Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Genie, genie, who's got the genie?

Incredible bagel in first set!

Is this the beginning of the comeback, or is she coming back from the beginning? :) Perhaps she has used this time and the new coach Rennae to reset her career....looking forward to R2

·
Registered
248 Posts
Eugenie making use of the wild card. Didn’t see the match but surprising score line. Good serving stats for Bouchard.

·
Registered
31,321 Posts
What a scoreline, lol. Kudermetova couldn't hit through Genie at all. She was very erratic. Genie however played very controlled and concentrated and started servebotting in the second set as well. As usual, she plays her best tennis after an off-season. Will she disappear again in a month?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Well done to Genie, she did what she needed to do against a very average opponent.

Good serving, and more winners than errors

Hard to believe Kudermetova was the 8th seed with that effort.

I think Stubbs's coaching may be very good for her, I thought she was really good for Karo Pliskova when she was with her.
Genie's next match is winnable for sure, if she plays as consistently as she did today.

·
Banned
86,106 Posts
Always nice to see Genis is doing well.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like other posters have said, genie tends to play well after an off-season. Still a surprising result but let's see if she can keep it up. Good for her, I'll never root for her but she's better than her current ranking

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,107 Posts
Well done to Genie, she did what she needed to do against a very average opponent.

Good serving, and more winners than errors

Hard to believe Kudermetova was the 8th seed with that effort.

I think Stubbs's coaching may be very good for her, I thought she was really good for Karo Pliskova when she was with her.
Genie's next match is winnable for sure, if she plays as consistently as she did today.
I agree, the opponent was very bad . We will how Genie played the next match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Good stuff from Genie however Kudermetova was utter garbage.

This is either her comeback or her one good tournament of the year.

Siniakova or Zidanšek next!
So true! She managed a couple of nice winners, but that first set was complete and utter shit.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
I wouldn't put too much into the results of the first post-lockdown tournaments. Many players have never been out of competition for that long, so it takes time to get the match feeling back. Also we don't know how much the players have been practicing or exercising during the past months.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I wouldn't put too much into the results of the first post-lockdown tournaments. Many players have never been out of competition for that long, so it takes time to get the match feeling back. Also we don't know how much the players have been practicing or exercising during the past months.
Players have been aware of the Palermo & Prague events for sometime.

You would think if you were going to enter them, that you would at least get some decent practice in or play some Exhos before hand, instead of dishing up what Kudermetova did.
Everybody will be a little rusty, but she looked liked she had never played the game before.

·
Registered
20,024 Posts
Players have been aware of the Palermo & Prague events for sometime.

You would think if you were going to enter them, that you would at least get some decent practice in or play some Exhos before hand, instead of dishing up what Kudermetova did.
Everybody will be a little rusty, but she looked liked she had never played the game before.
Could it be surface dependent? Not sure how fluent she feels on clay overall.

·
Premium Member
63,215 Posts
Congrats Genie :)

·
always getting what i want
18,101 Posts
Genie's always been a great claycourter so this is no surprise. She won her first WTA title on the surface and also has a Roland Garros semifinal to her name.

Reactions: amyd_1989

·
Registered
8,939 Posts
The power of Rennae compels you! 👀 Reviving another dead career after taking Stosur to a Nanchang final last year (and almost a win there over in-form Kenin).

I could see Genie making the QF of her draw now she's gotten through Veronika, possibly even further given how up-and-down the other names in her section can be. Yes it's still early days back on the tour but the way she played in Charleston and WTT was already leagues ahead of what she had been offering during the regular season last year. Small improvements but the biggest one being her confidence on court.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts