Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, much as I've enjoyed watching Lindsay over the years, much as I love her attitude and her media persona, and in spite of the fact that I think at her peak she was one of the finest hitters of a tennis ball in the history of women's tennis, I really do pray that she's not the victor next Saturday.

As Jennifer Capriati put it, the winner of the tournament will have an asterix next to her name saying "Williams' weren't present", devaluing the accolade to an extent that not even the stabbing of Seles ridiculed Graf's grandslam victories in the mid 90s.

If that's how it must be, I'd rather see a play with hunger, passion, steel and heart holding the trophy in six days' time. A player who can use the achievement to inspire herself and others to greater feats in years to come - when Venus and Serena are back.

Like Lindsay Davenport, I see Mauresmo as a timid competitor with little heart or tenacity, certainly not a player who will ever achieve a great deal while Venus and Serena are competing. Like Lindsay, she's a fine player with more ability than most to charge through seven matches, but when placed on the other side of the net from either two of the greatest and most feared athletes of all time, she's a mouse. Her inferiority complex takes over.

The absence of the Williams' can either be remembered as a void waiting to be filled on their return, or as an inevitability, when the remainder of the hungry pack had a chance to hone their skills without added the pressure of the sister factor.

Should Lindsay Davenport win the US Open for a second time, after the pitiful attitude she displayed against Clijsters in Los Angeles a few weeks ago, the 2003 championship really will be a tournament the WTA will wish to forget.

The WTA tour needs an inspiration in the wake left by the Williams family, who are no doubt preparing for their next assault on the slams. A grandslam win from either Davenport or Mauresmo, or possibly even Capriati, would smell of flagrant opportunism. And for its own credibility, the WTA does not need that.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
I have seen little of Amelie on TV so far this US Open, but I tell you this. Kim will not be holding the trophy by this time next week either. I think Amelie can beat her (she did last year) and get back to the semis. Amelie will need the motivation becasue if she doesn't, she might fall to number seven in the rankings.

Reactions: galadriel

·
Premium Member
21,675 Posts
I think a GS win for Lindsay or Amelie would actually really motivate both of them. They are great competitors and I think you are really overlooking and underestimating them.

On a side note this thread will probably turn into a bashing of V & S simply by the why you worded some of your statements.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
lizchris said:
I have seen little of Amelie on TV so far this US Open, but I tell you this. Kim will not be holding the trophy by this time next week either. I think Amelie can beat her (she did last year) and get back to the semis. Amelie will need the motivation becasue if she doesn't, she might fall to number seven in the rankings.
I'm a Kim fan and I agree Mauresmo can beat her, but can everyone stop using the reason of last year's match already. Do you really think Kim is playing like last year?? And if you do you musn't have done much Kim watching over the past year.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
kim&lleytonrule said:
I'm a Kim fan and I agree Mauresmo can beat her, but can everyone stop using the reason of last year's match already. Do you really think Kim is playing like last year?? And if you do you musn't have done much Kim watching over the past year.
I can't watch Kim all the time; they don't show a lot of her matches in the US.

I'd like for people to stop using her wins over Venus and Serena at the Y/E Championships as the reason for her assent to number one, considering she is 0-5 against them this year and has only managed to take a set each of of either one of them.

We all can't get what we want.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think people are missing my point...

Sure Mauresmo CAN beat Kim. So undoubtedly can Lindsay. But will they? No. They're meek and mild, wishy washy excuses for players these days.

Of the old guard, only Jennifer Capriati stands a chance of beating Justine or Kim, in my opinion - and that's only if she raises her game substantially.

And so what if they do beat Kim or Justine? Will that signify a new dawn in women's tennis? No, because Lindsay and Mauresmo are not prodigious players of the future. Lindsay was in the past, and Amelie will always flirt with real success but never find it, in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I pray that Justine doesn't win the US Open. Then she'll be 2-0 in GS trophies against Kim :(

Please God...don't let Justine get further than the QF. Or if you're feeling particularly generous, maybe you can pitch in a K/J final and let Kim win 6-0, 6-1. That'll keep my eyes glued onto stupid Channel 9 who just HAD to televise all those dumbass ATP matches :yawn:

·
Registered
851 Posts
And I also would much rather Lindsay win the US Open. How is she not got fire and passion? She's injured, yet she's still playing great tennis. Obviously, she's put in the hard yards to post clean victories.

·
Banned
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fact is, even in her peak years of 1998-2001, Lindsay Davenport had that odd match where her attitude...to use a slang expression which fits so well....SUCKED!

Think of some of her losses to Serena, or to Mauresmo in those years.

I've seen Lindsay in this last year quite a few times and I've no doubt about why she's not the player she was. It's certainly not a rise in the standard - it's her falling away!

She lost a lot of weight, yet she seems to be a step slower. She doesn't hit the ball as smoothly or with the same depth, and her shots err constantly.

And her response to this? Well....shrugs her shoulders I s'pose. Why bother? She's already got 3 slams in the bag....and it is only a game, after all. She's such a nice girl :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47,640 Posts
I don´t really believe that Mauresmo and Davenport are fireless and fightless. Remember Mauresmo really really pushed Venus last year at the Open and Davenport did the same for a set against Venus at Wimby. The reason that maybe they come over as fireless and fightless is that against Serena they didn´t even get any opportunity. Simple as that, but they are contenders for sure!

Kim better watch out, ´cause Momo has been really good so far!

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
disposablehero said:
I think you are wrong. We CAN all get what we want. Kim fans can get the world's #1 player, and Williams fans can get an excuse to bitch.
Williams fans have had the world's number one players (68 weeks combined), plus 10 Slams (earned BEFORE the number one rankings) and a Year End Champion. And during that time, some of Kim fans were bitching and will once she loses the number one ranking.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Steffica Greles said:
A grandslam win from either Davenport or Mauresmo, or possibly even Capriati, would smell of flagrant opportunism. And for its own credibility, the WTA does not need that.
:scratch: and there was me thinking that players should make the most of the opportunities that present themselves in professional tennis......

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
lizchris said:
Williams fans have had the world's number one players (68 weeks combined), plus 10 Slams (earned BEFORE the number one rankings) and a Year End Champion. And during that time, some of Kim fans were bitching and will once she loses the number one ranking.
I don't recall that. What were we bitching about, again?

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
disposablehero said:
I don't recall that. What were we bitching about, again?
I said SOME Kim fans; if this applied to you so be it, but this is what I have seen on this board and tennis boards (particulary after's Kim's win against Serena in November):

That Venus and Serena were ranked 1 and 2, that they were placed on opposite side of the draws at Grand Slam tournaments, that Kim has yet to beat either Venus or Serena this year (despite having two match points at the AO), that Venus and Serena don't play enough to justify their rankings.

There are more, but I will stop there.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
lizchris said:
I said SOME Kim fans; if this applied to you so be it, but this is what I have seen on this board and tennis boards (particulary after's Kim's win against Serena in November):

That Venus and Serena were ranked 1 and 2, that they were placed on opposite side of the draws at Grand Slam tournaments, that Kim has yet to beat either Venus or Serena this year (despite having two match points at the AO), that Venus and Serena don't play enough to justify their rankings.

There are more, but I will stop there.
I don't see a single point in there that isn't simply an issue of countering Williams fans who claim Kim is "unworthy".

·
Registered
851 Posts
OK. But still, hard work, talent and determination still matters more than entertainment (at least in the player's POV). Lindsay works hard, so why shouldn't she deserve to win?

·
Premium Member
20,024 Posts
Makes no sense at all to me. Why would Lindsay, Jen, or Amelie winning the title destroy the WTA?

I swear some people are streching it on the board!

Go Lindsay, Jen, and Amelie, Kim!!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: @ this thread.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Awww, lizchris is cute when he is jealous and bitter. :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts