Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What matches do you recall when a player has played in the Zone, and absolutely crushed a quality opponent?

I think that the best display of this on the women's side was when Mary Pierce beat Steffi Graf in the semis of the French, dropping only 2 games in the late 90s (Mary fans, please help me out!:) ). Arantxa also beat Steffi by a similar score one year in the semis of the French, but I think Steffi palyeed porrly that day. In this particular match, Steffi just looked helpless!

On the men's side it was definitely when McEnroe beat Connors in the final of the Wimbeldon Final in 84, 6-1, 6-1, 6-2. It is the best display of tennis I have ever seen, and poor old Connors was losing so badly, he was even amused by the occassion.

What are your memories of matches where a player has palyed in the zone, and has your fave done it?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hingis demolishing Venus 6-1 6-1, or Seles 6-0 6-0.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely the Venus match, but wasn't seles injured in the match against Hingis?

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
zone

An awesome display of zone play was Serena over Hingis in the '02 USOpen semis. Serena did not miss a first serve in the second set (17 straight first serves - incredible).

Another awesome display was when Matts Wilander dismantled Lendl in the '87(?) USOpen mens final.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Clocker, I saw that match between Wilander and Lendl. I think it was 88, as it was the year when Matts won 3 of the 4 slams.......

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't think Hingis over Venus counts. Hingis didn't play exceptionally well: Venus played badly IMO. Another candidate would be Serena over Davenport at Indian wells.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For all you oldies, I think when Martina N beat Chris in the French Open final in 84 6-3, 6-1, and made chris look like an amateur, she was playing in the Zone..... but let's face it, she was playing in the Zone for all of 1983, and most of 84! LOL;)

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My favorite zone match was Wimbledon 1980 finals. Evonne Goolagong started the match completely "zoning" against arch rival Chris Evert (Lloyd). Before you could bat an eyelash Evonne was up 6-1 and 3-0 in the second. She was doing nothing wrong and everything effortlessly right, even out dueling Chris from her beloved baseline. Then the rain delay came and when the match began again Evonne was still very much in the zone, but nerves had crept in a bit. She overcame Evert's late comeback and took the match 6-1, 7-6. It was glorius!

My other favorite zone match was really even more amazing but not as dear to my heart. It was the already mentioned Mary Pierce over Steffi Graf in the French Open semis of 1994. I think it was one of those rare instances when a player (Pierce) NEVER leaves the zone against a top notch player (Graf). I think the very first ball struck was a Graf first serve that Pierce slammed back for a winner. You just had the feelign right then and there this was going to be soemthing. Mary had been in the zone all tournament and she entered the semis (and the finals) with the least amount of games lost ever. Steffi was nervous but she played well. there was simply nothing she could do. I will never forget that match because Steffi was truly over powered and I don't think it had ever happened before (or since, really). Monica had beaten Steffi about 4 or 5 times but she NEVER overpowered her in the true sense. That day in Paris, Mary stood up to the Graf ball and slammed it back harder, often times going forehand to forehand. I wish I had it on tape!

Other fave zone matches:

Mandlikova/Navratilova USO '85 - they were both in and out of the zone, first set was spectacular

Navrat/Graf USO '91 - Martina made one her last zone trips at the age of 35!

Capriati/Hingis Aussie '01 - Jen was amazing from first to last ball struck. A tour de force.

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Ball change,
It was an awesome year for Matts. I think it may have been '88.

I hate to keep picking on poor Ivan because he was definitely in the zone when he defeated Johnny Mc in the UsOpen final in '85(, but who can forget Sampras' run where he beat Lendl on the way to his first UsOpen victory ('90)? I have never seen tennis played so well.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Clocker, Hey Mark:wavey: Mark, Thanks foir helping out on the Mary match. I didn't realise that it was a sfar back as 1994! Boy, i must be getting old;)

I am a huge Hana fan, and boy did I yell at the TV during that final with Martina! The problem with Hana is that she can zone in and out of games!

Funny you mention the Nav/graf match of 91 USO. I just nposted about it today in the Ladies of the Court thread. Martina had lost to Steffi 4 times in a row leading up to that match!

Two other matches, Chris beat Martina 6-0, 6-0 on clay, and Martina returned the favour a couple of years later!

Clocker, remember how long it took Lendl to win his first grandslam? He was probably sick of all the press labelling him a bridesmaid. However, when he finally broke through against McEnroe in the French he went on to win many more (I think the FO 84 was his first, though I'm sure you Lendl fans will tell me if I'm wrong!)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
5,566 Posts
LI Na (CHN) is nearly always in the zone when she reaches a tournament final. She just won the $75K at Midland in 50 minutes :

"I played about as well as I could, but she was hitting deep balls, hitting corners, hitting lines, you name it, she was doing it," Washington said.

When Washington tried to slow down the game a little, Li simply supplied her own power, rocketing shots right back at her opponent.

Tournament director Mike Woody said "Na Li's the (Muhammad) Ali of tennis. She has a 1-2 punch. She's definitely not a jabber. She goes for the knockout."

Li became the third women in the tournament's 14-year history to win as a qualifier, joining Anna Kournikova (1996) and Alexandra Stevenson (1998).

·
Registered
699 Posts
When Hingis def. Williams 6-1 6-1 Hingis played well but it was partly due to Venus being out of practice and off-form, not a true example of a player being "in the zone." Seles was injured when she lost to Hingis 6-0 6-0 and was spraying the ball everywhere so again that isn't an example IMO.

A classic case was Mary Pierce at Hilton Head '00 she was truly on fire. In the final against Arantxa I think she hit 3 UE's on her way to a 6-1 6-0!!!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Pierce has played some memeorable matches in the zone. beating Graf in 94 at the French, wow! She also beat Aranxta and Serena handily at Hilton Head

Capriati defeating Hingis...Cap was in the zone during that match for sure.

Yeah, last year when Serena beat Davey...very impressive.

When Steffi beat Monica at Wimby (91 or 92). 62 61.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Serena over Hingis US Open 2001 semifinals. Hingis just looked helpless to me. Hingis wasn't even playing a bad match, but Serena was doing everything right.

The scoreline for Hingis over Venus AO 2001 makes it seem like Hingis demolished Venus, but if you saw the match, you know that Venus demolished herself. All Hingis had to do was get the ball back in play, and let Venus do the rest. If someone's in "the zone", then they're beating the hell out of someone who's playing a good match. The "zone" person is just outplaying their opponent on that day. That's definitely not the case here.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yes Pierce at Hilton Head in 2000 was another pefect example. She nailed Monica and Arantxa in 2 days and lost about 4 games! For some reason Mary Pierce is one of those rare players that enter the zone and remain there for days. That dosen't happen very often. When Mary zones she hits the ball incredibly hard and barely makes an error. Please come back to the zone Mary!!!

Serena over Martina in the US last year was just as amazing. She was in the zone from first point to last.

I think the greatest matches are when players trade off zoning, like the Mandlikova/Navrat 85 match or Steffi/Monica at New York season ender in '98.

What are some other great zone matches? Sabatini zoned a few times against Graf and that was always fun. Anyone zoning against Graf was a blast because Steffi could zone at will and crank it up a notch. You just felt her joy at playing at a higher and higher level. I miss her!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
That's why i've always wondered what outcome would it be if the Mary Pierce of Roland Gaross 94' and 00' faced the #1 in people's minds, Venus Williams:p

i've never seen a player that you can actually almost feel that they are in the zone at that moment at that match~ Mary Pierce!

The latest "Zone" power player i remembered was Venus Williams vs. Davenport in San Diego last year. i just could not believe Lindsay had no answer for Venus that night, incredible power hitting.:eek: :rolleyes: w

1 - 20 of 47 Posts