1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know have our:

Australian Open Champion: Serena Williams

French Open Champion: Justine Henin

Make your prediction for the next two. You can have a primary and an alternate.

My prediction:

Wimbledon: Venus Williams (Her game is great on grass. She is hungry).
Alternate: Jennifer Capriati (Also hungry. Think she will find another slam, and this one would be sweet!).

U.S. Open: Serena Williams (on Hard courts, not many can hang shot for shot w/ Serena).
Alternate: Lindsay Davenport: (She has some of the best strokes in the game.
She will get fit for the hardcourt season, and is a serious challenger to the top 4).

Are we going to have some interesting surprises for the rest of the year?

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Wimbledon Winner-Justin Henin
Alternate-Serena Williams

USOpen Winner- Serena Williams
Alternate-Venus Williams

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do think Justine has a legitimate shot at Wimbeldon. She is on a high from her first GS title, and her confidence will be up there. With 15 more lbs of muscle on her frame, and more pop in her shots, (and that wicked back hand) - she will be a threat!

Will be very curious to see how Wimby does the seedings - by current rankings, or their own way......

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Realistically:

Wimbledon: Serena/Venus/Justine
USopen: "------------"--------"

Who'd i'd like to see win:

Wimbledon: MonicaMONICAMONICA
USOPEN: Monica/ Ai sugiyama!!!!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Wimbledon: Els Callens. This woman is a grass-court veteran who gave Serena her toughest match at Wimbledon last year, pushing her to two tiebreaks.

US Open: Barbara Schett. Looks to be getting back into form, a strong groundstroker and she did of course give Serena a tough match at the French Open this year (tough for Serena in terms of trying to stay awake, but she did have a bash at it).

·
Registered
21,059 Posts
Wimbledon:
Justine Henin-Hardenne

US Open:
Serena Williams

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
wimbledon- either H-H or Mauresmo
US open- either Clijsters, Mauresmo or a Russian

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Wimby- Serena/Venus or JuJu. If either of those three win, I will not be surprised.

USO - Serena. She dominates the hardcourt

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
Wimbledon: Venus, Serena, Justine--in that order

US Open: Venus, Serena, Capriati, Clijsters--in that order

Why do I have Venus over Serena...she's been the more CONSISTENT player on the hardcourts the last few years, especially in the summer. I think the last 3 years she's won every title but 3 (01 BOW, 02 WB, 02 US). That's 12 of 15 Vee's won. No one...not even Serena, is that consistent.

Wimbledon? No one can compete with Venus' 120 plus serves consistently. If Venus is injured, Serena will rack up #6.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
So no-one agrees with my watertight predictions on Callens and Schett, then? Oh... well how about Stevenson and Fernandez for Wimbledon and the US Open respectively?

Venus isn't going to beat Serena anywhere, and certainly not in a Grand Slam.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
Wimby- Serena
US Open- Venus

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hendouble - Stevenson! When is the last time she has won two matches in a row?
She has not lived up to her potential - and it is acutally sad. Her serve is great.
I think it is mostly mental...

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
Wimbledon: SERENA

US Open: SERENA

Not just saying that because she's my fave. But realistically, how can you bet against the best in the world on her best surfaces?! :rolleyes:

COME ON BABYGIRL! :kiss:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ah DannerCal, you aren't getting into the satirical spirit of things. Mind you, I did at least pick her for Wimbledon, which is a slightly better bet than the other Slams (although since the third round of any Slam has been foreign territory for her since that Wimbledon 99 semi, I wouldn't start hedging my bets). I'm not sure it's mental as much as she can't string together more than half a dozen shots in a row when she gets into a rally. Honestly, she'll just dump one in the net because she wants to end the point.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Wimbledon:

1. Venus
2. Serena
3. Justine

US Open:

1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Lindsay

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wimbledon: Venus or Serena

US Open : Venus or Serena

Justine and Kim might make the semis, but they will lose to the Williamses.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Interesting, if this question had been posed before the French Open finals, most would've chosen Kim to win atleast one of these slams.

Anyway, my pick is Venus Williams, Venus Williams.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts