Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The draw has been released for the pre-qualifying tournament.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnp-paribas-challenge--womens-singles-final.ashx?la=en

It's a 128 player pay-and-play draw. Winner gets a wildcard into qualies.

Notable entrants include Lucie Hradecka, Sesil Karatantcheva, Michelle Larcher de Brito, Jovana Jaksic, Maria Sanchez (former NCAA #1 at USC) and 13-year-old Emma Gretzky, daughter of Wayne Gretzky. You have to be at least 14 to play pros so she'll have trouble in the unlikely event she wins.

EDIT:
Final results: http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnppcfinalwomens.ashx?la=en

F: [7] Maria Sanchez def. [13] Claire Liu 6-1 6-4

·
Registered
181 Posts
Re: Pre-qualifying: BNP Paribas Challenge 2/28-3/04

That a lot of matches to play for one QWC. Are there any benefits to playing this for those that don't win?

·
Registered
27,404 Posts

7 matches to win a place in Qualifying is ridiculous. They really have to make a shorter draw

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

That a lot of matches to play for one QWC. Are there any benefits to playing this for those that don't win?
No! They are paying to play. They get a discount at the local hotel, that's it.

7 matches to win a place in Qualifying is ridiculous. They really have to make a shorter draw
I guess they are matching demand. There's actually 30 byes in the draw so it's really 98 players. The ones who are likely to win this will only play six.

But notice the timings on there. After the first round they play two rounds a day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Up to the QFs they play a match tiebreak instead of a third set. Then it's a full three set match.

Shoutouts to the players with the best names in the draw: Nicole Knickerbocker and Isabella Brilliant. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts

Kendall Bolock should probably avoid playing any tournaments in Britain. Or Australia. The crowd would never stop laughing at her name.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The first round of pre-qualifying was completed yesterday and the drawsheet has now been updated:
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnppcwomens31.ashx?la=en

Quite a few very one-sided scores as you might imagine.

Wayne Gretzky's daughter Emma lost 0 & 2 to Katherine Nguyen.

Today they play R2 in the morning and R3 in the afternoon. The seeded players (i.e. people we've heard of) who had byes in R1 start today.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The first round of pre-qualifying was completed yesterday and the drawsheet has now been updated:
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnppcwomens31.ashx?la=en

Quite a few very one-sided scores as you might imagine.

Wayne Gretzky's daughter Emma lost 0 & 2 to Katherine Nguyen.

Today they play R2 in the morning and R3 in the afternoon. The seeded players (i.e. people we've heard of) who had byes in R1 start today.
Yes, I do know that link...They are playing two matches per day and the results are update at the end of day....I would like to know the result just after the end of each game...that's why I asked but I think it's an impossible task!
Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Yes, I do know that link...They are playing two matches per day and the results are update at the end of day....I would like to know the result just after the end of each game...that's why I asked but I think it's an impossible task!
Thanks anyway!
This is not an ITF sanctioned event so unless the tournament provides its own livescores or timely updates you just have to wait I'm afraid.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts

The draw has been released for the pre-qualifying tournament.
http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnp-paribas-challenge--womens-singles-final.ashx?la=en

It's a 128 player pay-and-play draw. Winner gets a wildcard into qualies.

Notable entrants include Lucie Hradecka, Sesil Karatantcheva, Michelle Larcher de Brito, Jovana Jaksic, Maria Sanchez (former NCAA #1 at USC) and 13-year-old Emma Gretzky, daughter of Wayne Gretzky. You have to be at least 14 to play pros so she'll have trouble in the unlikely event she wins.
And Tetiana Luzhanska gets no mentions?

·
Registered
16,449 Posts

Taylor Townsend won those 7 matches last year.
Then won her Qualifiers.. Lost in her first match in Main Draw. I think she was dead tired. lol

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Round of 16 is now set: http://www.bnpparibasopen.com/~/media/indian-wells/files/2017-bnpp-challenge-draws/bnppcwomens32.ashx?la=en

[1] Lucie Hradecka v Alexa Ryngler
[8] Hanna Chang v [13] Claire Liu
[3] Sesil Karatantcheva v [11] Ashley Kratzer
[5] Michelle Larcher de Brito v [15] Kaitlyn Christian
[16] Anhzelika Isaeva v [7] Maria Sanchez
Tetiana Luzhanska v [20] Megan McCray
[22] Salma Ewing v Katherine Nguyen
[14] Alexandra Sanford v [2] Sofia Kenin

Jovana Jaksic and top 25 junior Caty McNally both gave walkovers in R64.

R16 and QFs are both played today.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

And Tetiana Luzhanska gets no mentions?
I didn't recognise the name. :shrug: I guess she came out of retirement to play this and has done very well.

·
Registered
3,717 Posts

Hope Claire Liu can take this. I forget she's just 16 going on 17, after making the FQR at the US Open in 2015 beating Cepelova along the way.

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Round of 16
Alexa Ryngler def. [1] Lucie Hradecka w/o (pc)
[13] Claire Liu def. [8] Hanna Chang 6-2 6-2
[11] Ashley Kratzer def. [3] Sesil Karatantcheva 6-4 1-6 1-0
[5] Michelle Larcher de Brito def. [15] Kaitlyn Christian 6-3 6-4
[7] Maria Sanchez def. [16] Anhzelika Isaeva 6-3 6-1
[20] Megan McCray def. Tetiana Luzhanska 6-4 6-1
[22] Salma Ewing def. Katherine Nguyen 6-2 6-2
[14] Alexandra Sanford def. [2] Sofia Kenin 6-3 6-2

Quarter Final
[13] Claire Liu def. Alexa Ryngler 6-0 6-0
[11] Ashley Kratzer def. [5] Michelle Larcher de Brito 6-4 6-4
[7] Maria Sanchez def. [20] Megan McCray 7-5 6-1
[14] Alexandra Sanford def. [22] Salma Ewing 6-1 6-1

Semi Final
[13] Claire Liu v [11] Ashley Kratzer
[7] Maria Sanchez v [14] Alexandra Sanford

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Some very surprising losses in there. Didn't think Kenin would lose to Sanford.

I don't know what "pc" means in brackets after Hradecka's walkover. Anyone?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts