Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2413263055571692&set=a.1582562598641746&type=3

Scandal at the Polish tennis championships. 14-year-old Polish woman of Moldovan origin insulted by her rival's parents. "Poland for Poles". Punishment? "Nothing results from it".

The Polish Tennis Association published a decision concerning the xenophobic attack of Malwina Rowińska's parents on Anastasia Bozova during the Polish Championships in June until the age of 14. - We believe that the decision is not correct. This is actually a prize for my rival. The medals have already been awarded, nobody has undone it. Nothing results from this penalty - says 14-year-old Anastasia in an interview with Sport.pl.

In mid-June in Szczecin the Polish tennis championships up to the age of 14 were held. Malwina Rowińska and Anastasia Bozova met in the quarter-finals of the girls' tournament. The first one turned out to be better, winning 6:1, 6:7, 6:3. After the meeting Anastasia's mother, Natasza Bozova, reacted. On Facebook she described how her daughter was to be insulted during the quarter-final match.

- An unacceptable situation occurred in the third set of the match - during the confirmation of the out-of-bounds ball, caused by my daughter, by the designated referee supervising the match. At this point, the father of the opponent, i.e. Mr. Paweł Rowiński, after a verdict unfavourable for Malwina Rowińska, directed a wave of vulgar and aggressive comments and epithets towards the referee. On the other hand, the reaction of the wife, i.e. Adrianna Rowińska, was much more aggressive - filled with racist slogans and gestures such as threatening with a fist or showing the middle finger in the direction of my 14-year-old daughter (quoting "I'll make sure it's your last match in Poland"). During the whole incident, Father Malwina's father shouted "Poland for Poles". - wrote Bozova, who together with her daughter are Polish citizens of Moldovan origin living in Lodz.

According to Anastasia's mother, witnesses of this event, the main judge Patrycja Mierzwińska and the coach of the national youth team Paweł Motylewski did not react to the xenophobic attack on her daughter.

PZT punished parents and tennis player
Natasza Bozova referred the case to the Polish Tennis Association and the association started to explain the event. After more than a month of waiting, the Polish Tennis Association published its decision on Monday concerning the events of the Polish Championships up to the age of 14 in Szczecin. As we read in the communiqué:

"[...] The Sports Department of the PZT, as a result of the investigation into the behaviour of the parents of the PZT player Malwina Rowińska, during the match against Anastasia Bozova [...], decides to consider the behaviour of the parents of Malwina Rowińska as a Serious Offense within the meaning of Article 4(1)(b) of the Act of Accession. 1 letter a) of the Code of Conduct and impose a financial penalty in the form of withholding the funding for the competitor Malwina Rowińska within the framework of the PZT "Tennis Europe Tour" programme for a period of 6 months, starting from 15.07.2019 and an additional penalty for the parents of the competitor in the form of:

a ban on staying at sports facilities where tournaments covered by the PZT sports competition system will be held for a period of 6 months;
refusal to grant the status of "Official coach" for a period of 6 months.

The 14-year-old victim does not agree with the decision of the association
Anastasia and her mother disagree with the union's decision. - We believe that this decision is not the right one. This is actually a prize for my rival. The medals have already been awarded, no one has undone it. We are not satisfied with the verdict of the union - says Anastasia Bozova in an interview with Sport.pl. Her peer Malwina Rowińska finally became the vice-champion of the country until the age of 14, because she reached the final, in which Weronice Ewald 4:6, 6:7 was defeated.

14-year-old Bozova convinces that the punishment for Rowińska's parents is also not appropriate. - This seems to be a punishment, but in fact, nothing results from this punishment. Malwina Rowińska hasn't played tournaments in Poland for two years anyway, so if she won't be able to play in them under her parents' care for the next six months, it doesn't make any difference to her - adds the young tennis player.

What are the consequences for the judge and coach?
The PZT did not explain whether Judge Mierzwińska and coach Motylewski suffered the consequences of the lack of reaction to insulting a 14-year-old female player of Moldovan origin. - They did not suffer any consequences. We are going to Wrocław for another tournament in a few days' time and we already know that the main referee there will be Mrs Patrycja, who conducted my meeting with Malwina Rowińska at the June national championships until the age of 14. Since then she has been refereeing normally, she has not been punished - says Anastasia Bozova.

Sport.pl tried to contact Paweł Rowiński several times in order to get a comment on the PZT decision, but each time it was unsuccessful.

Skandal na MP tenisistek. 14-letnia Polka mo?dawskiego pochodzenia obra?ana przez rodziców rywalki. "Polska dla Polaków". Kara? "Nic z niej nie wynika" Tenis - Sport.pl

·
Registered
552 Posts
Tennis parents suck.
They are Moldovans with Polish nationality. This shit is intrinsic to Poland culure though and shouldn't be a suprise to anyone
I mean... Your comment is not better than her parents.....

Such a bad luck for this young girl. She couldnt play her game .

·
Registered
61 Posts
They might come from Republic of Moldova/East-Moldova, but, judging from their names, they are Russians or Ukrainians, not Moldovans. A Moldovan is a person living in Republic of Moldova/East-Moldova or Ukraine that has Romanian as native language an still doesn't consider her/himself Romanian - many of them actually displaying anti-Romanian sentiment and Russophilia. A Pole might be more motivated against a Russian or Ukrainian than a Moldovan, just saying.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Racism, bigotry and xenophobia is rampant and widespread in the sport. As evidenced by the reprehensible vitriol from posters and "fans" on this very forum and by the incidents that happen with alarming frequency all around the world in the sport.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Without wading too deeply into this, I don't really know what other recourse there is. This is a matter of the Polish Tennis Association, at an event organized by and for the Polish Tennis Association, and so there's not a lot of wide-ranging punishment they can take beyond their fairly narrow mandate.

They might come from Republic of Moldova/East-Moldova, but, judging from their names, they are Russians or Ukrainians, not Moldovans. A Moldovan is a person living in Republic of Moldova/East-Moldova or Ukraine that has Romanian as native language an still doesn't consider her/himself Romanian - many of them actually displaying anti-Romanian sentiment and Russophilia. A Pole might be more motivated against a Russian or Ukrainian than a Moldovan, just saying.
Sure, but Moldovan is both a nationality and an ethnicity. The issue here is ethno-nationalist Polish tennis parents shouting slurs and slogans at a Polish national of Moldovan national origin. They 100% don't care about the ethnic dimensions of Moldova, or of this girl other than her non-Polish ethnic background. It's Polish and 'other' as far as they are concerned.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You are no different from the asshole mom and dad pair.

They say Poland for Poles

You say Moldova for Moldovans
Yeah, I, as Romanian, I cheer for the Moldovans I just stated there are high chances to display anti-Romanian sentiment. Fact is Romanian(the Molodovans would call it Moldavian, but neutral philologists and linguists called bs on that) and is the official language there and the Slavic minority(Russians +Ukrainians) knows it in minimal percent, about 10%. How can they call themselves Moldovans then? They are Russians and Ukrainians and proud of it. You're the typical ignoramus that issues strong opinions. Cognitive issues, maybe?

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
Yeah, I, as Romanian, I cheer for the Moldovans I just stated there are high chances to display anti-Romanian sentiment. Fact is Romanian(the Molodovans would call it Moldavian, but neutral philologists and linguists called bs on that) and is the official language there and the Slavic minority(Russians +Ukrainians) knows it in minimal percent, about 10%. How can they call themselves Moldovans then? They are Russians and Ukrainians and proud of it. You're the typical ignoramus that issues strong opinions. Cognitive issues, maybe?
They (the player and her parents) didn't call themselves Moldovan. The article refers to them as 'of Moldovan origin' which is factually correct: her parents originate from the country of Moldova. Nowhere did the player or her parents refer to themselves as Moldovan in ethnic terms.

·
Registered
That Woman
4,653 Posts
There is bad blood between Poles and Russians and Ukrainians, not Moldovans. The remark was only about motivation of chauvinistic rants involving Poles.
Ultranationalists have bad blood with anyone who isn't their ethno-nationality. That's the issue. They don't give a f*** about the clearly rich tapestry of ethnic relations inside of Moldova, they just know that a girl whose parents aren't originally from Poland/don't have Polish names was winning (although didn't win) against their daughter and displayed the typical xenophobia of far-right whackjobs the world over.

Ascribing any kind of nuance of understanding ethnicity vs nationality to ultra nationalists is far too generous a read of the small minded nothings that ascribe to ultranationalism.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They (the player and her parents) didn't call themselves Moldovan. The article refers to them as 'of Moldovan origin' which is factually correct: her parents originate from the country of Moldova. Nowhere did the player or her parents refer to themselves as Moldovan in ethnic terms.
Factually yes, but it doesn't specifies if it refers to nationality or ethnicity. With origins in the Republic of Moldova would have been correct. And yes, there's a problem there with the Slavic minority that wouldn't be bothered to learn the official language and displaying imperial superiority. In Latvia they granted citizenship to the Russians arrived after Soviet occupation only after they were able to show good mastering of the language and Latvian culture. Which was only fair.
Xenophobes might be selective about the sort of foreigners they hate, you're just making assumptions.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
This is quite an old story, it was in Polish media some time ago.

Disgusting behaviour from those people, not only xenophobic, but also dirty way to win a match by mocking an opponent.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
This slogan is especially stupid since so many people of polish origin work and live in Western Europe, including in the sports world. Migration is not a one-way street.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Nativism and Tribalism is a very big part of sport. Certainly not nice but it's likely going to be in the background always.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Ultranationalists have bad blood with anyone who isn't their ethno-nationality. That's the issue. They don't give a f*** about the clearly rich tapestry of ethnic relations inside of Moldova, they just know that a girl whose parents aren't originally from Poland/don't have Polish names was winning (although didn't win) against their daughter and displayed the typical xenophobia of far-right whackjobs the world over.

Ascribing any kind of nuance of understanding ethnicity vs nationality to ultra nationalists is far too generous a read of the small minded nothings that ascribe to ultranationalism.
Not always. There's always that other beloved ethnicity. Many of those alleged ethno-nationalists are just far right / nazis and if it were a german girl instead of a Moldovian they would be taking selfies with her.
That's pretty much the case for Polish nazis.

Anyway, that's not the case here. It's for the Polish federation to do its job.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts