Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OMG ANGELA!!

GREAT JOB!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
I predicted this on another board ;)

Haynes is an excellent hitter and a very hard worker. If all her shots go in, that's a scoreline she should have over a player like Grande.

Well done, Angela :)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
OK then - WHO is this girl? Is this her first WTA event? Any success in challengers this year?

·
Registered
35,867 Posts
azza said:
O whoppdedo u preticted it :eek:
Not necessary :(

I wasn't entirely shocked Haynes beat Mashona, but her wins over Vakulenko and now Grande are really impressive. Angela had done a fair approximation of nothing on the tour up until 2-3 months ago. I really hope she can continue her excellent form! Whatever water they're drinking in Compton, I want some of it ;)

·
Premium Member
182,146 Posts
Angela Haynes (25 Sep 1984)

this you can safely say is her biggest win in her career (1st WTA event)
she's won ONE $10k (Houston) this yr and done pretty ok in some other ITF events causing a few ripples along the way

one SF in a $25k
plus two more $10k finals

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mark Newman said:
OK then - WHO is this girl? Is this her first WTA event? Any success in challengers this year?
Not much success at all.

She mostly plays $10K Challengers, and has reached 3 finals, winning one. She also reached a semifinal of a $25K, but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
182,146 Posts
Angela Haynes: Circuit Player of the Week

6/3/03 6:22 PM

Birthdate: Sept. 27, 1984
Birthplace: Bellflower, Calif.
Residence: Compton, Calif.
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 140 lbs.
Plays: Left-handed
Turned pro: November 2001

Angela Haynes of Compton, Calif., captured the first professional title of her young career last week, when she defeated No. 8 seed Alyssa Cohen of Parkland, Fla., 7-6 (8), 4-6, 6-1, in the final of the Houston Pro Tennis Classic. Haynes, 18, who was playing in her second final in as many weeks, started off the $10,000 USTA Pro Circuit event with the biggest upset of the tournament, eliminating top-seed Seiko Okamoto of Japan, 6-3, 6-2, in the first round. She then came from behind to win her next two matches against Neyssa Etienne of Haiti and Shikha Uberoi of Boca Raton, Fla., and notched a straight-sets victory over qualifier Olga Poutchkova of Belarus in the semifinals, before her win against Cohen in the two-hour, 25-minute final.

Haynes, who is in her first full year of competition on the USTA Pro Circuit, also posted excellent results at the $10,000 Terry Walker Memorial/Satellite Tournament of El Paso, Texas, the week of May 19, advancing to the final, where she lost to eighth seed Milangela Morales in a third-set tie-break, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4). She has won nine of her last 10 matches over the last two weeks.

2003 PROFESSIONAL HIGHLIGHTS

Captured the first professional title of her career at the $10,000 event in Houston… Upset top-seed Seiko Okamoto of Japan, 6-3, 6-2, in the first round en route to the final, where she defeated eighth-seed Alyssa Cohen of Parkland, Fla., 7-6 (8), 4-6, 6-1.
Advanced to the final of the $10,000 Terry Walker Memorial/Satellite Tournament of El Paso, Texas… Lost to eighth seed Milangela Morales in a third-set tie-break, 3-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4).
Qualified into the $75,000 event in Dothan, Ala., before losing in the first round to Akiko Morigami, 6-2, 6-3.
Qualified into the $25,000 event in Jackson, Miss., and advanced to the second round, where she lost to Kristina Brandi in straight sets.
Qualified into the $10,000 event in Tallahassee, Fla., and advanced to the second round, where she fell to eighth seed Petra Rampre, 6-7 (4), 6-1, 6-4.
JUNIOR HIGHLIGHTS

Reached the semifinals of the Memphis Clay Courts in 2001.
Won the doubles title (with Ahsha Rolle) at the 2000 Van der Meer International Junior Tennis Championships.
Won the doubles title (with Nicole Pitts) and reached the singles semifinals at the 2000 Spare Time International Junior Tennis Championships.
Finished runner-up in doubles (with Rolle) at the 2000 Regional ITF Junior Tennis Championships – Baton Rouge.
PERSONAL

Father, Fred, is her coach. Has two older siblings: brother, Dante, plays tennis at the University of California-Irvine, and sister, Lamonica, works as an intern in Houston.
Began playing tennis at age 3 after her father and brother introduced her to the sport.
Is an all-court player with a strong backhand and serve.
Favorite playing surface is clay.
Favorite tennis player is Andre Agassi. Admires how physically fit he is.
Graduated in 2002 from the City of Angels, an independent study school in Los Angeles. Plans to attend college one day.
When not playing tennis, enjoys reading and playing on her computer.
After she retires from tennis, hopes to open a tennis academy or coach kids.

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
I saw Angie at College Park, where she lost a 3-hour slugfest in the first round to Lauren Kalvaria. She hits very hard, and after the loss -- mind you, it took three hours -- her coach made her hit balls for another two hours immediately after the match :eek:

You could see there was talent there, I honestly think Kalvaria just outplayed her that day. Lauren has some power herself, runs everything down, and hits some great angles. But Angela played well, and as long as she keeps her head about her, there isn't much of a reason why she cannot have more of these types of wins.

I also talked to her coach during her match, and he said some very interesting things about how her wild card situation would be different if she had "blond hair"... ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Angela was one of the up and coming Junior players featured in Tennis magazine a few years ago along with Jamea jackson. They spoke of how they admired the Williams sisters and their style of play and their clothes and hair of course. She was such asmall girl but now seems she has grown a bit and filled out a bit more. Looks kinda tall. I do remember her coach saying how hard she worked. Physically she kinda looks like what u would get if u did a 50/50 mix of serena and Venus. tall and compact. Should be interesting. I would just die if she turns out to be a top 3 player. then i would move to Compton and eat and drink what they do.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think her father is her coach, Fred Haynes. ;)

·
Enemy of Art
14,038 Posts
I forget his name. He's a big black guy. He was definitely amusing, though he won't sit next to her court while she plays and therefore was shouting encouragement across the court between us and Angie, while Lastra and Embry were playing points. :eek: He frequently apologized to Gaby, though ;)

Is she definitely? I asked him if he thought surely she would get at least a wild card into qualies, and he was pessimistic...but after this week, she almost has to at least get that.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts