Tennis Forum banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,237 Posts
Yes she does, it showed in Wimbledon. It would be very suspicious if she ran like a rabbit 24/7.
Against Sevastova she struggled physically as she was having her period which she acknowledged in the interview afterwards. One of the things though that has been most striking about Barbora this year is that she is able to win even when she isn't playing or feeling her best.

They've been several matches I've seen of her this year where she is playing at around 70% but then when she realises she needs to raise her level for a few minutes she is able to do so. Players who can win while they are playing in second gear are generally the most consistent on the tour and they are also particularly dangerous because there is always the sense in a close match they will be able to raise their level much more effectively than their opponent. This is probably one reason she is 11-1 in final sets this year. Barbara is a fighter but addiionally she is able to raise her game when she has to, even when she isn't feeling her best.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Powerful forehand which she can hit great angles with and change direction with very effectively. Backhand that she can hit flat, with topspin or with slice. She hits all with purpose and selects her shots well. She is very good at changing the pace of her ground strokes and not giving her opponent rhythm. She can take the pace off her opponents' shot to neutralise a rally or she can use her opponents pace, change direction of the ball and produce a winner. Basically she has an a game and b game and c game. She has lots of options. She is smart and her shot selection is very good. Good touch, can hit drop shots and lobs well and her slice is one of the best in the game, not quite Barty level but certainly one of the best on the circuit. She has an above average serve and an outstanding return of serve which again has to rate as one of the best in the game. I think that is enough weapons to make her a formidable foe on any surface.
Nice summary and I would only add that after the loss to Ash at Wimbledon Barbora said herself it was her 'above-average' serve that she wanted to work on and improve. I guess she wants to make it excellent, as Barty showed her how big a weapon it could be and what a difference it could make between two otherwise basically equal players.

·
38,237 Posts
Nice summary and I would only add that after the loss to Ash at Wimbledon Barbora said herself it was her 'above-average' serve that she wanted to work on and improve. I guess she wants to make it excellent, as Barty showed her how big a weapon it could be and what a difference it could make between two otherwise basically equal players.
It is actually striking how many similarities the two have in their games. I think it was Ash's greater experience, more than her serve, that was probably the decisive difference in their match at Wimbledon but their strengths and overall game style have a lot in common.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
It is actually striking how many similarities the two have in their games. I think it was Ash's greater experience, more than her serve, that was probably the decisive difference in their match at Wimbledon but their strengths and overall game style have a lot in common.
During the RG breaks, Czech TV showed a few interviews with the country's past legends and Navratilova expressly said that "Barty and Krejcikova" play an 'old-school type of tennis'. Funnily enough, she actually used a Czech word best translated as 'ancient'.

So if Ash and Bara continue to play their ancient type of game, I'm not the one who'll be complaining. Very refreshing contrast to the plentiful Sharapova/Seles 'hit-the-ball-hard-while-screaming' style of play. (Apologies to Maria's and Monica's fans, to each their own.) :p

·
38,237 Posts
During the RG breaks, Czech TV showed a few interviews with the country's past legends and Navratilova expressly said that "Barty and Krejcikova" play an 'old-school type of tennis'. Funnily enough, she actually used a Czech word best translated as 'ancient'.

So if Ash and Bara continue to play their ancient type of game, I'm not the one who'll be complaining. Very refreshing contrast to the plentiful Sharapova/Seles 'hit-the-ball-hard-while-screaming' style of play. (Apologies to Maria's and Monica's fans, to each their own.) :p
Might be my wishful thinking, but I would be delighted to see these two as the world top 2 battling it out in the finals of slams for the next 5 years. I know there are a lot of other very good players out there capable of winning very big titles as well so this very well might not come to pass, but I'd be all for it.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
Might be my wishful thinking, but I would be delighted to see these two as the world top 2 battling it out in the finals of slams for the next 5 years. I know there are a lot of other very good players out there capable of winning very big titles as well so this very well might not come to pass, but I'd be all for it.
Well, the Olympics, the US Open and the YEC are the BIG 3 events remaining to be played this year and it woud be nice to see these two players in at least one of these finals. But as you say, there are many girls who'd love to spoil the party and I don't blame them!

Oh, and I'm actually curious what has happened to the Fed Cup/BJK Cup, which might be theoretically held in Prague if they reach an agreement. That would be a fourth big event remaining.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Barbora is an excellent player. I see her as consistent top5-8 player if she doesnt drop her level.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think the appropriate thing to do while destroying a friend of yours in a tennis match is kind of tough to decide, honestly. Yes, it might have been nice for Barbs to give Katka a game to spare her dignity, but at the same time, I think it shows more respect to the opponent to not let up the gas? If Katka thought she had been given a game for free it would have made her think that Barbs didn't respect her enough to worry about giving away a game, and that would have felt really patronising.

Overall I think Krejcikova did the most respectful thing by treating Siniakova as a competitor that she couldn't afford to give a chance in this match. As Katka I think I'd have preferred that to being given a pity game.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well, people were looking for emphatic.

This was emphatic huh.

I'm really looking forward to Osaka Vs Krejcikova on a hard court.

Naomi has had it too easy vs past their primes Serena and Vika.
ROFL. She hits nicely spun balls with just the right amount of pace for a big hitter like Osaka to get some practice.

She's also the one who usually struggles with no pace balls and variety as she can't generate her own pace.

·
Registered
9,268 Posts
...She has an above average serve and an outstanding return of serve which again has to rate as one of the best in the game. I think that is enough weapons to make her a formidable foe on any surface.
And guess what? Most of this comes from mixed doubles, where she is indisputably the world's best female player. As much as the knockers on TF (and there are many) decry doubles, and mixed in particular, there is absolutely no doubt that regularly facing men serving at 220+ km/h is going to make reacting to women's serves at 160-180 km/h a piece of cake.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
None of this is true. But you can believe it if you want to.
Totally agree with you. With her smooth effortless stroke, she has easy power and generates easily her own pace. My only issues with her is that her serve could be much better and she can improve her movement; she's quite slow.

·
38,237 Posts
Totally agree with you. With her smooth effortless stroke, she has easy power and generates easily her own pace. My only issues with her is that her serve could be much better and she can improve her movement; she's quite slow.
I don't think she is that slow actually. She isn't as fast as some like Gauff or Kerber or Halep but she still gets to a lot of balls and the fact that she has excellent anticipation and hits well on the run means she is not easy to outmanoeuvre.

·
Registered
61 Posts
None of this is true. But you can believe it if you want to.
Yeah, you can also believe the hilarities if you want to, that unlike Serena or Vika, she's going to expose Osaka on HC!!1

It was quite obvious in her match against Barty (who actually does generate pace with ease) that she has trouble generating her own pace on slow and low bouncing balls, and when she tried ended up dumping them in the net. Her forehand with that ugly, long winded take back is also very vulnerable to anyone who can hit big and deep on it, on anything bar clay.

Her game is tailor made to take advantage of those underpowered tier 2 and tier 3 WTA players which she has been feasting on all the year.

·
38,237 Posts
Yeah, you can also believe the hilarities if you want to, that unlike Serena or Vika, she's going to expose Osaka on HC!!1

It was quite obvious in her match against Barty (who actually does generate pace with ease) that she has trouble generating her own pace on slow and low bouncing balls, and when she tried ended up dumping them in the net. Her forehand with that ugly, long winded take back is also very vulnerable to anyone who can hit big and deep on it, on anything bar clay.

Her game is tailor made to take advantage of those underpowered tier 2 and tier 3 WTA players which she has been feasting on all the year.
Did I say she was going to "expose" Osaka on HC? I don't believe I did. Yes, I think Krejcikova can be competitive with the best players on a hard court but of course that doesn't mean she is going to win every match. I think it is pretty well established that Osaka is the best hard court player in the world of the last 3 or 4 years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think the appropriate thing to do while destroying a friend of yours in a tennis match is kind of tough to decide, honestly. Yes, it might have been nice for Barbs to give Katka a game to spare her dignity, but at the same time, I think it shows more respect to the opponent to not let up the gas? If Katka thought she had been given a game for free it would have made her think that Barbs didn't respect her enough to worry about giving away a game, and that would have felt really patronising.

Overall I think Krejcikova did the most respectful thing by treating Siniakova as a competitor that she couldn't afford to give a chance in this match. As Katka I think I'd have preferred that to being given a pity game.
I suppose Barbora is a type of person who wouldn't expect to be given a game, so she doesn't give them either.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts

You do understand that she was at 50% physically vs Barty? Looked totally spent and still managed to look like the better player in the first 9 games or so and then ran out of gas.

Barty’s reaction at the end of the match said it all, it was her toughest match at the championships IMO. Ignore the set Pliskova won.

Krejcikova could barely string two words together in the press conference after the Sevastova match, never seen a player look so tired. Which was understandable as she had issues going on at the time.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts