Tennis Forum banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,238 Posts
You do understand that she was at 50% physically vs Barty? Looked totally spent and still managed to look like the better player in the first 9 games or so and then ran out of gas.

Barty’s reaction at the end of the match said it all, it was her toughest match at the championships IMO. Ignore the set Pliskova won.

Krejcikova could barely string two words together in the press conference after the Sevastova match, never seen a player look so tired. Which was understandable as she had issues going on at the time.
Agree. Once Ash got past Barbora it was clear she was the strong front runner to win the tournament, and so it turned out.

The first set of Krejcikova v Barty was absolutely the highest quality set Barty faced from an opponent the entire Championships.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
You do understand that she was at 50% physically vs Barty? Looked totally spent and still managed to look like the better player in the first 9 games or so and then ran out of gas.

Barty’s reaction at the end of the match said it all, it was her toughest match at the championships IMO. Ignore the set Pliskova won.

She could barely string two words together in the press conference after the Sevastova match, never seen a player look so tired. Which was understandable as she had issues going on at the time.
I always have troubles finding the right words during those days of month too.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Agree. Once Ash got past Barbora it was clear she was the strong front runner to win the tournament, and so it turned out.

The first set of Krejcikova v Barty was absolutely the highest quality set Barty faced from an opponent the entire Championships.
That’s crazy delusional considering she literally played one of her worst sets of tennis and still won it ...
she knows Kerber was her first actual threat to take her out

·
38,238 Posts
That’s crazy delusional considering she literally played one of her worst sets of tennis and still won it ...
she knows Kerber was her first actual threat to take her out
I'm afraid your aversion to the use of the slice as a groundstroke sometimes leaves your judgement of the quality of matches a shade distorted.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'm afraid your aversion to the use of the slice as a groundstroke sometimes leaves your judgement of the quality of matches a shade distorted.
I mean , I m taking out the fact that it was an ugly match ( apparently almost everyone agreed with me here ( surprisingly) ), it was still bad quality .. like my dislike of someone doesn’t cloud my judgement when they played well ( like how Barty did in her qf semi and even final )

·
38,238 Posts
I mean , I m taking out the fact that it was an ugly match ( apparently almost everyone agreed with me here ( surprisingly) ), it was still bad quality .. like my dislike of someone doesn’t cloud my judgement when they played well ( like how Barty did in her qf semi and even final )
Didn't look that way to me. I could certainly tell Barty was in Slam winning form after than match...and it turns out I was right.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Didn't look that way to me. I could certainly tell Barty was in Slam winning form after than match...and it turns out I was right.
I mean playing Ajla in a slam qf , followed by a way past her prime ( and best tennis ) Kerber only to get a slumping for a year Karolina Pliskova who never plays ( still hasn’t ) her best at Wimbledon is not necessarily what I call a hard guess ... I thought the only one taking her out the entire tournament could be Sabalenka ( but her return of serve in the Pliskova match showed me that was never gonna happen even if she reached the final ) and a miracle peaking Kerber ( which was not gonna happen .. )

·
38,238 Posts
I mean playing Ajla in a slam qf , followed by a way past her prime ( and best tennis ) Kerber only to get a slumping for a year Karolina Pliskova who never plays ( still hasn’t ) her best at Wimbledon is not necessarily what I call a hard guess ... I thought the only one taking her out the entire tournament could be Sabalenka ( but her return of serve in the Pliskova match showed me that was never gonna happen even if she reached the final ) and a miracle peaking Kerber ( which was not gonna happen .. )
Yeah....problem for you is that Barty was just better than everyone else. Therefore no one was going to take her out. That's life I guess.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Gyogynb cx
Yeah....problem for you is that Barty was just better than everyone else. Therefore no one was going to take her out. That's life I guess.
i mean true ... ( but I gotta state she was better than everyone qf+ cus she wasn’t very good in the first 4 rounds )

·
38,238 Posts
Gyogynb cx

i mean true ... ( but I gotta state she was better than everyone qf+ cus she wasn’t very good in the first 4 rounds )
Barty wasn't that convincing in the 1st three rounds. She was convincing in her 4th round. I speak from a personal vantage point as I saw that match and after it I was convinced Barty was playing well enough to win Wimbledon. I hate to repeat myself but it does bear mentioning again, I was not mistaken.

·
Registered
10,995 Posts
And guess what? Most of this comes from mixed doubles, where she is indisputably the world's best female player. As much as the knockers on TF (and there are many) decry doubles, and mixed in particular, there is absolutely no doubt that regularly facing men serving at 220+ km/h is going to make reacting to women's serves at 160-180 km/h a piece of cake.
Excellent point!

·
Registered
57,325 Posts
Barbora is impressive, especially with her strong forehand. Also mentally (y)
Katerina at 5:22 :love: Very good volley. I love her strong backhand too.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts