Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
King
28,652 Posts
Stollar was playing top 100 tennis last year between Charleston and EOY in 2018 - during this period she had a couple of top 100 wins, and had some good results at INTLs, and looked like she was going to breakthrough to at least slam direct entry this year, if nothing else. Fair to say her level dropped big time YoY, and she has barely been able to win a match this year, and whether or not that's a lack of discipline and enjoying being a insta-thot which is the root cause is questionable.

I don't think she was ever top-player-material, but I definitely think she has the game to break the 75-100 ranking bracket if she gets back to the level she was at last year.

Zhuk is very under-powered for the game she's trying to play unfortunately, although I do think she could sneak into the top 100 at least at some point if she gets a consistent run going - she has already qualified for two slam MDs, so it's not like she has done absolutely nothing at tour level.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
Not from what I've seen. Nothing in her game is exceptional, and that would be fine if she were a great mover and consistent in her shots, but I've not seen that from her.
Stollar can blow off the court at least half the players currently in the top 50, of course if you see her playing only during a time where she can't put a ball on court you are going to a have a certain view that might not tell you about her potential.

·
30,858 Posts
Another question would be players over 25 years of age who never made it to the top100 and had seem to have/had the talent to do so. I think Zanevska is the only one that comes to mind, even if she is at best a 75-100 player

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Amazed by Urssuka Radwanska's career high ranking. In my opinion Rogers is a better player than her.
Certainly more determined I think that is beyond dispute.

Shelby is getting her confidence back and when she does I think she will be fine - there are very few bigger fighters out there.:boxing:

Look at what Stollar managed in Charleston with soft draws in back-to-back years.
I know Lena could be a bit up and down :eek:h: but I am still highly offended at the reigning Indian Wells Champion and two time Charleston finalist being regarded as a soft draw.:p

I actually thought Stollar actually played a really solid match that day.On the rare occasions I have seen her since the one word you certainly wouldn't use to describe her was solid.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Stollar can blow off the court at least half the players currently in the top 50, of course if you see her playing only during a time where she can't put a ball on court you are going to a have a certain view that might not tell you about her potential.
Possibly. I've seen her all of four times, because she's not really a factor on the tour, but that right there says something: most of her career has been a time where she can't put a ball on court. But in those times, even with the misfiring, I wasn't that impressed by her power. Other players in her age range hit harder and with much greater consistency.

Like I said, there's no reason she can't get to top 100, and with a greater number of WTA events in Hungary she probably would have already, but I really don't see how she gets over the next hurdle into the top 70 or so without radical overhauls to her game.

·
Premium Member
62,542 Posts
Masarova

·
Registered
70 Posts
Zhuk is actually a potential top 10 player if we look at her tecnique, as her shots are all really precise and well executed, BUT she would need to gain a lot of muscle, work on her movement, improve her serve AND play a big number of events, and I don't see all of that happening to her when she seems completely uninterested in tennis. Last match played was at roland garros in June, an event that she qualified for showing some amazing clean strokes. What is she doing right now? Is she injured? Who knows.

Stollar could be in the top 100 with some more effort, but while she is in the top 100 in doubles, she doesn't really strike me as having a reliable game or variety or enough rough power to really leave a mark right now. Maybe in some years...

Those who have already been in the top 50 or even top 10 obviously have the talent, but might be struggling with form, age or personal issues.

Kostyuk, Juvan and more are going to hit the top 100 really soon.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Sad not see Laura Robson on this list. She moved like a tank but those groundstrokes alone were enough to make the top 50.
She doesn't even have a ranking. :sobbing:
She's obviously not playing at the moment, because she was one of the commentators for BT for the women's singles final in Zhuhai yesterday. She made some absolutely outlandish statements about Sabalenka's serve and the speed of the courts, which were enough to make me wonder if she had actually done any research or was just chucking in stuff off the top of her head without even thinking about what she was saying. Instead of some penetrating analysis, unfortunately a lot of the rest of what she said was just fluff.

I quite like her as a player but, as a commentator, she sucks big time!

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
She's obviously not playing at the moment, because she was one of the commentators for BT for the women's singles final in Zhuhai yesterday. She made some absolutely outlandish statements about Sabalenka's serve and the speed of the courts, which were enough to make me wonder if she had actually done any research or was just chucking in stuff off the top of her head without even thinking about what she was saying. Instead of some penetrating analysis, unfortunately a lot of the rest of what she said was just fluff.

I quite like her as a player but, as a commentator, she sucks big time!
Usually her commentary can be quite insightful, as she has played a lot of the players currently on tour or otherwise knows them. I dunno what she said about Sabalenka, but she'd be less familar with her.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Usually her commentary can be quite insightful, as she has played a lot of the players currently on tour or otherwise knows them. I dunno what she said about Sabalenka, but she'd be less familar with her.
She said that Sabalenka's first and second serve are always the same shot and the same speed, which is nonsense. While the direction might often be similar, her second serve during this match was generally 20 to 30 km/h slower than the first - just like most players. With her 190+ km/h faults the difference was even more marked, as the second serves were mostly in the 140s or 150s. What was really ironic was that it was Bertens who actually managed one point where her faulty first serve and her second serve WERE exactly the same speed (160).

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'll just cover the players I've seen at least somewhat recently, assuming no injuries, with their likelihood as follows:
O: likely
~: maybe
X: unlikely

The former stars
O - Sharapova - too good to stay >100
O - Cibulkova - too good to stay >100
O - Vandeweghe - too good to stay >100
X - Bouchard - the rest of the field has passed her by, too unwilling to adapt her game
X - Lisicki - was pretty dreadful when I last saw her. At her age, it seems doubtful

The former Top 50 players
O - Friedsam
O - Rogers
~ - Niculescu
X - Karatantcheva - saw her on USTA pro circuit - seemed to be a fitting level for her at this point

The former Top 100 players
~ - Rodina
~ - Ana Bogdan

The talents (forgotten stagnating talents and young hopeful talents)
X - Zhuk - from what I've seen/heard, doesn't seem too focused on tennis
O - Gracheva
O - Kostyuk - pretty much a certainty. Has all the physical tools, but needs more time to refine her game
O - Fett - she's not even 23 - plenty of time to get back on track
~ - Stollar - possible. I'm not sure if her big serve and groundstrokes will be enough. Needs to tidy up the errors
O - Juvan - a near certainty

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Meowww! Have you forgotten that she won junior Wimbledon? She has won plenty of senior matches, but it's not her fault that she can earn more from modelling than from tennis.
Stollar was playing top 100 tennis last year between Charleston and EOY in 2018 - during this period she had a couple of top 100 wins, and had some good results at INTLs, and looked like she was going to breakthrough to at least slam direct entry this year, if nothing else. Fair to say her level dropped big time YoY, and she has barely been able to win a match this year, and whether or not that's a lack of discipline and enjoying being a insta-thot which is the root cause is questionable.

I don't think she was ever top-player-material, but I definitely think she has the game to break the 75-100 ranking bracket if she gets back to the level she was at last year.
Zhuk is actually a potential top 10 player if we look at her tecnique, as her shots are all really precise and well executed, BUT she would need to gain a lot of muscle, work on her movement, improve her serve AND play a big number of events, and I don't see all of that happening to her when she seems completely uninterested in tennis. Last match played was at roland garros in June, an event that she qualified for showing some amazing clean strokes. What is she doing right now? Is she injured? Who knows.

Stollar could be in the top 100 with some more effort, but while she is in the top 100 in doubles, she doesn't really strike me as having a reliable game or variety or enough rough power to really leave a mark right now. Maybe in some years...
Exactly, Zhuk, Galfi and Stollar for sure have the talent to be Top 100 ! :hi5:
They are beautiful girls. But that has nothing to do with their great tennis game.
It seems that some people here have never watched Zhuk, Galfi and Stollar play tennis ...

The main problem for Zhuk, Galfi and Stollar is that they are not that focused on tennis and are more interested in boyfriends than tennis - as some people have noted. A shame ...
If only they would be 100% focused on tennis and also had more home tournaments (WCs). Countries like China, USA or GB have countless big tournaments (= WCs for their talents).
It would not be the first time that being hot/beautiful sabotages a tennis career despite the big talent. We will see. I hope they will find the passion and improve their game and consistency.

Reactions: AwonderfulKiwi

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Danilovic, Kostyuk and Snigur
Snigur may have got away with the world's worst serve when playing juniors and low-level ITF because the rest of her game is pretty good, but she will crucified at WTA level unless she finds some way to improve it by 1000%. She has terrific grit and determination, and moves her opposition around the court better than most, but that's not enough when your serve would be a disgrace for a 13 year old beginner. It honestly takes me back to the 60s and the likes of Francoise Durr.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I think Bouchard has top 200 potential for sure. Top 100? I don't know. Nothing gives me the impression that she can be that consistent.

We all know she's been #5, so it's impossible to say she definitely could never be a factor again. But everything we've seen since then leads me to believe top 200 is her ceiling rn.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Here is an alternative view. Getting into top 100 is a complex issue with many factors. In my view every player ranked 101-200 has what it takes to be top 100 talentwise. It is just a matter of the quality of the team around them. Luck is involved as well. In my view, it is harder to get into the top 100 than to get dropped. In that sense, who do you think is most likely to drop out?

·
Registered
31,248 Posts
I think Bouchard has top 200 potential for sure. Top 100? I don't know. Nothing gives me the impression that she can be that consistent.
Bouchard seems to be in the best physical shape she's ever been and did beat Flipkens and Garcia in Auckland. The losses to Trevisan in Melbourne and Glatch in Newport Beach were disastrous, though.

The problem is indeed consistency and she has fallen down the rankings quite a bit. Eugenie has never won week in, week out which is needed to climb up the rankings. I see her giving it one last shot but retiring within the next two years if a miracle doesn't happen.

The attendance for the 1967 French Open final is on par with a first round match on court 3 in Tianjin. Shocking.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts