Tennis Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stevenson's results during all of 2003 have been horrible. She's in danger of falling to a ranking of 90 or lower after Linz. I say there's no amount of lobbying from her mother that can get her back on the list.

IMO the six strongest candidates for Gold Exempt (if the WTA follows its rule book and doesn't nominate Kournikova or Sharapova) in 2004 are, in order of ranking:

Shaughnessy (17)
Coetzer (18)
Dokic (21)
Kuznetsova (30)
Seles (37)
Harkleroad (50)

I think Meghann will get the US tournament directors' lobby over Stevenson - Meghann has clearly earned it. Seles is the obvious shoo-in, if she doesn't retire. Dokic with her name recognition is also a very good bet. So that leaves one spot that is really questionable. My prediction is that Kuznetsova will be the surprise pick over still-unproven Harkleroad and over-the-hill Coetzer.

Suarez (19) and Schnyder (23) are long shots who probably need Seles and/or Davenport to retire to have a chance.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.