Tennis Forum banner
21 - 40 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Krejcikova has now 3 titles, one another final.

And people were saying she was a fluke.

She is already better than Ostapenko for exemple.
But Ostapenko has four titles and a couple of finals?

I would say Bara is one of the top 5 players in the world right now (Barty, Osaka, Sabalenka, Swiatek the others in some order - with a lot of surface dependency)

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
Terrific performance from Krejcikova today. After the highs of RG and a decent run at Wimbledon I thought she looked mentally and physically exhausted in the Wimbledon doubles. I wondered how she would do here. Slightly sluggish at times but she got better and better. The clue was giving her friend and doubles partner Siniakova a bagel in the QF. I loved that. Bara isn’t here just to play, she’s totally focussed on winning and pretty ruthless about it.

Martincova honestly did not play badly but she was just a class below today. (Just watching her teary speech - don’t speak Czech so not sure about what!) I saw her play in Birmingham and was impressed with her aggressive play. As she just said (in English) she had no chance today. Bara was too good.

Top 10 beckons for Krejcikova (how are Andreescu and Kenin still in there!!)
She will hit the wall eventually and this purple patch of form will end, even if hopefully just for a match or two, because every player has ups and downs but well done to her as many would have expected a Roland Garros hangover. If she’d not won again it would still be an amazing 2021 with a slam title. What we are seeing instead is her building herself into a top singles player with a strong and controlled mental game whose points construction is second only to Barty right now.
Congrats Bara!

·
Registered
10,981 Posts
26 winners in 13 games. That is insane. Honestly that 2nd set was the highest quality tennis I have seen by a player this year. Barbora was unplayable a lot of the time. It was exhibition stuff and still it felt totally effortless. Extraordinary tennis. Match was just 67 minutes yet it would be hard to edit the highlights down to less than 30. If Barbora keeps playing at this level, tennis spectators have a treat ahead of them, Barbora's opponents on the other hand not so much.
Yes, it really felt a bit like an exhibition during that second set, she makes it so easy and effortless.

BTW, some folks (but they're in a minority) claim Barbora has 'ugly backswing' on her FH. I actually love it and the backswings she makes on her groundstrokes look to me very fluid and esthetically pleasing. Needless to say they're highly effective.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
I thought it looked ok. The replica ones they get from the slams are a bit naff - certainly the mini Wimbledon ladies trophy, however watching the Naomi Osaka doc, her AO trophy looked pretty much life sized! Not sure what Barbora’s RG trophy she got to take home looked like but doubt she will care. No singles titles until a few months ago, now hold three and a home tournament too. She would have be delighted with anything.
Wonder when she is off to Tokyo?

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,175 Posts
I thought it looked ok. The replica ones they get from the slams are a bit naff - certainly the mini Wimbledon ladies trophy, however watching the Naomi Osaka doc, her AO trophy looked pretty much life sized! Not sure what Barbora’s RG trophy she got to take home looked like but doubt she will care. No singles titles until a few months ago, now hold three and a home tournament too. She would have be delighted with anything.
Wonder when she is off to Tokyo?
Only problem would seem to be that she is going to need to purchase a much larger trophy cabinet in the near future.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Didn't watch the match, but should catch the highlights, Krej is really here to stay, and I for one am glad for it.

Also, complaints on her backhand? I freaking love it, she hits it so smoothly I fell in love at the first sight.

Reactions: Shvedbarilescu

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That 2nd set was some kind of freestyle clinic from Krejcikova. It looked like she was so full of confidence she just wanted to experiment and try every shot and ended up executing basically all of them. She's at such an impressive level now I really wonder what her chances at Tokyo will be especially with some of the competition already out

·
Registered
418 Posts
Props to Barbora for supporting the tour, but why is TF so gung-ho here? Is it really that shocking when a slam winner wins a 250, mowing down an ITF field?

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,175 Posts
Props to Barbora for supporting the tour, but why is TF so gung-ho here? Is it really that shocking when a slam winner wins a 250, mowing down an ITF field?
She lost just 8 games in the last 6 sets she played. You don't see that very often.

21 - 40 of 120 Posts