Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coaches this season keep telling me that the only way I am going to win is by playing with immense topspin. They tell this to everybody. Now, I know topspin puts safety on the ball and is diffucult to return but they make it seem like it is the only way to win and seeing flat hitters like Davenport and Sharapova makes me think otherwise (even though they said all the best players use heavy spin :rolleyes: ) . I already play hitting the ball flat and I don't want to change :)rolleyes:) How can I ay this way but still be consistent?

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
compromise, hit with a bit of topspin but also keep it flat, obviosly, there will be times when you will need to it with a lot of top spin (e.g when on the back foot playing a defensive shot) and also when you will need to hit it flatter (e.g when approaching on a high ball) but for your standard FH or BH you should look to hit with a bit of topspin aswell as flat as no.1 obviously top spin help keeps the ball in and no. 2 hitting with a little top spin produces a heavier ball than hitting flat. I play like this and trust me, it works! lol

what type of standard are you?

·
Registered
7,709 Posts
:confused: duno, well i play flatly and still win (sometimes lol:p ) but i dont go for the lines on every-shot, i make sure i ralley the opponet 1st then hit the hard flatter shot when going for the winner. i think this is the only way without applying topspin

·
Registered
29,542 Posts
:confused: duno, well i play flatly and still win (sometimes lol:p ) but i dont go for the lines on every-shot, i make sure i ralley the opponet 1st then hit the hard flatter shot when going for the winner. i think this is the only way without applying topspin
yep that is definaltly right;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
It's important to make sure to use spin as well. Me I try to mix top spin and flat shots. I prefer hitting flat shots becauses the ball goes fast and the opponent as less time to react.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It depends what level of play we are talking about and whether we are talking about men's or women's tennis.

I used to regularly hit with my university's team (Div. I, around 50 in the nation) and you could see a huge difference between the game the girls played (almost all hit flat or with minimal spin) and the game the men played (all rally shots were heavily top-spun, then flattened out a bit for winners or approaches).

But all of that aside, you *can* win with any types of strokes...so keep playing the way that you want to.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It depends what level of play we are talking about and whether we are talking about men's or women's tennis.
exactly. to the point: women are slow. much slower than men, and so a flat shot that zips through the court for a winner is beneficial in women's tennis. such a high risk shot, however, is useless against men who can cover the court with ease, and so heavy topspin must be employed to get an opponent out of position/force an error.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
I play all flat. In fact, my forehand used to have considerable spin, but I worked with it till it hit with as little as possible.

I play on a wood basketball court that's been relined for tennis. It's probably the fastest surface in tennis, and extremely slippery and skiddy. Moreso than grass. Spin doesn't do anything except slow the ball down. Winners are the key to the way me and my friends play, not keeping the ball in play.

If I was to play on a hardcourt or clay, even grass, I'd have to add quite a bit of spin, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I dont use spin at all and I rarely lose :p just be good at what you're doin ;)

·
She's coming for your faves wigs
18,759 Posts
Most of the kids i see ages 8yrs-14yrs

I watch kids play alot at the tennis center in tournaments.

All i see his high loopy balls with top spin.

None of the kids these days are agressive.

When i played as a kid i hit flat but i added some top spin for more margin sometimes.

But now all i see is kids using insane top spin just to keep the ball in court not being agressive whatsoever.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Most of the women don't hit use a lot of topspin because of their lack of power in the upper body.
I read somewhere that an average women has about 50% capacity of the average male upper body, wehereas they have 80 % of the male lower body. So they're not that much slower then men.

If an average women would hit with a lot of topspin the ball would lose so much of its speed that it would prevent them from being effective; e.g. Sanchez Vicario.
Only very powerful women like Mauresmo can achieve effective high topspin-balls.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
Most of the women don't hit use a lot of topspin because of their lack of power in the upper body.
I read somewhere that an average women has about 50% capacity of the average male upper body, wehereas they have 80 % of the male lower body. So they're not that much slower then men.

If an average women would hit with a lot of topspin the ball would lose so much of its speed that it would prevent them from being effective; e.g. Sanchez Vicario.
Only very powerful women like Mauresmo can achieve effective high topspin-balls.
I don't consider Muresmo more powerful than the Williams, Sharapova, Vadisova, et al. The ones I listed hit flat, because it lets them get easy winners. Serena, for one example, hits with considerable spin when the time calls for it (like when playing fast counterpunchers like Peer). Mauresmo's forehand though, seems like a moonball it has so much spin, like Nadal's but with much less pace.

·
Registered
15,098 Posts
nah...
well...i guess the best way to win is keep the ball in court and wait for yer opponent to self destruct n attack when given the chance..

and if you hit it w top, u wud have a greater chance to keep that ball inplay..

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't consider Muresmo more powerful than the Williams, Sharapova, Vadisova, et al. The ones I listed hit flat, because it lets them get easy winners. Serena, for one example, hits with considerable spin when the time calls for it (like when playing fast counterpunchers like Peer). Mauresmo's forehand though, seems like a moonball it has so much spin, like Nadal's but with much less pace.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. Even a powerful player like Mauresmo can't generate the amount of power to play winners with topspin like men can. Maybe she should flatten out more often her forehand.

Other female players who play with a lot of spin, like Ruano Pascual, Schnyder, Suarez, Dominguez Lino..... often get overpowered by powerhitters, because of the lack of speed they can generate while playing with topspin.

·
Registered
18,112 Posts
Yeah, that's what I wanted to say. Even a powerful player like Mauresmo can't generate the amount of power to play winners with topspin like men can. Maybe she should flatten out more often her forehand.

Other female players who play with a lot of spin, like Ruano Pascual, Schnyder, Suarez, Dominguez Lino..... often get overpowered by powerhitters, because of the lack of speed they can generate while playing with topspin.
Pace plus relatively HEAVY topspin= justine or Kuzy. but juju or kuzy can flatten out their shots too when finishing off points.

·
10,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
compromise, hit with a bit of topspin but also keep it flat, obviosly, there will be times when you will need to it with a lot of top spin (e.g when on the back foot playing a defensive shot) and also when you will need to hit it flatter (e.g when approaching on a high ball) but for your standard FH or BH you should look to hit with a bit of topspin aswell as flat as no.1 obviously top spin help keeps the ball in and no. 2 hitting with a little top spin produces a heavier ball than hitting flat. I play like this and trust me, it works! lol

what type of standard are you?
what exactly do you mean by standard?

·
Registered
12,795 Posts
exactly. to the point: women are slow. much slower than men, and so a flat shot that zips through the court for a winner is beneficial in women's tennis. such a high risk shot, however, is useless against men who can cover the court with ease, and so heavy topspin must be employed to get an opponent out of position/force an error.
cosign.

i hit with average topspin on my forehand and a pretty flat backhand. but i slice a lot off of both wings and mix it up.

it's not that good to always play flat. i personally thrive off of players that hit the ball flat. sure they'll hit a few winners, but i'm speedy enough to get most back. it's pushers i can't stand. :scared:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts