Tennis Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say this because she has alreacdy qualified for the Y/E Championships and may take the extra time to rehab her knee so it will be 100% for the championships. But she can also skip the championships so that she can get an injury protected ranking since by the time the 2004 AO starts (1/19/2004), she would have been off the tour more than six months (I am assuming she will not play Hopman Cup next year).

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
lizchris said:
I say this because she has alreacdy qualified for the Y/E Championships and may take the extra time to rehab her knee so it will be 100% for the championships. But she can also skip the championships so that she can get an injury protected ranking since by the time the 2004 AO starts (1/19/2004), she would have been off the tour more than six months (I am assuming she will not play Hopman Cup next year).
A protected ranking won't help her at the AO so she might as well come back. I think she will play Philadelphia and then the Championships if she waits until later to come back, but Linz is still a possibility. Serena's predicted period of being out is 6-8 weeks and in the first week of october that period is up so she could be back on the court in October though I don't think it's likely.

·
Registered
20,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Knizzle said:
A protected ranking won't help her at the AO so she might as well come back. I think she will play Philadelphia and then the Championships if she waits until later to come back, but Linz is still a possibility. Serena's predicted period of being out is 6-8 weeks and in the first week of october that period is up so she could be back on the court in October though I don't think it's likely.
I'm not sure about that. Lindsay was seeded 3 or 4 at last year's USO and her ranking was lower than that at the time. The AO could do the same thing.

·
Banned
596 Posts
1st of all, protective ranking is meaningless if
it's not followed by special seeding,
#3 ranking should pretty much get her into
probably most of the tournaments if i'm not mistaken:)
but how will WTA seed her, that'll be fun to see:D

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
lizchris said:
I'm not sure about that. Lindsay was seeded 3 or 4 at last year's USO and her ranking was lower than that at the time. The AO could do the same thing.
Her protected seeding would be #3 anyway which is where she will be ranked so nothing will change concerning the AO.

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
Monsters said:
actually it's #1 as she was ranked #1 following Wimbledon
That would be her protected ranking. Her protected seeding would be an average of where she was ranked during 2003, which would be around #2, but she can't displace the current #2(which will be Henin) so she would be seeded #3 at the AO, and probably hold a true ranking of #3 also.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Knizzle said:
That would be her protected ranking. Her protected seeding would be an average of where she was ranked during 2003, which would be around #2, but she can't displace the current #2(which will be Henin) so she would be seeded #3 at the AO, and probably hold a true ranking of #3 also.
yeah, i was talking about the protective ranking,
but i dont see WTA saying anything about special seeding,
Serena will be #3 anyways, good enough:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.