Tennis Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
'We've been holding serious talks with the ITF. By the end of June, we must say if we take over the host duties from Budapest.', said Mr. Ivo Kaderka, President of the Czech Tennis Federation and President of Tennis Europe.

"I gave a call to Bara [Krejcikova] and asked her: 'Would you like a Fed Cup (sic!) in Prague?' She said YES. It's not unrealistic, I've been negotiating with the ITF boss for several weeks already," said Mr. Kaderka, who had also met with the ITF chief Dave Haggerty at Roland Garros.

"Now that Bara has won RG, we surely have a better leverage in negotiations with the [Czech] government and officials on organizing the event."

He also added that the final tournament could be played in the 44th week of the year, i.e. from the 1st November.

Venue:

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
38,649 Posts
This year is looking like a real changing of the guards for the Czech team.

I love that The President of the Czech Tennis Federation immediately goes to consult Barbora Krejcikova rather than the two ladies who have been at the top of Czech Tennis for the past decade Pliskova and Kvitova. But it does feel with Barbora's emergence this past year, and Petra and Karolina starting to look somewhat past their best that a change is afoot and it is time once again to pass the banner to the next generation of Czech BJK cup teammates. It seems pretty clear right now that team is going to be led by Barbora with support from Karolina Muchova, Marketa Vondrousova and Marie Bouzkova along with Katerina Siniakova to pair up with Barbora in doubles. The last Czech team led by Petra and Karolina did extremely well winning a lot of cups but I think this one should do pretty good as well.

It's funny because ranking wise (thanks to the pandemic ranking adjustments) the present rankings don't reflect the true current pecking order with the Czech team. But while Barbora is still ranked below Karolina and Petra it is pretty clear she is the legitimate number one on that team now and it is only a small matter of time before that is reflected in the rankings. I'd imagine both Karolina P and Petra would at this stage of their careers be delighted to be able to hand over their responsibility for the team to another generation with their heads held high proud of the job they did leading the team so successfully for many years.

·
Registered
36,666 Posts
How about the WTA Finals though?

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
How about the WTA Finals though?
I would think it's much cheaper to hold the Cup than the Tour Final. There are also more matches and players involved.

If Prague obtained Fed Cup then it would be less likely they would bother with WTA Final.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is year is looking like a real changing of the guards for the Czech team.

I love that The President of the Czech Tennis Federation immediately goes to consult Barbora Krejcikova rather than the two ladies who have been at the top of Czech Tennis for the past decade Pliskova and Kvitova. But it does feel with Barbora's emergence this past year, and Petra and Karolina starting to look somewhat past their best that a change is afoot and it is time once again to pass the banner to the next generation of Czech BJK cup teammates. It seems pretty clear right now that team is going to be led by Barbora with support from Karolina Muchova, Marketa Vondrousova and Marie Bouzkova along with Katerina Siniakova to pair up with Barbora in doubles. The last Czech team led by Petra and Karolina did extremely well winning a lot of cups but I think this one should do pretty good as well.

It's funny because ranking wise (thanks to the pandemic ranking adjustments) the present rankings don't reflect the true current pecking order with the Czech team. But while Barbora is still ranked below Karolina and Petra it is pretty clear she is the legitimate number one on that team now and it is only a small matter of time before that is reflected in the rankings. I'd imagine both Karolina P and Petra would at this stage of their careers be delighted to be able to hand over their responsibility for the team to another generation with their heads held high proud of the job they did leading the team so successfully for many years.
I would say that Petra is still the best singles player in the country - i.e. better than Barbora - at least on hard court and grass. This can be evidenced e.g. by the Quatar & Dubai finals versus Muguruza, where Petra easily defeated the Spaniard, while Barbora lost in two sets.

And Petra also reached a RG semi not long ago and this year was just unlucky with that press conference injury. She could have earned more ranking points if not for that unlucky incident.

On top of that Barbora is yet to prove herself on Wimbledon grass, where her best result is just 2nd round of qualifying! Although I do agree that in the doubles competition she and Katka will be among the top favorites for the win.

We will see.

As for WTA finals, it's still very much unclear - I guess everyone is waiting for more news from China as regards the COVID situation and if they can resume hosting the tournament or not.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That’s a nice fast surface isn’t it?
In the past years, they've always opted for fast courts so that Fed Cup finals suit the game of Czech players, who were mostly excellent 'ball bashers' like Safarova, Kvitova or Pliskova and I guess even Strycova did not complain.

However, this is not a Fed Cup tie between two teams where the hosts pick the surface - I presume it is the ITF who will have the final say on the surface chosen.

·
Registered
38,604 Posts
Sure, Hungary is a terrible place nowadays courtesy of that Trumpoid abortion they have as a leader so Prague is a much better option.

Reactions: MoonballPusher
1 - 13 of 13 Posts