Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the winner of the mens singles will recieve $130,000

the womens singles winner will recieve $27,000

not even half what the men earn. wheres the justice in this. they both play the best of 3 sets. also the doubles money for the men is a lot higher than the womens.

what are ur veiws on it?

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
I am ticked at this info. Grrr and I shop at Kroger all the time too. I may have to find another place to shop as I can't see giving my money to corporations who don't believe giving women equal amounts of money. Sexist tournaments!!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
The blame goes with the officials of the women's tour. They haven't done enough to get the prize pools increased.

Incidentally, I think the Men's event is equivalant to a Tier II. A Women's Tier II usually has an $87,000 first prize.

·
Premium Member
19,907 Posts
It's the WTA's fault. It's their job to protest this type of shit!!!!!!!
Man I wish Billie Jean was on the wta today, because she wouldn't stand for it. Today's player's don't really care, they just go and play. But if I was over the WTA I would blast Kroger ST Jude for this.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the info from the tournemant website. its all there for everyone 2 see...its disgracefull

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Where is it??

I hoope that no one of female player are going to play there because the prize money for the women is a joke.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i mean you cant even buy a porsche with that:rolleyes:

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Disposable what do they need or should do to get the monies increased?? What is the officials problem? the WTA tour is so popular right now.. surely they have money or whatever they need to get this discrimination fixed.

·
Registered
196 Posts
What's even more shocking is that the Men's doubles winner takes home more money than the Women's singles winner. I think its 57000 to 27000.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Harloo, the job of the WTA is not to "blast" Kroger.

Kroger has sponsorship of a Tier III tournament. The WTA decides what the minimum prize level of a Tier III is. Very few tournaments on either men's or women's tour give much above the minimum prize pool for their tier. If Kroger wants a Tier II, they have to pay more, and the WTA may not be willing to give it to them anyway, as they like to control the number of high tier events.

I say just increase the prize levels of tournaments significantly, and any sponsor who does not want to keep up can be downgraded. There are tournaments willing to move up, I believe the Acura in San Diego has designs on Tier I status.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think they need to have a huge meeting (all the players tour representitives etc) and talk it out!! i think bart mcguire didnt help our couse cos he was a sexist pig..at least he's gone. i thought billie jean was still involved with the wta??

kroger could easily put both final money together and split it equilly...but it aint gonna happen untill the wta puts there foot down..

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
So what is the ATP doing that the WTA is not when is comes to this tournament? The WTA just didn't want to give out as much money as the ATP tour or what?

I don't know about any of you but the more I think about this the more I am getting real ticked off. I thought that the majority of prize money was pretty much equal now.. even in the smaller Tier3's??

·
Premium Member
19,907 Posts
disposable it may not be their job to "blast them". But, hell make them pay more or exclude the tournament from their roster. It's so degrading and the WTA should really be ashamed of themselves, and I would feel better if the amounts were close if not even. The men play the best of three here also so why should they get more. Because they have the sponsership, I understand. However, the Women's situation won't get any better participating in event's like this. Kroger can pay, they are a big food chain.

·
Premium Member
19,907 Posts
kelly, this will almost never happen since alot of catfights between the player's. It's such a shame that they are are at odds with each other. What a pity!

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
The point being that Kroger simply is sponsoring different Tiers of events here. I doubt the WTA would give them a Tier II right now, as there already is a Tier II this week.

What we should really complain about is Sydney. The Men's event is equivalant to a Tier III, with the Women's a Tier II. The prize money, however, is about identical.

The Slams all have RELATIVELY equal prize money. Wimbledon still gives more to the men, but it is not as big a difference as on regular tour events. The regular events are the ones that need to be bmuped up, ESPECIALLY Tier III.

·
Premium Member
182,152 Posts
I've been saying this for some time, the prize money for Tier III is pathetic .....

It was around $150K in 1990 and still only $170K now, it did go up to $180K in one year.

Also Kroger St Jude can't just award Tier II money and call it Tier II, it has to get sanctioned by the WTA and also it will need to get a replace another Tier II event.

BTW .... the ATP are in a situation where they may have to start decreasing its levels of Prize Money.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Egg, I imagine that is particularly in "Master Series" events, which give $2,950,000 each. (9 events)

Indian Wells and Key Biscayne can handle that, I don't imagine the others can.

·
Premium Member
182,152 Posts
I'm sure all the Masters series events will be able to look after themselves. (Miami has around $3.4M) even with the collapse of the ISL Group

It was the lower level events where they are struggling to find sponsorship in future once current deals run out.

·
Registered
13,089 Posts
I think there it's normal that men have more prize money because Memphis is an Internation Series GOLD tournament. There're only a few Gold tournament perhaps ten in a year, and here the women'sone is a Tier III qo it's "normal" they haven't got money as men!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts