Tennis Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
Good effort here by Bouchard. Even though she lost, she played good tennis here and, really, all week. Hopefully, Stubbs can stick around and maybe we can see real improvement in results.

Good on Elise for weathering her own storm. She really was very up and down here, but as able to steady her ship just in time to snatch the W.

·
Registered
114,010 Posts
Pretty good week for Bouchard. She took this off time seriously and got her game going

·
Registered
18,419 Posts
All the entry lists will be incredible through the end of the year so for Bouchard to jump 50 spots in Prague is huge. That may just put her in some 25K MD or even some qualies draws at the French 80Ks.

She's a shoe in for a WC at the 125K Prague as well. Eugenie may run out of time to make the French Open's qualifications (without a WC) but she should be in Melbourne if she keeps her form.
Any chance for her to maybe get into Istanbul or Strasbourg MMs?

·
Registered
31,801 Posts
All the entry lists will be incredible through the end of the year so for Bouchard to jump 50 spots in Prague is huge. That may just put her in some 25K MD or even some qualies draws at the French 80Ks.

She's a shoe in for a WC at the 125K Prague as well. Eugenie may run out of time to make the French Open's qualifications (without a WC) but she should be in Melbourne if she keeps her form.
She already has claimed she wants to play ITFs but not entered any of the upcoming 25Ks though. Probably planning to play bigger ones, but most are cancelled, and she'd probably need wildcards anyway. Not that getting those should be an issue.

Reactions: Perun

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
At first, I wanted Mertens to send her back to Canada, then I kind of had a change of heart and surprised myself that I was rooting for Eugenie friggen Bouchard.

This is something to build on for Genie. She was hitting good winners. The stats were nearly identical...Bouchard won 1 more game than Mertens.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
She needs a WC. Strasbourg's Q last entry was #350 last year so she may play the qualies.

She already has claimed she wants to play ITFs but not entered any of the upcoming 25Ks though. Probably planning to play bigger ones, but most are cancelled, and she'd probably need wildcards anyway. Not that getting those should be an issue.
The ITFs in the USA may be affiliated with the USTA so they're unlikely to help her out if she doesn't automatically get in but there's a few French 80Ks that may be tempted to throw her a bone.

She may play Prague 125K, Istanbul/Strasbourg and 80K Cagnes-sur-Mer back-to-back-to-back and the two 80Ks in America but I don't see her playing any 25K.

·
Registered
31,801 Posts
She needs a WC. Strasbourg's Q last entry was #350 last year so she may play the qualies.

The ITFs in the USA may be affiliated with the USTA so they're unlikely to help her out if she doesn't automatically get in but there's a few French 80Ks that may be tempted to throw her a bone.

She may play Prague 125K, Istanbul/Strasbourg and 80K Cagnes-sur-Mer back-to-back-to-back and the two 80Ks in America but I don't see her playing any 25K.
I imagine Strasbourg will have a higher cut-off this year and I doubt they'd give wildcards to non-French players, but Istanbul seems very likely to. Potentially the Prague 125K too, although I'm shocked the Czechs are prioritizing her over their own heaps of talent. Agreed about the ITFs. She's allowed 6 main draw wildcards plus three qualifying ones for the year right? It's amazing how despite her ranking dropping exponentially, she's managed to retain her celebrity status. Once upon a time many people expected her to be winning slams, now reaching a few International quarterfinals a year is enough to keep herself relevant.

·
Registered
13,990 Posts
I wonder whether now no one has any expectations of her, she has been to rock bottom and she is not begin hyped or in the limelight so much she might now be able to relax and play her game. I hope so because she has talent and it would be good to see her make the most of that.

It would have been easy for her to give up once she was being beaten left, right and centre and her ranking fell very low and she was even having to play some ITFs. She has millions in the bank and she could have just lived off that or had other lucrative careers that didn't involve a lot of hard work and humiliation. Nevertheless, she stuck at it for a long time and she deserves credit for that.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
15,772 Posts
meh she had a pretty good showing in auckland and flopped spectacularly in AO qualies, but it's cool she's embraced her underdog role and isn't delusional about her tennis anymore

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Ahhh Genie was so close to making the semis here. At least she went out fighting.

Mertens, OTH, is like watching paint dry imo but she’s also one of the most steady and consistent players out there.

·
Registered
4,924 Posts
Is this Bouchard's one tournament of the season where she plays like a top 30 player? Or will this continue?

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
With Lubbock now cancelled, there are only five tournaments left in the USA, and I would think that, if not already cancelled as I thought I read somewhere, they're all highly unlikely to go ahead - W80 Las Vegas and W15 Hilton Head, South Carolina (5 Oct), W80 Macon, Georgia (19 Oct), W80 Tyler and W15 Austin, (both in Texas, 26 Oct).

·
always getting what i want
18,080 Posts
Is this Bouchard's one tournament of the season where she plays like a top 30 player? Or will this continue?
She already had a strong tournament in Auckland. She's just continuing that great form.

·
Registered
55,078 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts