Maria returns Ana's serve well (which she can do) takes control of rallies off the return and gets Ana to move. Bang. Ana loses serve.

It would be harder on Maria's serve because she'd start in a negative position and she's not good at working her way back into points. However, she found a way to do it against Schnyder, and she will find a way to do it against Ana. Ana does not choke, but she doesn't fight well either. She doesn't get a heightened sense of urgency when things get tight. She plays match point like she plays 3-1; 40-0 first set. The ONLY way Maria is ever out of a match is if she is not serving well AND her opponent can hit winners on her AND her opponent moves better than she does.

Ana fulfills the first two requirements. She does not fulfill the last one. Sveta does. I'd be shocked if Maria beat Sveta on clay right now. However, Sveta does not match up well against Ana.

Also, like it or not, Patty didn't choke that badly. She still hit winners and while her UFEs crept up, it did not do so dramatically. Maria hit amazing shots when she was down. Maria won the match. Schnyder did not lose it. If Schnyder could fight like Maria, she would have won, but if Schnyder could fight like Maria she'd be Justine Henin.

By saying, "Ana and Sveta are playing well. Maria's not (which is arguably untrue anyway). Therefore, either Ana or Sveta would trounce Maria," you are showing the only thing you emphasize in tennis is physical form. You are not looking into the particular styles of a player or how they match up.

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Totally agree, not necessary.....this specific poster loves to cause trouble in threads I've noticed.

Reactions: Lefty.

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
Here's how it would be close:

Maria returns Ana's serve well (which she can do) takes control of rallies off the return and gets Ana to move. Bang. Ana loses serve.

It would be harder on Maria's serve because she'd start in a negative position and she's not good at working her way back into points. However, she found a way to do it against Schnyder, and she will find a way to do it against Ana. Ana does not choke, but she doesn't fight well either. She doesn't get a heightened sense of urgency when things get tight. She plays match point like she plays 3-1; 40-0 first set. The ONLY way Maria is ever out of a match is if she is not serving well AND her opponent can hit winners on her AND her opponent moves better than she does.

Ana fulfills the first two requirements. She does not fulfill the last one. Sveta does. I'd be shocked if Maria beat Sveta on clay right now. However, Sveta does not match up well against Ana.

Also, like it or not, Patty didn't choke that badly. She still hit winners and while her UFEs crept up, it did not do so dramatically. Maria hit amazing shots when she was down. Maria won the match. Schnyder did not lose it. If Schnyder could fight like Maria, she would have won, but if Schnyder could fight like Maria she'd be Justine Henin.

By saying, "Ana and Sveta are playing well. Maria's not (which is arguably untrue anyway). Therefore, either Ana or Sveta would trounce Maria," you are showing the only thing you emphasize in tennis is physical form. You are not looking into the particular styles of a player or how they match up.
I don't know what to say really. Maria was a player at about 50% her normal self, and Patty still had chances to win and didn't. Patty served atrociously, even worse than Maria with her injury. There's no question in my mind that a better player than Schnyder would've taken Maria to the woodshed, with the ineffectiveness of Maria's serve and hugely high UFE count.

As far as matchups, Maria normally matches up well with Ana. But she's not gonna be able to hit Ana's shots with the same ferocity a lot of the time as she did against Schnyder (which in a way could work in her favor...she may actually get a higher % of those shots IN). When Schnyder played to her own strengths she did well against Maria. There was one point in the match where she threw in some vicious, high, spinning lefty loopers and Maria couldn't handle them too well. But Patty never implemented them into a game plan. She'd just try whatever, and hoped it worked. It did half the time.

Ana would obviously need to serve well against Maria for her to have the big advantage I think she has. But there's no reason to think she won't. And she should be able to do some damage on Maria's serve that she couldn't have last year, since Maria's serve is weaker now.

As far as fight goes, no question Maria wins that battle, but I don't think it would be enough.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Some odds changed significantly since yesterday. Henin's and Kuznetsova's odds are unchanged, while Jancovic's odds shortened all the way to 1.36 and Sharapova's to 1.44. People, it seems, betting heavily on Sharapova and Jancovic..

·
Registered
21,902 Posts
Some odds changed significantly since yesterday. Henin's and Kuznetsova's odds are unchanged, while Jancovic's odds shortened all the way to 1.36 and Sharapova's to 1.44. People, it seems, betting heavily on Sharapova and Jancovic..
Glad Sveta is under the radar...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts