Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
What do you think about Whitney Osuigwe - she had an impressive junior career but seems to have stalled somewhat in the months before the tour stopped. Do you think this was a just a blip or whether she is going to get stuck in the 100-200 range or even drop back further in the next few months? I am wondering whether she was been adversely affected by the rise of Coco Gauff who has totally overshadowed her in terms of being the next American star.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
There's a few players I think would have entered the top 100 already if it had not been for lockdown because it looked like it was just a matter of time - Leylah Fernandez, Caty McNally, Varvara Gracheva, Xiyu Wang. I think Juvan and Cocciaretto could still benefit from the clay season to make a jump up.

Comeback players - Shelby Rogers and Oceane Dodin are two players I think are capable of going back into the top 100 if they stay injury free. Dodin had good momentum before the tour stopped but she was always a streaky player so I think it depends on whether she can keep it up when the tour returns. But I am guessing that there will be a lot of changes of form when tennis comes back. Buzarnescu - is she ready to return yet? With her there is also the question of age and whether she will be slower and able to return at the same standard that she was playing 2 years ago.

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
Fernandez and Gracheva are the two young ones who stand out to me.

As many others have said, Fernandez would probably already be there by now if not for lockdown. She was on quite a roll and seems to have maintained a very decent level just based on her exhibition matches this past week.

Gracheva has an amazing ground game and can play both offence and defence very well. Her level against Hsieh in Washington last year was quite scary, she would have beaten most players that day.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
What do you think about Whitney Osuigwe - she had an impressive junior career but seems to have stalled somewhat in the months before the tour stopped...
Very disappointing in my opinion. Another who has had the odd good result, but that's it. She's certainly a long, LONG way away from top 100 at the moment. Not much of a serve, and movement is just not fluid enough.

Her junior record suggested that she might be better in doubles, and she certainly started that way when she moved into ITF senior events, but she's gone right off the boil over the last 18 months. Her last event, in Nicholasville, Kentucky, in February, where she reached the final with Hailey Baptiste, was her first time past the quarter-finals in 14 attempts.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Jaqueline Cristian looked promising, I saw her match against Kenin who won Lyon. She had a MP against Kenin, and though she couldn't convert the MP, she didn't give up after that and kept fighting in the deciding set which I found impressive.

I knew @Veesus Christ would mention Gracheva haha. I remember watching that match rooting for Hsieh, but I was very impressed by what I saw from her opponent. Can she bring that level on a consistent basis though? We shall see.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Buzarnescu, Wickmayer, Niculescu, Gavrilova, Barthel, Tsurenko, Sasnovich, Schmiedlova, Dodin, Friedsam, Vandeweghe, Gibbs, Rogers, McNally maybe, but some are injured or why did they decrease?

Jaqueline Cristian will enter top 100 soon.

Kostyuk who? Biggest fluke the tennis will ever see. 1 good tournament and that's all.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Stollar, Zhuk and even Urszula Radwanska? Are you serious? Top 100 is stacked, it's not easy to be there all the time. For instance a pity is that Oceane Dodin doesn't enter. Or Nicole Gibbs.

What did Stollar or Zhuk in tennis? And Stollar beside grass?

Danilovic, Kostyuk and Snigur
Danilovic one tournament wonder, like Kostyuk. At least Kostyuk is still young.

·
Premium Member
62,542 Posts
Lara Michel - basically retired now. She was always SO unlucky with injuries...
Rebeka Masarova
Lulu Sun

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Lara Michel - basically retired now. She was always SO unlucky with injuries...
Rebeka Masarova
Lulu Sun
In what timeframe? Much as I love the girl from Te Anau, I think she's still a long way from top 100. Injuries have obviously slowed her progress markedly - maybe look at her again at the end of next year?

·
Premium Member
62,542 Posts
In what timeframe? Much as I love the girl from Te Anau, I think she's still a long way from top 100. Injuries have obviously slowed her progress markedly - maybe look at her again at the end of next year?
Not saying she is going to make it, but she was on fire beginning of last year and then had to have surgery on her wrist.

But her lefty serve was already one of the very best at that time.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
977 Posts
Stollar, Zhuk and even Urszula Radwanska? Are you serious? Top 100 is stacked, it's not easy to be there all the time. For instance a pity is that Oceane Dodin doesn't enter. Or Nicole Gibbs.

Danilovic one tournament wonder, like Kostyuk. At least Kostyuk is still young.
Stollar had about 6/7 Int QF/SF's to her name by the age of 21; she also had back to back Rd16 at Charleston and a handful of top 100 wins......of all of that, maybe 30% was on Grass.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts

Zhuk was a junior champion in singles at Wimbledon, and had a couple of quite nice wins in senior events before injury caused her to retire from tennis. Her last match was in the first qualifying round at Wimbledon a year ago, when she lost to Varvara Lepchenko. Her best win was when she beat Alize Cornet in the first round at Indian Wells in 2018, and she beat Magdalena Rybarikova in the second round. She beat Cornet again at Guadalajara last year.

Luckily her looks mean that she will always be in demand as a model.

·
King
28,652 Posts
Zhuk needed to put more muscle on and bulk up. She was trying to play an aggressive baseline game with technically smooth but under-powered strokes, and it was clear that she just wasn't strong enough in her frame to make that a viable game plan.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Zhuk was a junior champion in singles at Wimbledon, and had a couple of quite nice wins in senior events before injury caused her to retire from tennis. Her last match was in the first qualifying round at Wimbledon a year ago, when she lost to Varvara Lepchenko. Her best win was when she beat Alize Cornet in the first round at Indian Wells in 2018, and she beat Magdalena Rybarikova in the second round. She beat Cornet again at Guadalajara last year.
Did she actually retire, or is she rehabbing the injuries and then tennis stopped? It seems odd she would just stop altogether.

I don't get the idea of becoming a model. There are thousands of attractive blondes. Being a tennis player who ALSO models is a much more lucrative path, even if she's not a top 50 or top 20 talent. Look at Mandy Minella, with her handful of weeks in the top 100 but high-profile sponsorships with Mercedes, etc.

We give Sharapova a lot of flak but she understood perfectly that her endorsements were tied to success as a tennis player, not looks alone. I mean, how many models in the world make more than 500k per year?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Did she actually retire, or is she rehabbing the injuries and then tennis stopped? It seems odd she would just stop altogether.
One of her Instagram (?) posts was shared here a few months ago. It seemed quite clear from that that tennis was no longer a consideration in her life because of her ongoing injuries. Of course things may change later if she is able to completely rehabilitate herself and decides that another go at tennis would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Buzarnescu, Wickmayer, Niculescu, Gavrilova, Barthel, Tsurenko, Sasnovich, Schmiedlova, Dodin, Friedsam, Vandeweghe, Gibbs, Rogers, McNally maybe, but some are injured or why did they decrease?

Jaqueline Cristian will enter top 100 soon.

Kostyuk who? Biggest fluke the tennis will ever see. 1 good tournament and that's all.
She's had 10 top 100 wins before her 18th birthday, or 13 if you stretch it to 109, and a lot of those were when she was 15 and 16 years old, so she's clearly capable of mixing it with those in the stated ranking range, as you can't fluke that amount of wins without having something about you. A slam 3rd round (which admittedly was a fortunate main draw), WTA Strasbourg QF (via qualifying), and reaching the L16 at Stuttgart after negotiating 3 rounds of qualifying.

She went off the boil a bit last year and her progress wasn't as quick as many were expecting, but there's signs she's getting back on track, and I personally don't think it'll be too long before she's in the top 100 if/when the tour gets properly going again.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
She's had 10 top 100 wins before her 18th birthday, or 13 if you stretch it to 109, and a lot of those were when she was 15 and 16 years old, so she's clearly capable of mixing it with those in the stated ranking range, as you can't fluke that amount of wins without having something about you. A slam 3rd round (which admittedly was a fortunate main draw), WTA Strasbourg QF (via qualifying), and reaching the L16 at Stuttgart after negotiating 3 rounds of qualifying.

She went off the boil a bit last year and her progress wasn't as quick as many were expecting, but there's signs she's getting back on track, and I personally don't think it'll be too long before she's in the top 100 if/when the tour gets properly going again.
Sorry, which player are you talking about? I think I've blocked whomever you're quoting.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Gotcha.

I'll add in, Kostyuk has been somewhat disadvantaged by where she comes from. She was the youngest player to reach the 3rd round at the Australian Open since Hingis, but she basically never got wildcards, and she never had a home tournament to play in of any real stature.

An American, Brit, Aussie, or French player doing what she did would be garnering all kinds of interest, and Kostyuk's disappeared as quickly as the Australian Open ended. A 15-year-old American ranked in the 130s would have gotten a wildcard into Indian Wells and/or Miami for sure, and Kostyuk was playing 60ks in China instead.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
Olga Danilovic, Kaja Juvan, Whitney Osuigwe, Victoria Duval, Hailey Baptiste, and Clara Tauson

41 - 60 of 74 Posts