Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tomorrow in Rome we have some players who will be playing two matches, some might say they will be at a disadvantage because of the tiredness factor, but could you also make the argument they will be more warmed-up than someone who didn't play a match prior?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
161 Posts
bad. i have to get up at 4am to watch Belinda play and if she wins try to grab a nap until a 10am match with Barty. this will throw me way off schedule.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
uh?

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
but could you also make the argument they will be more warmed-up than someone who didn't play a match prior?

Thoughts?
I would think that because players spend so much time hitting balls every day anyway, that two matches in one day is just tiring. Maybe your anticipation will be better at the start of the second match but then the fatigue factor will become even bigger.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I believe the short answer to the question posed by the title of this thread is that if the player wins both matches it is good; otherwise it is bad. Case in point involves one of my favs Anett Kontavett. She is favorite to win her first match so it is disastrous if she does lose. But if she prevails she is likely to meet Petra. An expected loss would immediately spoil the joy of having won the first match. If however she perseveres the feeling of euphoria will be omnipresent.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Depends on a few things: how intense the first match is, how much gas in the tank the player has and how comfortable/uncomfortable weather conditions are for the day

·
18,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bad. i have to get up at 4am to watch Belinda play and if she wins try to grab a nap until a 10am match with Barty. this will throw me way off schedule.
:lol: poor you

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
It means Svitolina and Zverev will win the French. Fresh, fresh. While others are grinding away on slow clay for 3 hours, only to rest a bit and continue for another 2 hours, depending on the match. And some are playing against R3 opponents who finished theirs on Tuesday, and even playing doubles. No wonder the two Nastjia's didn't bother to stay around for another rain delay. Diego the other day was complaining about his matches in Monte Carlo and Madrid, and how close they were together. They have physios, recovery mechanisms and so forth, but I am sure they will be tired, the lactic acid build-up in the body, especially for those who will go on to reach the final.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
It seems that in almost all cases both player will be at their second match in the day, so I do not think this is unfair.

However it certainly gives an advantage to the fitter players, and this is not bad, it's not an external event, to be fit is a merit.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Tomorrow in Rome we have some players who will be playing two matches, some might say they will be at a disadvantage because of the tiredness factor, but could you also make the argument they will be more warmed-up than someone who didn't play a match prior?

Thoughts?

what's your next thread - "Eating dog shit, good or bad?"

This is break-a-board-over-your-head stupid.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I would think that because players spend so much time hitting balls every day anyway, that two matches in one day is just tiring. Maybe your anticipation will be better at the start of the second match but then the fatigue factor will become even bigger.

would you please fucking stop it with the common sense. It's really annoying.

·
18,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
what's your next thread - "Eating dog shit, good or bad?"

This is break-a-board-over-your-head stupid.
You big mad. Go take a walk or something :hug:

·
Registered
19,583 Posts
it's been balanced for almost everyone BUT the problem is each player on court has the potential to play 6 sets in one day. Then they ask them to come back tomorrow. How much rest will they get for the following day? Will everyone be asked to play in the evening session? Unlikely. This makes it rougher than a GS 5 set men's match in some ways as you don't get that break.

I can tell you that if a match lasts 3 hours, it is unlikely that player won't be half dead appearing on the court the next day in under 20 hours.

·
Registered
27,406 Posts
Is this even debatable?? :unsure:
Obviously bad. Too demanding physically for players. Imagine 2 matches that go distance about 3 hours each. Plus potentially more matches if up in doubles draw as well.
And then tomorrow another one, no rest day.
If this was good, then women would play 5 sets.

For organization is bad also, having no play for a day (so people should get their money refund normally) and then the schedule messed up for the following days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts