Tennis Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started this thread because it amazes me how many people defend people playing few events, even making somewhat fun of those who do play a lot.

Isn't the tour existing because people like to watch tennis, and not just any player on the tour, but the top stars.

It's those that help to make an event succesful.

Let me say that I respect the Williams' decision to play few event, however, I will never defend it. What would happen if all other top players would have the same idea and play about 7 events outside the Slams or Masters:

If we have a look at the 10 players first on the Gold Exempt list (or any 10 you think will attract the l audience largest audience, or provide the best matches between the), to summarize, the ingredients required for a succesful tournament.

Suppose they play seven events, that would make 70 appearances. In total there's about 26 Tier I, Tier II's.

You can only hope to attract at least 3 or four, to at least have a few big names, and hopefully 4 interesting players to at least have interesting semi's.

Now simple maths will tell you you should on average expect less than 3 top players to turn up for your event.

I'm glad most players decide to play quite a few more, because I don't see how such a situation would be healthy for the tour.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
'Twould help a lot if the schedule was rejigged so that events were more evenly spaced out. You can't expect players to compete throughout the whole of this gruelling hardcourt season going into the US Open. Having said that, IF the tournaments are sensibly scheduled, there should be no excuse for a healthy player failing to show up at a required event.

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
That´s nothing new really.....all the other greats played the same amount of tournaments as the sisters are doing now..

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
i think top players should commit to at least 15 events, thats still only 10 events ouside the GS and of year champs. I dont think that is too demanding. kim and justine have shown yu can do just aswell at GS playing a higher number of tournies. The players know the rules about rankings points, if they wanna be no.1 then they are going to have to play just as much as the rest of the top 10.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bandabou said:
That´s nothing new really.....all the other greats played the same amount of tournaments as the sisters are doing now..
The great have done this before, to limit their no. of matches. By this standard Clijsters, Henin, Davenport should all have been allowed to cut down their schedules as they've been playing more than enough matches already this year. That would leave Rubin (who withdrew before playing) and Sugiyama as the top two seeds in L.A.

With all due respect, hardly any organizers dream.

All I meant to do was to show asking people to play 17 events is not onreasonable. Without top players present, people would lose interest.

·
Registered
17,958 Posts
I mean, you would think that they would have done that along time ago w/ all the top players from the past few years seeming to get at least one injury a year. That isn't right for tennis players. It isn't like they are linebackers or anything, they don't really do too much damage per day to their bodies.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mboyle said:
Shorten the season. Duh:p ! Get rid of all those pointless and unprofitable Euro clay events, add some in the States, SA, and Asia, but shorten the season to 6 or 7 months.
That the ultimate solution, avoiding injuries, and so on!

Maybe having 26 events higher than tier III is a bit much to supply them with enough top players. But as long as they keep being organized, top players are needed to keep the event alive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.