Tennis Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just have a bit of fun and fast forward a couple of years. What do you think will happen on the WTA tour?
Here are some of mine.

Retirements

- Serena and Venus will both be retired by 2020 (Tokyo). It's possible they stay on in their late 30s but personally I think Serena will probably wish to fulfil her role as a full time mom and Venus will follow suit.
- Other probable retirements: Sam Stosur is 33, I give her at best 2 years, no more than 3 years before she decides to hang up her racket.
- Hantuchova - has she retired yet? Lucic-Baroni, trickier to call since she decided to return. Her form hasn't been strong after early 2017 and she may be gone by 2020 as well, no longer than 2022.
- Mattek Sands - really depends on whether she can recover from her knee injury. She will give it a go but time is ticking.
- Cibulkova - motivation the major factor. She has already expressed wishes to retire. I give her no more than 3 years but could easily see her change her mind.
- Jankovic, if she cannot break back into top 100 it's sayonara probably, even if mother doesn't want to have to cook lunch for her at home.
- Wozniacki and Aga may last a bit longer as they are still younger than the former players listed, I will say they have at least 4 more years on tour.

Slams

- Halep's work will eventually pay off in the long run. How does she compare to a Safina then? I think unlike Safina providing Halep remains fit she can continue to maintain a good level and drive. There are plenty of fierce competitors still but if she is intent on improving her game and mentality, there will be chances just like Woz, especially at Roland Garros.
- Ostapenko's raw game will need time before she can nab another one. I think she may win more but I don't see it happening in 2018 without substantial help.
- Svitolina will eventually get over the QF barrier. She is a tenacious girl who needs greater experience to improve against in-the-zone opposition but I think she will have a shot at a slam final in the next 2 years.
- The AO will be Wozniacki's only slam win, but she will have a couple of deep runs here and there.
- Kerber will maintain her newfound confidence and hunger and be in contention especially at Wimbledon and USO. It may take time but I wouldn't be surprised if she does win a slam or two in the next 2 years, maybe even this season.
- Always a chance for Kvitova and Muguruza to have hot streaks as well.

'Comebacks'

- The second return of Vika took a while to come to fruition and I feel the same in this case, it will take some work for Vika to transition back on tour. She will probably not return to top 10 status until 2020.
- Maria will do very well if she manages to cracks the top 20. A decent clay swing could get her there though. I do not see her cracking the top 10 anytime soon.
- Serena. Very difficult to say. At the moment I do not really have confidence she will be able to return to her former level but am happy to be proven wrong.

Rise and falls

- Highest current stock are on Halep, Kerber and Svitolina (she still has plenty of time).
- Ka. Pliskova has possibly reached her summit. She may maintain a top 10 ranking for a year or two due to the power of her serve but slam contention is slipping by the minute.
- Mixed thoughts about Konta. I don't think she will be able to hold on but can be a strong 10-15 player. She may re-enter the top 10 some other time though.
- Early days, but Mertens could be top 10 in two years.
- Barty may reach top 10, but it will require lot of work and experience.
- Vandeweghe will have a bit of a loop (meaning she dips but has rise moments), should be a standard 10-20, at worst down to 30.
- Unfortunately I do not feel Garcia will be able to maintain her top 8 status. She will have decent runs here and there but I expect her to underperform here and there.
- Other rising radar: Vondrousova, Osaka, Kostyuk, Kontaveit

Reactions: Nicky91

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
Let's just have a bit of fun and fast forward a couple of years. What do you think will happen on the WTA tour?
Here are some of mine.

Retirements

- Hantuchova - has she retired yet?
Yes, at Wimbledon last year :secret:

Reactions: Matmagix

·
Registered
16,195 Posts
All tournaments will be played in China.

Reactions: bud887

·
Registered
114,481 Posts
I think the biggest event of the last few years was Vinci beating Serena when she was 2 match wins from the Calendar Slam
That led to a 1st time winner, Pennetta. That was 10 majors ago. In those 10 majors, 6 1st time winners:
Pennetta, Kerber(2), Muguruza(2), Ostapenko, Stephens, Wozniacki. Serena won 2.
So my prediction is that the open era continues because there is so much pressure at majors and it leads to wild results and big openings in some draws.
I agree that China expansion will continue, and if some players from China start to do well, WTA will be very involved with 12 month China tournaments to develop more players and bring in sponsors

·
Registered
8,836 Posts
Very interesting thread as WTA is overdue for a reset
I think that WS will stay much longer than everyone will expect them to.
Based on state of the tour here will be no serious challenges to SW for another 4 seasons. Year 2022 will be the end her era and in 2020 it's recommended she skips RG cause she will no longer challege for slam on clay. Venus may go on playing into her 40s even without SW.

Current generation (Wozniacki, Petra, Vika, Sharapova Kerber) will be overtaken by new generation in 2021. Each may will one slam before that.

Halep - a couple more GS finals
Sloan - may win one more slam
Keys similar to Davenport in stay healthy 3-4 slams
Bencic-Hingis like career 3-5 slams
Svitolina - 1st slam in 2018. May win 1 slam per year after that, but less than 5 total.
Garcia 1 Grand Slam Wonder

Kasatkina - will win RG and may be GS final of other slams
Ostapenko 2 more GS

This group will in top 10 by 2020 and will challenge for slams
Osaka most potential 3-7 slams
Barty 1-2
Vondroušová 0-4
Sabalenka 1-3

Zhuk- streaky and will lose several GS finals but eventually may get 1 or 2..

Post Williams Gen ( sky is the limit)
Aiava
Kostyuk
Potapova

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Julia Goerges will make her first slam QF/SF at the French Open this year, then follow it up with a SF in New York. Then in the 2019-2021 span, she wins the career slam.

:)

·
Premium Member
41,981 Posts
Who could predict Garcia and Goerges building on a consistent form from last year? Nobody.

I won't play that game. All it gives is everyone's wishes. ;)

In the end, it belongs to the players to make something of their career. It's all in their discipline and will of being the best anyday.

So I just watch and appreciate.

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some of mine.

Slams

- Halep's work will eventually pay off in the long run. How does she compare to a Safina then? I think unlike Safina providing Halep remains fit she can continue to maintain a good level and drive. There are plenty of fierce competitors still but if she is intent on improving her game and mentality, there will be chances just like Woz, especially at Roland Garros.
- Ostapenko's raw game will need time before she can nab another one. I think she may win more but I don't see it happening in 2018 without substantial help.
- Svitolina will eventually get over the QF barrier. She is a tenacious girl who needs greater experience to improve against in-the-zone opposition but I think she will have a shot at a slam final in the next 2 years. Well not yet...
- The AO will be Wozniacki's only slam win, but she will have a couple of deep runs here and there.
- Kerber will maintain her newfound confidence and hunger and be in contention especially at Wimbledon and USO. It may take time but I wouldn't be surprised if she does win a slam or two in the next 2 years, maybe even this season. Yes, at Wimbledon!
- Always a chance for Kvitova and Muguruza to have hot streaks as well. Kvitova's hot streaks resulted in 5 titles, Muguruza made SF at RG and F at Doha but that's about it.

'Comebacks'

- The second return of Vika took a while to come to fruition and I feel the same in this case, it will take some work for Vika to transition back on tour. She will probably not return to top 10 status until 2020.
- Maria will do very well if she manages to cracks the top 20. A decent clay swing could get her there though. I do not see her cracking the top 10 anytime soon.
As I suspected...
- Serena. Very difficult to say. At the moment I do not really have confidence she will be able to return to her former level but am happy to be proven wrong.

Rise and falls

- Highest current stock are on Halep, Kerber and Svitolina (she still has plenty of time).
- Ka. Pliskova has possibly reached her summit. She may maintain a top 10 ranking for a year or two due to the power of her serve but slam contention is slipping by the minute.
- Mixed thoughts about Konta. I don't think she will be able to hold on but can be a strong 10-15 player. She may re-enter the top 10 some other time though.
- Early days, but Mertens could be top 10 in two years.
- Barty may reach top 10, but it will require lot of work and experience.
- Vandeweghe will have a bit of a loop (meaning she dips but has rise moments), should be a standard 10-20, at worst down to 30.huh, ok, I made a mistake on this one, didn't think she'd have such a dud season.
- Unfortunately I do not feel Garcia will be able to maintain her top 8 status. She will have decent runs here and there but I expect her to underperform here and there. pretty much
- Other rising radar: Vondrousova, Osaka, Kostyuk, Kontaveit
not bad for a season nearly finished.

Julia Goerges will make her first slam QF/SF at the French Open this year, then follow it up with a SF in New York. Then in the 2019-2021 span, she wins the career slam.

:)
wrong slam, Wimbledon of all places :lol:

Reactions: jimbo mack

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I started this one in February 2018. BUMP in late Dec 2020. Let's see how I went.

Here are some of mine.

Retirements

• Serena and Venus will both be retired by 2020 (Tokyo). It's possible they stay on in their late 30s but personally I think Serena will probably wish to fulfil her role as a full time mom and Venus will follow suit. [Both still playing. Serena made a couple of slam finals W/USO 18, 19 but not over the line. Venus's results have since plummetted. Tokyo Olympics cancelled.]
  • Other probable retirements: Sam Stosur is 33, I give her at best 2 years, no more than 3 years before she decides to hang up her racket. [Not yet retired. But should be coming soon?]
  • Hantuchova - has she retired yet? Lucic-Baroni, trickier to call since she decided to return. Her form hasn't been strong after early 2017 and she may be gone by 2020 as well, no longer than 2022. [Lucic-baroni has not played since 2018]
  • Mattek Sands - really depends on whether she can recover from her knee injury. She will give it a go but time is ticking. [Came back to tour, winning 2 mixed doubles slam title with J. Murray. Still playing.]
  • Cibulkova - motivation the major factor. She has already expressed wishes to retire. I give her no more than 3 years but could easily see her change her mind. [retired in late 2019, has a baby boy!]
  • Jankovic, if she cannot break back into top 100 it's sayonara probably, even if mother doesn't want to have to cook lunch for her at home. [barely a peep, and now she's pregnant]
  • Wozniacki and Aga may last a bit longer as they are still younger than the former players listed, I will say they have at least 4 more years on tour. [Ouch! Both retired by 2020, but happily married]

some misses: Didn't mention Sharapova

Slams

• Halep's work will eventually pay off in the long run. How does she compare to a Safina then? I think unlike Safina providing Halep remains fit she can continue to maintain a good level and drive. There are plenty of fierce competitors still but if she is intent on improving her game and mentality, there will be chances just like Woz, especially at Roland Garros. [Yes, Halep achieved her GS goal at RG 2018 and backed it up with a surprise Wimbledon win in 2019]
  • Ostapenko's raw game will need time before she can nab another one. I think she may win more but I don't see it happening in 2018 without substantial help. [Yes. In fact, she has gone backwards.]
  • Svitolina will eventually get over the QF barrier. She is a tenacious girl who needs greater experience to improve against in-the-zone opposition but I think she will have a shot at a slam final in the next 2 years. [2 SFs since, but no slam final in sight]
  • The AO will be Wozniacki's only slam win, but she will have a couple of deep runs here and there. [She won Beijing slam]
  • Kerber will maintain her newfound confidence and hunger and be in contention especially at Wimbledon and USO. It may take time but I wouldn't be surprised if she does win a slam or two in the next 2 years, maybe even this season.[Yes, at 2018 Wimbledon, but rather shortlived]
  • Always a chance for Kvitova and Muguruza to have hot streaks as well. [Both made AO F]

'Comebacks'

• The second return of Vika took a while to come to fruition and I feel the same in this case, it will take some work for Vika to transition back on tour. She will probably not return to top 10 status until 2020. [close. No. 13 on live WTA rankings, good comeback in Cincy/USO]
  • Maria will do very well if she manages to cracks the top 20. A decent clay swing could get her there though. I do not see her cracking the top 10 anytime soon. [Maria did have a decent clay swing in 2018, all considered and was no.21 best ranking in 2018. True to form though she never did any better and has since retired]
  • Serena. Very difficult to say. At the moment I do not really have confidence she will be able to return to her former level but am happy to be proven wrong. [Reaching 4 slam finals and 2 other SFs. Extra slam elusive, but can never truly count her out]

Rise and falls

• Highest current stock are on Halep, Kerber and Svitolina (she still has plenty of time). [Halep and Svitolina still top 8 comfortably. Kerber on decline. Whether Svitolina can take chances to win a slam remains to be seen]
  • Ka. Pliskova has possibly reached her summit. She may maintain a top 10 ranking for a year or two due to the power of her serve but slam contention is slipping by the minute. [Pliskova's performance at slams disappointing, apart from a SF AO run, blocked by Osaka. She should still stay in top 10 though]
  • Mixed thoughts about Konta. I don't think she will be able to hold on but can be a strong 10-15 player. She may re-enter the top 10 some other time though. [true, Konta has gone up and down. Currently Konta is on the rise with no. 13 on current ranking]
  • Early days, but Mertens could be top 10 in two years. [Has gotten very close. Top rank of 12]
  • Barty may reach top 10, but it will require lot of work and experience. [Yes, though maybe not that much work and experience ;)]
  • Vandeweghe will have a bit of a loop (meaning she dips but has rise moments), should be a standard 10-20, at worst down to 30. [Didn't foresee injury]
  • Unfortunately I do not feel Garcia will be able to maintain her top 8 status. She will have decent runs here and there but I expect her to underperform here and there. [Bit of an understatement, a few QFs in 2018 aside, her best achievement since was winning Fed Cup]
  • Other rising radar: Vondrousova, Osaka, Kostyuk, Kontaveit [Vondrousova - made RG F in 2019. Osaka, this is my biggest one, won two PMs and three slams since. Kostyuk probably needs more time. Kontaveit doing ok if not spectacularly, a few good runs here and there.]

So overall, I did ok :love:

Reactions: ishgever

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Well done! Not bad :-D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I started this one in February 2018. BUMP in late Dec 2020. Let's see how I went.

Here are some of mine.

Retirements

• Serena and Venus will both be retired by 2020 (Tokyo). It's possible they stay on in their late 30s but personally I think Serena will probably wish to fulfil her role as a full time mom and Venus will follow suit. [Both still playing. Serena made a couple of slam finals W/USO 18, 19 but not over the line. Venus's results have since plummetted. Tokyo Olympics cancelled.]
  • Other probable retirements: Sam Stosur is 33, I give her at best 2 years, no more than 3 years before she decides to hang up her racket. [Not yet retired. But should be coming soon?]
  • Hantuchova - has she retired yet? Lucic-Baroni, trickier to call since she decided to return. Her form hasn't been strong after early 2017 and she may be gone by 2020 as well, no longer than 2022. [Lucic-baroni has not played since 2018]
  • Mattek Sands - really depends on whether she can recover from her knee injury. She will give it a go but time is ticking. [Came back to tour, winning 2 mixed doubles slam title with J. Murray. Still playing.]
  • Cibulkova - motivation the major factor. She has already expressed wishes to retire. I give her no more than 3 years but could easily see her change her mind. [retired in late 2019, has a baby boy!]
  • Jankovic, if she cannot break back into top 100 it's sayonara probably, even if mother doesn't want to have to cook lunch for her at home. [barely a peep, and now she's pregnant]
  • Wozniacki and Aga may last a bit longer as they are still younger than the former players listed, I will say they have at least 4 more years on tour. [Ouch! Both retired by 2020, but happily married]

some misses: Didn't mention Sharapova

Slams

• Halep's work will eventually pay off in the long run. How does she compare to a Safina then? I think unlike Safina providing Halep remains fit she can continue to maintain a good level and drive. There are plenty of fierce competitors still but if she is intent on improving her game and mentality, there will be chances just like Woz, especially at Roland Garros. [Yes, Halep achieved her GS goal at RG 2018 and backed it up with a surprise Wimbledon win in 2019]
  • Ostapenko's raw game will need time before she can nab another one. I think she may win more but I don't see it happening in 2018 without substantial help. [Yes. In fact, she has gone backwards.]
  • Svitolina will eventually get over the QF barrier. She is a tenacious girl who needs greater experience to improve against in-the-zone opposition but I think she will have a shot at a slam final in the next 2 years. [2 SFs since, but no slam final in sight]
  • The AO will be Wozniacki's only slam win, but she will have a couple of deep runs here and there. [She won Beijing slam]
  • Kerber will maintain her newfound confidence and hunger and be in contention especially at Wimbledon and USO. It may take time but I wouldn't be surprised if she does win a slam or two in the next 2 years, maybe even this season.[Yes, at 2018 Wimbledon, but rather shortlived]
  • Always a chance for Kvitova and Muguruza to have hot streaks as well. [Both made AO F]

'Comebacks'

• The second return of Vika took a while to come to fruition and I feel the same in this case, it will take some work for Vika to transition back on tour. She will probably not return to top 10 status until 2020. [close. No. 13 on live WTA rankings, good comeback in Cincy/USO]
  • Maria will do very well if she manages to cracks the top 20. A decent clay swing could get her there though. I do not see her cracking the top 10 anytime soon. [Maria did have a decent clay swing in 2018, all considered and was no.21 best ranking in 2018. True to form though she never did any better and has since retired]
  • Serena. Very difficult to say. At the moment I do not really have confidence she will be able to return to her former level but am happy to be proven wrong. [Reaching 4 slam finals and 2 other SFs. Extra slam elusive, but can never truly count her out]

Rise and falls

• Highest current stock are on Halep, Kerber and Svitolina (she still has plenty of time). [Halep and Svitolina still top 8 comfortably. Kerber on decline. Whether Svitolina can take chances to win a slam remains to be seen]
  • Ka. Pliskova has possibly reached her summit. She may maintain a top 10 ranking for a year or two due to the power of her serve but slam contention is slipping by the minute. [Pliskova's performance at slams disappointing, apart from a SF AO run, blocked by Osaka. She should still stay in top 10 though]
  • Mixed thoughts about Konta. I don't think she will be able to hold on but can be a strong 10-15 player. She may re-enter the top 10 some other time though. [true, Konta has gone up and down. Currently Konta is on the rise with no. 13 on current ranking]
  • Early days, but Mertens could be top 10 in two years. [Has gotten very close. Top rank of 12]
  • Barty may reach top 10, but it will require lot of work and experience. [Yes, though maybe not that much work and experience ;)]
  • Vandeweghe will have a bit of a loop (meaning she dips but has rise moments), should be a standard 10-20, at worst down to 30. [Didn't foresee injury]
  • Unfortunately I do not feel Garcia will be able to maintain her top 8 status. She will have decent runs here and there but I expect her to underperform here and there. [Bit of an understatement, a few QFs in 2018 aside, her best achievement since was winning Fed Cup]
  • Other rising radar: Vondrousova, Osaka, Kostyuk, Kontaveit [Vondrousova - made RG F in 2019. Osaka, this is my biggest one, won two PMs and three slams since. Kostyuk probably needs more time. Kontaveit doing ok if not spectacularly, a few good runs here and there.]

So overall, I did ok :love:
My compliments MatMagix. Could you also comment my "crazy" 2021 prediction (see other thread), predictions are bit more fun and less long term - I am curios to see your point of view :) :) :) . We can make comments next year

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Who could predict Garcia and Goerges building on a consistent form from last year? Nobody.

I won't play that game. All it gives is everyone's wishes. ;)

In the end, it belongs to the players to make something of their career. It's all in their discipline and will of being the best anyday.

So I just watch and appreciate.
WTA sees lots of changes!! See Garcia and ostapenko.
My compliments MatMagix. Could you also comment my "crazy" 2021 prediction (see other thread), predictions are bit more fun and less long term - I am curios to see your point of view :) :) :) . We can make comments next year
I'll have a look when I have time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts