Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The point I'm trying to make by comparing these two random players: all-time doubles great is more relevant to tennis history than someone who fluked a singles Slam.

Come at me. :eek:h:

·
Registered
14,616 Posts
Nope. A Grandslam singles winner will be. better remembered than a great doubles player who was only a middling singles player. You can't really fluke a GS in Singles. Ostapenko nay be a mess now, but she played awesome to win that French Open, and beat a very respectable finalist. It's not like winning an Australian Open in the mid 80s when hardly anyone showed up. It was a very significant and legitimate Slam win by Ostapenko.

·
Banned
446 Posts
Cara Black in Slams was a pretty mediocre player, I remember her playing. I saw her playing impressively just in some International WTA tournaments. But as a doubles player, she was excellent.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,479 Posts
The point I'm trying to make by comparing these two random players: all-time doubles great is more relevant to tennis history than someone who fluked a singles Slam.

I agree. I don't think we are alone thinking this either. I think most people here would agree with with this statement, actually.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
First of all, Jelena Ostapenko is not great at all...

Second of all, if Cara Black's only claim to fame are doubles, then she's not great at all as well...

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
Cara Black was to weak to have successful career in singles. Ostapenko doesn't give a real shit about doubles like most of players who earn enough playing singles.

Ostapenko is a better player.

Reactions: Ascanius

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
34,479 Posts
First of all, Jelena Ostapenko is not great at all...

Second of all, if Cara Black's only claim to fame are doubles, then she's not great at all as well...
If you finish the year as the number one player in doubles FOUR TIMES you are a great. Cara Black is 100% guaranteed a place in the Tennis Hall of Fame. Ostapenko? Who knows? But she certainly has more to do if she wants to be in the Tennis Hall of Fame and her current results are not going to do it for her.

·
Registered
37,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
2,175 Posts

Too bad that the singles history books are looked at and studied more extensively than the doubles ones.

Reactions: Perun

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Oh well, maybe Jelena can win this mixed and make her own claim to greatness.

If she doesn't concuss her partner first.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts