Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Acura Classic 2003 headline players:

• Serena Williams (replacing Venus Williams)
    Jennifer Capriati
    Lindsay Davenport
    Monica Seles
    Kim Clijsters
    Justine Henin-Hardenne
    Chanda Rubin
    Magdalena Maleeva

source: San Diego entertainment guide

Lindsay so far is entered, I can't get the official acura classic site up don't know what's going on but it doesn't seem to want to work :rolleyes:

If I find anything else, I will post it here - or if anyone else finds anything can you post it here - Thanks :)

-Rachel :wavey:

· Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
......and from the official Acura Classic Website (that eventually works :rolleyes: ), the following article tells of who has committed to the event in San Diego:

WORLD #1-RANKED SERENA WILLIAMS ENTERS 2003 ACURA CLASSIC
3-Time Defending Champion Venus Williams Sidelined by Abdominal Injury

SAN DIEGO, CA, July 19, 2003 – The 2003 Acura Classic today announced that Serena Williams, the #1 ranked player in the world, has entered this year’s tournament, to be held July 26th - August 3rd at the La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, CA. Venus Williams, who has won the San Diego event the last three years in a row, had to withdraw from this year’s Acura Classic due to an abdominal injury sustained earlier in the year and aggravated at Wimbledon, where she reached the finals.

Serena will be making her singles debut at La Costa this year. She has won 6 grand slam singles titles, including 5 of the last 6 grand slam events.

Noted Promotion Sports’ Raquel Giscafré: “While we’ll certainly miss Venus who would have been going for a record fourth straight victory this year, we’re thrilled that Serena will be coming to La Costa. She’s had an incredible run over the past year at number 1 in the world, and perhaps she’ll keep the Acura Classic trophy in the family.”

Full Lineup of World-Class Players Scheduled to Compete
In addition to Serena Williams, the rest of the seeded players (as of July 16th) scheduled to compete at the Acura Classic include: world #2 Kim Clijsters (BEL), world #3 Justine Henin-Hardenne (BEL), Lindsay Davenport (USA), Jennifer Capriati (USA), Chanda Rubin (USA), Daniela Hantuchova (SVK), Magdalena Maleeva (BUL), Jelena Dokic (YUG), Conchita Martinez (ESP), Ai Sugiyama (JPN), Amanda Coetzer (RSA), Elena Dementieva (RUS), Vera Zvonareva (RUS), and Meghann Shaugnessy (USA).

Also entered are former grand slam winners Mary Pierce and Iva Majoli, as well as the world’s #1 doubles team of Paula Suarez and Virginia Ruano Pascual, up-and-comer Ashley Harkleroad and San Diego’s own Alexandra Stevenson.

For more information and to purchase tickets for the Acura Classic, fans can call the Tournament Box Office at 760/ 438-5683, or visit www.acuraclassic.com.

Promotion Sports, Inc., which owns the Acura Classic and promotes a variety of professional tennis events, is a private corporation headquartered in Carlsbad, California. Founded in 1982 by Raquel Giscafré and Jane Stratton, former professional tennis players, the company is dedicated to promoting sports and women’s tennis worldwide.

The Acura Classic is sponsored by American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

The Acura Classic is presented by Tommy Bahama.

:woohoo:

· Banned
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tennisIlove09 said:
SHe's in the draw too! #4 seed, on Kim's half!
Yes, I saw the draw - it looks pretty good for Lindsay! If she can just beat kim then Lindsay should gain that little extra confidence knowing she has beat some one in the top four.

:bounce: GO LINDSAY!

-Rachel :)

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Yippee she is playing. Have not had time to study the draw yet but I agree with Rachel about Kim and Lindsay's confidence.

:worship:

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Good Luck today Lindsay against Amy
second on stadium court
:worship:

· Registered
6,952 Posts
Love that golf cart photo! :D

Wow, Lindsay smacked 11 aces today. Her serve was really cooking, which is a great sign. Some on-court pics:

Lindsay Davenport agonizes over a missed shot in her match against Amy Frazier at the Acura Classic Tuesday July 29, 2003 in Carlsbad, Calif. Davenport didn't miss many shot in her 6-3, 6-1 victory.
(AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

Lindsay Davenport slices a backhand return during the second set of her 6-3, 6-1 victory over Amy Frazier at the Acura Classic Tuesday July 29, 2003 in Carlsbad, Calif.
(AP Photo/Lenny Ignelzi)

Keep it going, Lindsay, and win the tournament!

· Registered
2,781 Posts
Wow brilliant pics and I love the golg cart one too, but they are all so great, congrats Lindsay and good luck with the doubles. :cool: :)

· Registered
2,920 Posts
Good news you GUYS!!

Davenport not bothered by neuroma in victory

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

CARLSBAD, Calif. -- Lindsay Davenport played pain free in a 6-3, 6-1 victory over Amy Frazier on Tuesday in the second round of the $1 million Acura Classic.

Fourth-seeded Davenport has been playing with neuroma, a nerve condition that has caused great pain in her left foot, since last fall. Davenport said the bothersome ailment did not flare up against Frazier.

"I was so happy with the way my foot felt,'' Davenport said. "(The pain) comes and goes. It's one of those things that you never know.''

Davenport's neuroma is located between the third and fourth toes of her left foot. The condition has limited her practice time and severely impacted her play on the court.

"It's definitely a struggle when it hurts,'' said Davenport, the former world No. 1 and three-time Grand Slam champion.

Davenport was challenged only once by Frazier -- when she held a 5-2 lead in the first set. But right after Frazier broke her serve on four straight points to make it 5-3, Davenport broke back and regained control of the match.

Davenport ran her career record to 9-0 against Frazier, having beaten her in straight sets eight times.

Hope it does not flare up during one of her matches... well done Linzi!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.