Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you wanna be with me, baby there's a price to pay, I'm a genie in a bottle ...(apologies to Christina Aguilera)

Alas, it was not meant to be for Genie this time round, but nevertheless a good match by our escape artist! The more I think she's down and out, the more she comes back and pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the headgear...

Very evenly matched in the first 9 games of the first set, Genie matching Elise groundstroke for groundstroke until the last game, when she lost confidence under the pressure and got broken tamely. But while previously she would have laid down sheepishly, she came back roaring in the second set with deep accurate drives and it was Elise who crumbled, with 2 DFs in the last game.

Third set was more like the first, trading blows until the fifth game, when Elise started to time her shots well and broke Genie, but only after holding 3 break points at 0-40 and Genie fighting back to deuce. In the eighth game, she fought back, going for the corners and even held break point, but Mertens was just too steady. Genie had her chances, but Elise was just that little bit better.

She has shown she can play at a high level, taking the no.23 to three sets. Good tournament Genie!

·
Registered
31,800 Posts
Wow I saw the end of the second set and Mertens was HORRENDOUS. I was wondering what on earth she'd done during confinement. But she raised her level well in the third.

Roland Garros better watch out for Genata, she is on the rise!

Reactions: Perun

·
Banned
86,106 Posts
Reactions: ziggy2shus3

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you wanna be with me, baby there's a price to pay, I'm a genie in a bottle ...(apologies to Christina Aguilera)

Alas, it was not meant to be for Genie this time round, but nevertheless a good match by our escape artist! The more I think she's down and out, the more she comes back and pulls the proverbial rabbit out of the headgear...

Very evenly matched in the first 9 games of the first set, Genie matching Elise groundstroke for groundstroke until the last game, when she lost confidence under the pressure and got broken tamely. But while previously she would have laid down sheepishly, she came back roaring in the second set with deep accurate drives and it was Elise who crumbled, with 2 DFs in the last game.

Third set was more like the first, trading blows until the fifth game, when Elise started to time her shots well and broke Genie, but only after holding 3 break points at 0-40 and Genie fighting back to deuce. In the eighth game, she fought back, going for the corners and even held break point, but Mertens was just too steady. Genie had her chances, but Elise was just that little bit better.

She has shown she can play at a high level, taking the no.23 to three sets. Good tournament Genie!
Genie had control for a while,until Mertens calmed her Attacks. Congrats Elise

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
Hitting was pretty good from Genie. Very good depth and FH and BH looked equally potent. But her game management sucked bigtime. She was looking more and more gassed in the 3rd. Then decided to fight for a break from pretty much impossible position, did a lot of running, and ran herself even more into the ground. Right before her own serve which she of course then lost to 0. Brainless. But this tournament was a big step forward. Excited to see how far Stubbs can take her.

Reactions: Perun

·
Banned
7,874 Posts
What a shame for Genie. She looked gutted :(

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Signs that The World is Coming to an End!!!!!
1) Bouchard is playing well
2) The WTA has a HOTTIE as chair umpire.....bikini photos please

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Before the match I was expecting Mertens to take it a she's generally a more consistent player.
However, I tuned in as the second set was going on and was wondering whether I was going to be wrong.
Having seen Bouchard play over the last few years I was honestly impressed with the depth and consistency of her shots, and clear desire to win today.

Congrats to Elise for pulling through. She needed this also since she's had a shaky post-covid season so far.
However, Bouchard can be encouraged by her performance in Prague.
It'll be important for her to follow up on this.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Elise's off court break at the end of the second set seemed to take an eternity.( To long in fact)

Not a bad match to be honest, some good play by both, but you thought Elise might just be a bit strong.
Still, Genie took the world number 25 the full distance and should be encouraged with her performance.
Anyone know where she plays next?

Mertens now plays Kris. Pliskova, hard to pick that one.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Bouchard did better than expected here, so maybe there is still some life left in her after all, and by life I of course mean her tennis career. If she puts her mind to it and gets a bit lucky she might even get back into the top 50.

When I saw the draw here and so many players dropping out before the tournament it made it incredibly clear that outside of a major brainfart (or injury) by either one, the final here would be Halep Mertens. And hey, we are just two matches away from that, and looking at who those two will be playing in those semis, yeah, the final on Sunday is just about set in stone.

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Surprising week for Genie
Now the problem is where can she play and can she get more WC?
Her ranking is just good enough for ITF events, but few of them will be held.

·
Registered
375 Posts
This is a shame for Bouchard after playing Elise so close, but at the same time I think it might be for the best that her attempt at a return has gotten off to a solid, but not spectacular start. We've seen her seemingly catch fire far at a tournament only to then do nothing for the next twelve months far too many times, and a close loss like this versus a top player could give her some hunger to keep working. I hope this won't be her only good tournament of the year, but it is a tough time for anyone intending to play on the ITF circuit.

For Elise, it's nice to see her in a semi final for the first time this year (is it her first semi since her title in the middle east last year?). She's not been at her best but I would actually say she's a more likely winner of this tournament than anybody left in the draw at this point, and it would be nice to see her lift silverware again.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
All the entry lists will be incredible through the end of the year so for Bouchard to jump 50 spots in Prague is huge. That may just put her in some 25K MD or even some qualies draws at the French 80Ks.

She's a shoe in for a WC at the 125K Prague as well. Eugenie may run out of time to make the French Open's qualifications (without a WC) but she should be in Melbourne if she keeps her form.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts