Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... until they figure out that a bunch of young well built attractive millionaires are NOT going about bemoaning thier lives. Venus and Serena and Martina and Jenn have every reason to say to themselves. 'Life is great! I'm doing all the things I want to do. I'm beautiful, I'm rich, I'm admired and loved by millions. Movie stars want MY autograph. World famous athletes want to meet ME! If this is a dream, PLEASE don't wake me up!'

Unfulfilled? If the players actually read those threads they'd fall out laughing.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Reminds me of what I have been saying about Tom Brady the past couple days. Imagine what was going through his mind on the sideline during the Patriots first regular season game.

"I did it! I was #4 last year, but they kept me on. Here I am, I get to play a second season in the NFL, and I am the #2 Quarterback. If Drew gets the wind knocked out of him, I might get to play a few series. It just doesn't get any better than this!"

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
*claps Volcana on the back for hitting the nail on the head*

Great thought.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
What you say might be true, but, not having been one of these woman, who knows what they think? You read about people with so much fame and so much money, and they are still so insecure. Certainly, Venus, Serena, Monica, Martina, and J. Cap. could retire tomorrow and spend money like drunken sailors the rest of their lives and still die rich, but compared so some people on Earth, so could I. It's all very relative, you'd be surprised how much money these women need to live, even today. People on that level have to have some kind of mindset that is foreign to us, or they all would have retired a long time ago. The saying goes, those who need it the least want it the most. While J. Cap. might not stay awake nights questioning her ranking based on no victories over Venus, you know damn well she wants Venus BAD. And Venus wants that No. 1 ranking BAD. They didn't get there because they are rational. They got there because they are irrational and expect far more than what is reasonable!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
No, its very true that ALL of these four women would be happy with themselves. They are all very successful.

Although, they will try harder to gain what they haven't as of yet, but it doesn't mean that they are unfulfilled right now.

I think Venus, Serena, Martina and Jennifer all know just what they have to be proud of, and happy with.

Its very well said, Volcana.
*applauding*

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Volcana, you're correct in theory, but the successful people in the world never realize what they have and what they've accomplished until they retire and have the time to reflect on it.

When you're on a good thing, like most of the top tennis players are, there's always the pressure to maintain the status that they've achieved, and anything less, to them, equates to failure. It shouldn't, but for the moment, it does. They're hungry. They want it all. They want as much as they can get their hands on. Accomplishment is the motivation, success is the fuel.

Some exceptions to this, are players like Monica Seles and Patrick Rafter, who already realize what they have and don't go about bemoaning what they haven't got.

Monica was forced to think about her life and career after nearly never being able to play again. She knows that a tennis match is not worth any considerable angst over. She mentions this several times in interviews.

Patrick's case is different. He was instilled this attitude as a child. When he missed out on winning Wimbledon for the second time in a row last year, his thoughts afterwards weren't about his missed opportunity, but of how happy he already is to have won those two US Opens. This is why he's taking this leave of absence now, when he could easily choose to search for more prosperity.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
It is not entirely so. People are quite different. There are folks who in a complete state of peace with themselves, who take life easy, accept what it gives and don't get disappointed if it gives less then it could have. It is likes of Natasha Zvereva. But there are more ambitious characters. I don't think that Anna is risking of breaking every single bone of her trying to get that elusive title and get back to elite is completely happy. I don't think Martina and Jenn were suffering in that scorching heat if they'd think so. Some people are naturally happy. Some people always want much more than they had. Average person wants 15-20% more than it currently has. Very few can feel completely happy and fulfilled at age of 20-25.

As one of my favourite singers said, if I am not on a brink of failure in what I do, I know I haven't been challenged hard enough.

·
Banned
2,029 Posts
No argument here. Admiring the players is one thing; getting fanatical about them is another.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
true Beige - there's nothing more pathetic than fanaticals living their lives "with" the talent ...

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
I'm with Celeste on this one. I don't think it's right to be greedy, but it isn't a bad thing to always want more. Anyone of us could just stop what we're doing right now and find a way to subsist, and we'd be better off than so many others on this planet. Yet, we continue to work, save, and strive for more. Otherwise, we feel unfulfilled. That's natural.

The point that was made about the players having tougher goals since they have already so much is entirely true. And they are usually geared to try even harder than we. So when they don't achieve, it's probably a much worse feeling to them and they fight that much harder. I'm so glad they do because I truly enjoy watching their efforts.

·
25,384 Posts
The saying goes, those who need it the least want it the most. While J. Cap. might not stay awake nights questioning her ranking based on no victories over Venus, you know damn well she wants Venus BAD. And Venus wants that No. 1 ranking BAD. They didn't get there because they are rational. They got there because they are irrational and expect far more than what is reasonable!
Perfectly put Celeste:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts