Tennis Forum banner

181 - 185 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
She won 16 titles at that level, including two Grand Slams and two Year End Championships. All you people who think that only singles titles matter...does being World No 1 in doubles not count either?

Also, she retired early because her back was too badly injured for her to continue! It was a full 18 months after her final WTA match before she felt strong enough to play again. Had she not been injured I'm absolutely positive that she would also have won multiple WTA singles titles - and maybe even a Grand Slam or two.
1) You quoted me wrong.
I put Anna under the category of "Good or ok WTA careers who should have been better".
And not under the category you quoted me ...

2) I was only talking about the singles career of course.
If you want to talk about doubles, you should go to the separate doubles forum and open a Thread there.
GM is to talk about singles. There is a reason why the doubles section was created.

3) I know that Anna was a great and very successful doubles player. No need to tell me ...
I was a big fan of her. Very talented, gorgeous, beautiful strokes and game.

4) I know that the back injury forced Anna to retire. Maybe I should have written "had to retire too early".
Yes, many people forget or ignore that Anna finished her career at the age of 21 ! Very (too) young to retire.
And for such a short career Anna had quite a successful singles career. A lot of good tournaments and strong wins. The only negative is that she never won a WTA singles title. Which she should have. Anna is the best player to never have won a WTA singles title.

5) You cannot deny that towards the end of her career Anna also had mental problems to win her first singles title (not only the mentioned injury problems). Anna was HUGE in world-wide media, had sooo many fans. Most people nowadays cannot imagine how popular and famous Anna was during her career. Anna faced HUGE pressure from outside to finally win her first WTA singles title. That was very difficult for her. Also her serve got worse and worse and she choked more at the end of her career, that also had to do with the HUGE amount of pressure she faced every day.

6) Yes, I think too that Anna would have won a WTA singles title without the back injury.
Anna Kournikova is one of the most underrated tennis players in WTA history.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I agree with that. Never thought she could go so high, but not even that she was going to disappear so easily.
Injuries did her in. I think she could have at least a top20 CHR.

Li Na almost got her career destroyed by injuries but in the second half of her career she somehow managed to tone them down. I always thought she had a big game, good enough to be top10.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
2) I was only talking about the singles career of course.
If you want to talk about doubles, you should go to the separate doubles forum and open a Thread there.
GM is to talk about singles. There is a reason why the doubles section was created.
Says who? To me, "General messages" means tennis in GENERAL, which includes doubles. Why should any GENERAL discussion which involves doubles be relegated to a separate area where the majority of posters don't normally go? I'm not talking about specific doubles-related topics, but items such as this and Marion Bartoli's tweet (and the responses) which realistically relate to ALL tennis enthusiasts - even if those who are more (or only) interested in singles hadn't necessarily thought about them.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I'd like to think Kournikova could have won a Slam at some point, but I feel like her game was akin to Kirilenko's (it's been a long time, I admit) with not a great serve (which got really bad toward the end which I presume was on account of injury), no big weapon off the ground, yet not really the ability to grind it out like Wozniacki or Halep.
Again, it's all part of the "what if" scenario. Had she been fully fit, she may well have been able to develop her upper body strength in a way that's more akin to what we see today, and consequently had a better serve and stronger ground strokes. However, if you remember back to that Key Biscayne final, she hit more aces than Venus Williams, so her serve as an 18 year old wasn't that shabby.

181 - 185 of 185 Posts