Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
La Divina Assoluta
11,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic may have been discussed before but surely wouldn't be bad to revive it. Which players did you think were going to make huge strides on the tour but failed to live up to your or general expectations? I have tried to compile a few examples:

Mona Barthel: Now obviously, Barthel hasn't had a disastrous career, but after her run in Stuttgart back in 2012, she seemed destined to, at the very least, be a consistent top 30/20 player with chances to make a splash at a Slam. She won a premier title (Paris 2013) and three other MM titles between 2012-17, but her slam record remains distinctly average for someone of her early promise, with just one R16 showing at Melbourne in 2017.

She has had injuries and breaks from the tour, but her regression into perennial journey woman seemed quite drastic compared to how she emerged onto the tour.

Sorana Cirstea- Injuries have also played a part in her career development, but it's easy to forget that she was once seen as one of the new, teen BBB on the block back in 2008/2009 and had that huge result by beating Jankovic at the French in '09 on route to the QFs. On ball-striking ability alone, it seemed at the time that her career was somewhat on parallel with an Azarenka or Safina but she fell out of elite circles quite quickly afterwards. She reached the Toronto final in 2013, but she never replicated those early results.

Alexa Glatch- A very random inclusion, but I remember back in 2009 that she was being touted as one of the more promising US juniors by the tennis media and was receiving WC's left and right into big events. Despite all the initial adulation, she never broke the top 100.

Vasilisa Bardina- Reached the final in Hobart back in 2007 and broke the top 50, before getting double-bagelled by Clijsters at the AO and all but completely fell off the main tour.

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Vaidisova never played any final above the Tier III level which is fairly shocking.

Torro Flor was expected to be some kind of threat on clay, wasn't she? Where is she now?
Torro looked destined for the top when she bt Muguruza on clay and Kerber in Miami. Then injuries.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts

·
Registered
113,490 Posts
myriam casanova iroda tulyaganova Lina Krasnoroutskaya Aniko Kapros
There are 1,000 others I thought could have had much better careers but there is so much adversity, only the most physically and mentally gifted make it to the big money and fame

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Bouchard obviously.
Those 2014 Slams results at 19 were amazing... the rest was lame...her future as a relevant player is inexistant.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Barthel’s level in Stuggart (2012) was insane.

The match vs Vika in particular.

Her best, most insane performance is a match in which she lost to Azarenka on clay? Then Azarenka proceeded to lose badly to the actual #2 in the final o_O:censored:

Color me not impressed with the "real #2" of the 2012 spring season :cool:

Bouchard obviously.
Those 2014 Slams results at 19 were amazing... the rest was lame...her future as a relevant player is inexistant.
This I can agree with. As limited as her technique is, she can make it work for her. In 2014 she was hardworking and winning big matches on pure willpower and confidence. Unlike most TFers, I think her subsequent issues in future seasons were related to a lack of motivation and commitment to tennis, as opposed to being "figured out by the tour".

·
Registered
30,033 Posts
Barthel lost in the first round of Indian Wells to Azarenka with almost the exact scoreline and Azarenka went on to win that title as well. They also met in Melbourne and Doha that year so Barthel, wo had a pretty strong first half, kept playing her only to be defeated. That's where the nickname came from. :D

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
This I can agree with. As limited as her technique is, she can make it work for her. In 2014 she was hardworking and winning big matches on pure willpower and confidence. Unlike most TFers, I think her subsequent issues in future seasons were related to a lack of motivation and commitment to tennis, as opposed to being "figured out by the tour".
There's a little of that. Bouchard has shown a few times after 2014 that when she's motivated she could beat good players. The match she played vs Andreescu at the Rogers Cup 2019 was great, she almost defeated a rusty Bianca. But Bouchard's biggest problem is that she hasn't mastered anything other than taking the ball early, consequently her poor variety and lack of weapons mean she can't use any plan B and or strategy.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
There's a little of that. Bouchard has shown a few times after 2014 that when she's motivated she could beat good players. The match she played vs Andreescu at the Rogers Cup 2019 was great, she almost defeated a rusty Bianca. But Bouchard's biggest problem is that she hasn't mastered anything other than taking the ball early, consequently her poor variety and lack of weapons mean she can't use any plan B and or strategy.
That's exactly why I'm convinced that the reason why she fell off have more to do with her commitment to tennis than with her bad technique and lack of variety. The difference in level between her ITF bagels and the fights she puts up when drawn against a quality player is astounding. She's shown that she can still play near her 2014 level when's really motivated to. But she's content with her USO payout and with reaping the minor benefits of her has-been status

1 - 20 of 185 Posts