Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will this subject never die? Doesn't everyone and their mother know by now that power alone doesn't win tennis tournaments? Power without accuracy and timing would turn groundstrokes into baseball practice. Power is an asset, yes, but no player on tour wins by power alone. All the power players:

Venus
Serena
Monica
Lindsay
Jennifer
Kim
Mauresmo

THEY ALL USE POWER, but that is not all they use. THEY ALL ARE ATHLETIC. You can't be a professional athlete without being athletic, it makes no sense. Even the players without power games are athletic, it goes without saying. I mean the only sport where you could get away with not being in shape is probably golf.

Further all the players above are primarily baseliners. They for the most part don't have all court games like smartina. If they did add that to their game they probably would become unstoppable.

·
Registered
653 Posts
While I think your general premise is correct, your conclusion is not, especially using the example that you did - Hingis. Look at Hingis' record against Venus, Serena, Lindsay and Jennifer over the past two years and you will see that they have dominated Hingis and they all have a power game, but it's that little extra dimension that seperates them from the rest of the players. Venus, Serena and Lindsay all know how to end a point at the net, which unfortunatedly Monica doesn't and for that reason will forever struggle against Hingis. Hingis' shot variety, great anticipation and strategy makes her competitive against the big hitters, but it does make her invincible. Lately against the big guns she been shot down.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Power = Winners
Speed = Court Coverage

If you have power and lack speed, you hit winners, but so does the opponent.
If you have speed and lack power, you don't hit many winners, but neither does the opponent.
If you have speed and power, you still have to keep your unforced errors down.
If you have speed and power, your conditioning may fail you.
If you have speed and power, your nerves may fail you.

So who's fast, powerful, has good conditioning, doesn't crack under pressure and can keep their unforced errors down?

Quick, name the winners of the last 7 GS tournaments.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
super: I didn't mention smartina.

volcan: I agree with you, but UE, conditioning, and nerves all the players have to contend with, not just power players. Though the power hitters have to keep a really good eye on the UE more than others.

aus 2002 J. cap
usopen2001 V. Williams
wimby 2001 V. Williams
FO 2001 Jencap
aus2001 Jencap
usopen 2000 V. Willams
wimby 2000 V. Williams
FO 2000 Mary P.
aus 2000 Davenport
Usopen 1999 S. Williams

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Well, you can't win with only power, obviously. You need to have good footwork to be a successful player. The reason the Williams sisters and Capriati and other top power players have been successful is because they are quick on their feet. For proof that only power doesn't work, take a look at Nadia Petrova, who hits the ball just as hard as the players I've mentioned, but she does not move all that well and has not been as successful as the likes of capriati/williams sisters.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Great post Vanity!! :kiss:

I agree with her. Speed is important, and picking off volleys at the net is very important too! :D

·
Banned
692 Posts
Good Post Volcana.

Its true u cannot win with "just" power. Power is an asset and needs to be harnessed in the correct way so it can be used correctly. Ive been playing for 3 or 4 years now competitively. I have been watching Martinas game studying it and playing her game. Ive came up to people that hit trmendously hard, (they must have been studying Venus) But they have no control over it. I one 6-0 6-0 playing one of those junkies, and they had no corrct way to use it. As someone said people that cannot control and harness there power abilities is just like going onto the diamond and having base ball practice.

So befoe u go out and play learn the basics first coz if u jum to the 2nd or 3rd leve straight after then u have fufilled nothing in the 1st or 2nd.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
Glad you agree with me, Williams_Rulez :D

Fitness and speed is definately a very important part of being a power player. Unfortunately, alot of the junior players I've seen don't seem think so, and will realize it quickly when they begin in the pros.

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
What I'd want, if I were a WTA player, would be Martina's brain BEFORE the match, Venus's brain DURING the match and Justine's brain for the moment when I knew I'd lose if I didn't change tactics. Actually, you could be successful at almost any sport withthat combination.

·
Registered
283 Posts
cybelledarkholmexx,

Your analysis is good but not complete accurate. I agree that power alone does not cut it.

But I do not agree with this:
Further all the players above are primarily baseliners. They for the most part don't have all court games like smartina.
I believe that Venus and Serena have the all court game. And between Venus and Martina the one most likely to go to the net is Venus and the one most likely to be a succeful Serve / Volleyer is Venus.

I would say that Hingis is more of a baseliner than Venus. That is why currently Venus is a cut above the rest.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
All4Williams said:
I believe that Venus and Serena have the all court game. And between Venus and Martina the one most likely to go to the net is Venus and the one most likely to be a succeful Serve / Volleyer is Venus.

I would say that Hingis is more of a baseliner than Venus. That is why currently Venus is a cut above the rest.
I agree with you All4Williams to a certain point. I think that overall Venus is most likely to go to the net than Hingis because Venus'll do it against anyone. Hingis will usually go to the net against all but the PowerBabes because the PowerBabes keep her pinned to the baseline.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
If you look at Venus in say, 1997, compared to Venus in 2002 - she doesn't hit the ball any harder.

But she certaintly has better results.

So she must be doing SOMETHING differently.

Venus has always played a powerful game - but she didn't always have the timing, anticipation, court coverage, mental stregth, and court smarts (ie- what shot to hit when).

Anyone who watches Venus play and thinks she is ONLY winning cause she is strong, clearly doesn't watch enough tennis.

Serena is stronger than Venus, but who dominates head to heads?

I only used Venus as an example cause her case is the most obvious - but it applies to most of the power players as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
actually Cybell... you did mention "smartina" in your last two lines. The only time "smartina" is competitive with the top players is when she mixes it up b/c she knows that she can't hang for long with them hitting from the baseline, at least not in the past two years she hasn't been. The reason why Hingis has been successful against Seles and not Venus, Serena and Lindsay is that the last three know when and how to put the ball away at the net, Monica won't because she can't. Venus, Serena and Lindsay have a baseline game like Monica but are better at it and aren't one dimenstional b/c they will work their way to net.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
power might not be everything, but there are virtually no serve and volleyers left in the top 15 and I don't recall any "all court players" winning any GSs recently.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
6,314 Posts
well, there's one soon to be serve/volleyer in the top 15. Go Alex! :)

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
We actually have had a recent GS final where by the player's own admission, 'All I did back then was hit the ball hard'. Venus Williams, 1997 US Open final. Power vs Skill. Skill cut Power to ribbons, even with Martina's 'no-account' 2nd serve.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Gosh I hate to say this Becca but I think you are wrong about Venus. She hits the ball way harder than she did her breakthrough year.

The reason for it is Venus has become physically stronger the past five years and has added more power to her game each season.

Damn a healthy Venus of today would have made toast out of her younger self.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts