Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is already a plethora of threads about wasted talents, or players you felt underachieved in their career - be it for many reasons, personal and injury-related included but I think it's the first thread of this kind.

Can you name players that you wouldn't ever guess to get as much success as they did? Or some who you effectually ''crossed off'' in your mind before their rise? Or some who seemed weak purely tennis-wise or mentally very early on before transforming themselves?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Simona Halep was nr.1 and won Roland Garros in juniors in 2008, when she was 17 years old. Then she kinda didn't do much untill mid 2013 when she started her climbing. She was 22 years old and her ranking was around 50.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
17,091 Posts
Azarenka
Pliskova
Bartoli
Errani
Stosur
Schiavone
Ostapenko
Barty

With other people i always had a hint of what they were capable of and seeing the progress somehow. I just never expected the above people to win slams or reach no.1 though.

·
Registered
115,503 Posts
That IW - US Open thread reminded me of Vesnina. I remember when she was playing doubles with Chakvetadze. I never thought she would win IW in singles and make Wimbledon semis in singles. And in doubles she was World #1, won Olympic Gold, Wimbledon, French, US Open, YEC title
Her career achievements surprised me and she became a mom and left the tour when she was still doing very well and could have added to that

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Konta is a good pick and quote literally an out of no where pick.

I did not think Errani would happen the way she did in singles.

Same from Franny

·
Registered
13,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Konta is a good pick and quote literally an out of no where pick.

I did not think Errani would happen the way she did in singles.

Same from Franny
For Konta, I remember British posters complaining about her not happening and talking about her yet untapped potential when she was still outside top 100, her choking was very bad, well it is still a problem but nowhere as repetitive as years ago. She could play well above what could her opponents pull off on court for one set before collapsing, and again and again ...

Reactions: ROSAMUND

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
there was that famous thread here about Bartoli winning Wimby. It was a joke thread... Bartoli was considered a scrub, everyone thought it was a funny piece of trolling and it was already a shock when she actually did reach the Wimby final in '007. Let alone reached it a second time and won it.

and definitely Schiavone... she was a nobody who just slowly kept getting better, and better, and better.

also Na Li, she was around for such a long time before her breakthrough in the late '00s, always a decent player but nothing really special or glamorous.

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
Barty, Svitolina, Garcia (though she's gone back to her mean level :eek:h:) all have done better than I thought. I thought they'd probably be like solid top 20 players but they all managed to get their games together. Good for them!

I also thought Naomi was destined to be a BBB and have a more Keys like career but here she is with 2 slams!

Bertens as well was terrible off clay and look at her now! Would never have thought she'd managed to actually pull it off as a solid top 10 player doing well on all surfaces :)

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Among slam champs, the only real surprise is Myskina. She broke through quicker than I expected and became the first Russian woman to win a slam.

Errani, Chakvetadze and Bertens - I did not expect any of them to make the top 5, and I was pleasantly surprised!

Lower down the order, I'm always amazed at how players like Brengle and Tatjana Maria manage to cement their top 100 status despite always giving the impression that they're about to be blown off the court.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
Konta is the best example. She was basically an ITF journeywoman at one point.

Sabalenka kind of came out of nowhere. Zero hype around her when she was a teen.

Fiona Ferro, one of the numerous annual "waste of a slam WC" French ladies and now solidly in the top 60.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Konta is the best example. She was basically an ITF journeywoman at one point.

Sabalenka kind of came out of nowhere. Zero hype around her when she was a teen.

Fiona Ferro, one of the numerous annual "waste of a slam WC" French ladies and now solidly in the top 60.
And now she is a millionairess and the highest earning sportswoman in UK.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts