Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i like serena, but i am not a big fan in any sense of the word. i just thought i should post something i read that validated my feeling that serena can be GENUINELY classy when she loses. it's from last year, and i am sure people have read it already.

SURPRISED BY SERENA'S ENCOURAGEMENT
In a candid comment, Schnyder admitted she did not expect the reaction she received from Williams after beating the American 2-6, 6-4, 7-5 in the quarterfinals.

"I was surprised by Serena yesterday, what she told me at the net," Schnyder said. "I mean she was really nice and I was surprised. She was really looking into my eyes and saying, 'Yeah, you played a great match and I hope you're going to make it through to win the tournament.' That was really nice because she was not looking at me in the beginning (of the match). She was kind of arrogant. So I was really impressed with that sentence at the end."

i just thought it might bring a bit of closure to the never ending debate, or at least make some serena fans feel good. i know it made me feel happy that patty had the class to acknowledge it. *

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I think Serena is so misunderstood. It's such a shame. People don't really know what to make of her. I can tell she has a good heart, and she's a gracious champion. She always congratulates players at the net, and more often than not, she gives a friendly, supportive pat on the back.

I think that in time, more people will understand that she's harder on herself than anyone else. She sets high standards for herself, and when she doesn't meet them, she isn't ashamed to let people know that she didn't give her best performance. If people were to read her interviews carefully (and those of Venus, too) they'd see that the sisters rarely talk about other players. They often say things like, "I don't know about x player. You'll have to ask her yourself". They usually limit opinions to their own games. So if Serena says her game was sub par that day, then that's all she's talking about---HER GAME. She's not taking credit away from her opponent.

Reactions: Experimentee

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Bright Red, you are truly inspired!

I totally agree. I honestly believe that Serena is a very nice girl. In all of the interviews I read and seeing her live. She's is VERY nice. I've seen her play live three times, and she is SOOOO gracious every time. She is calm, classy and just all-around cool. She signs autographs willingly and she is very gracious with her opponent.

I DO believe that Serena is very hard on herself. She is fiercely competitive and she wants to be perfect at everything she does. So sometimes when she makes comments, it's about HER and not a statement about her OPPONENT. She respects her opponents, and they respect her. Seeing the ladies interact with each other, there is no strong ill-will towards Serena. Sure, she is in a position of envy...but she's real!!

The Patty quote above is a good example. This year at Nasdaq-100, she stated quite honestly that if she wasn't in the final (and probably if Venus wasn't in the final), then she'd be cheering Jennifer to take the title. She's said very gracious things about Martina and Lindsay. She was voted as one of the nicest players by the Australian Open ball boys/girls. Serena is a nice girl. But people see that fierce exterior and they don't like that she routinely punishes their faves and label her things that I honestly don't feel she deserves.

Oh well. She's a champ and she'll continue on winning.

GO SERENA!!! :hearts:

Reactions: Bright Red

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, I do like Serena and her game. I might have said things that prove differently but Serena is a great tennis player and I don't know her personally so I can't really comment about who she is but what I think of who she is when says things.

The thing is when Serena speaks about her game in a match, people can't help but make the assumption about what she's saying about the opponent's game.

If, after losing to Kim Clijsters, Serena goes on to say "My game is not up to standards today and that is why I lost, and Kim played excellently. "

I would think that Serena means if she played normally she would have defeated Kim. So what does that say about what Serena really thinks of Kim's game? I would think that Serena doesn't think of Kim's game as competition on a normal day if she says the reason she lost is coz she had an off day. And that simply is not the truth. And that is why I think Serena sometimes come off arrogant.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I can see how you can think that sometime Serena comes off arrogant. Anyone can.

But I truly believe that Serena focuses her comments on her own performance and game. And I believe that she doesn't mean to discredit her opponents. I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

Interviewers are asking Serena about HER game. And being the perfectionist that she is, it's never going to be good enough for her. Whether that's the reason she loses or win isn't so much the issue. She's addressing her performance. She's focused on Serena.

I believe that Serena has a lot of respect for her opponents, especially Kim and Justine. They also are very gracious and respectful of Serena. I think that the relationships are good amongst the top four. I think sometimes, the fans and media make a bigger deal of what actually goes on. My opinion.

·
Registered
283 Posts
shap_half

Here is the difference between Serena and some other players - She always believes that if she plays her game she wins - even when the other player is playing "excellently".
Now that is a champion's heart. Period. Anyone who takes court to lose shouldn't be there.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Notice how the swamps of critics have been replying in this thread!!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
servenrichie said:
Notice how the swamps of critics have been replying in this thread!!!
LOL, exactly servenrichie :wavey:
Had this been something negative about Serena, this post would now have gone to 3 pages and counting :eek:

And thanks switz for posting it :kiss:

Go Serena with your bad self :devil: :worship:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Raisin said:
LOL, exactly servenrichie :wavey:
Had this been something negative about Serena, this post would now have gone to 3 pages and counting :eek:

And thanks switz for posting it :kiss:

Go Serena with your bad self :devil: :worship:
Gee, one twee comment isn't going to remove the fact she is the most arrogant **** on the tour.

·
Banned
845 Posts
Picol said:
Gee, one twee comment isn't going to remove the fact she is the most arrogant **** on the tour.
You are so hateful it is pathetic. Arrogant or not she has 5 GS can you say that about your favorite player? Let me answer for you..ofcourse not.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
But it's easy to give out compliments when you're a top player with such an easy life. So I really don't think we should be thinking it's such a great thing when they say "nice" things. What about the girls that struggle to make enough money to even support themselves yet are also full of praise of the top players when they lose to them? Now that's admirable.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Messenger incase you missed the whole point. It is said that Serena doesnt compliment her opponents...

Picol, you would have made sense if you werent such a twerp!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I dont understand why people think she is arrogant just because she sometimes says her game was not up to her standards. Shes always been a perfectionist, and just because her game wasnt up to scratch doesnt mean her opponent didnt play well. Its not like if one player plays bad the other player must not have played well. In a lot of cases when Serena loses its both, she played bad and her opponent played well. So when she says she played bad it doesnt automatically mean her oppoenent didnt play well, like some people seem to think.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I don't think Serena gave TeeRexx any credit for his melodious voice when they met. In fact, she gave him something quite different.

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
shap_half said:
Contrary to popular belief, I do like Serena and her game. I might have said things that prove differently but Serena is a great tennis player and I don't know her personally so I can't really comment about who she is but what I think of who she is when says things.

The thing is when Serena speaks about her game in a match, people can't help but make the assumption about what she's saying about the opponent's game.

If, after losing to Kim Clijsters, Serena goes on to say "My game is not up to standards today and that is why I lost, and Kim played excellently. "

I would think that Serena means if she played normally she would have defeated Kim. So what does that say about what Serena really thinks of Kim's game? I would think that Serena doesn't think of Kim's game as competition on a normal day if she says the reason she lost is coz she had an off day. And that simply is not the truth. And that is why I think Serena sometimes come off arrogant.

I think that the "tired" comments at the championships were taken way out of proportion. All of the reporters were asking all of the players whether they were tired or not. Maggie Meleeva blamed results that she had a month before the championships on her loss to Capriati and I didnt see half the crap that Serena took. Serena gave Kim full credit for her win in her interview at the championships. Messenger, I agree with you and Serena has also complemented lower ranked players. She had glowing things to say about Alicia Molik when they played in the finals of the Hopman Cup and has said many good things about the up and commers including Marion Bartoli.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread, Switz.

After reading some of the posts, I've finally realized that some people will only see her as two-dimensional and color her through the lens of their favorite players.

You've made a good effort to present balance to this board.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
servenrichie said:
Messenger incase you missed the whole point. It is said that Serena doesnt compliment her opponents...

Picol, you would have made sense if you werent such a twerp!
I know, just some perspective that's all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts