Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
54,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please name and discuss about active players who are outside of Top 100, but who you think should be inside Top 100 because of their big talent :p

https://www.wtatennis.com/rankings

I begin :)

The former stars
Sharapova (former #1)
Zvonareva (former #2, not sure where she is, hope she returns to Top 100 next year)
Cibulkova (#311 now, career high was #4 in 2017)
Bouchard (career high was #5 in 2014)
Lisicki (career high was #12 in 2012 and Wimbledon finalist)
Vandeweghe (former #10 in 2017, had injury problems, but should return to Top 100 next year)

The former Top 50 players
Buzarnescu (career high #20 in 2018)
Niculescu (career high #28 in 2012)
U.Radwanska (career high #29 in 2012)
Govortsova (career high #35 in 2008)
Karatantcheva (career high was #35 in 2005)
Cepelova (career high #50 in 2014, still remember her impressive Charleston 2014 where she showed her talent and reached the final beating Oudin, Serena, Vesnina, Hantuchova and Bencic in a row !)
Friedsam (former #45 in 2016, had injury problems, but should return to Top 100 next year)
Rogers (#48 in 2017, had injury problems, but should return to Top 100 next year)

The former Top 100 players
Rodina (career high was #67 in 2019)
Ana Bogdan (career high #59 in 2018)
Lapko (career high was #60 in 2018)

The talents (forgotten stagnating talents and young hopeful talents)
Zhuk
Gracheva (but she will reach Top 100 soon)
Flink
Sramkova
Kostyuk (still young, I guess next year it will happen)
Fett
Galfi
Stollar
Ruse
Cristian
Juvan (she should reach Top 100 next year)

Reactions: skytennis

·
Registered
21,363 Posts
Juvan will be top 100 soon, like you said. I was very impressed with her against Serena at Wimbledon, she has a good all-round game like her compatriot Srebotnik.

Fett is an obvious top 100 talent too, if she can just get over this slump she’s settled into since choking against Woz last year.

·
Registered
29,828 Posts
Errani, Wickmayer and Dulgheru.

Younger Radwanska has no business to be in top 100 again. She's useless and has no time for tennis - she sbould focus on selling bags and photos.

·
Registered
31,248 Posts
Françoise Abanda could've had a better career but her poor work ethic and a series of injuries set her back. She'll beat a top 100 or even a top 50 player more often than not when she gets the chance. She's been stuck at the ITF level for years, though.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I have a feeling that if Bepa is to play next year it will only being doubles...
Amazed by Urssuka Radwanska's career high ranking. In my opinion Rogers is a better player than her.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Of course my one and only Genie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Antonia Lottner w/o question........... Work on agility drills to improve the movement and put 25 lbs on that flag pole frame to put power into her serve and groundstrokes, complimenting a dictating all-court game. Service motion is like Ivo's, can play lst strike tennis if the power is there and can easily finish her service games in 2-to-3 returns, but lacks power because she's too skinny. Knows how to construct points, comes forward on deep balls and finishes at the net with well-placed volleys, in addition to knowing how and when to drop successfully. Can light you up from the baseline from either side if the return is in her wheel house. For me, a top-30 talent with the right coaching and necessary weight gain. "This" is who I want Bajin to coach and I've even sent him a tweet asking him to do so after he and Naomi split, but also mentioned Destanee....

For this 23 year old, remain non-plussed that Antonia with her offensive weapons and game has never reached the top-100.........

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Kaia Kanepi is someone who should have been a regular top 30 player with her natural talent. She’s ranked 97 right now but did reach 15 at one point. I was watching her play in Moscow and she has it all. Injuries and inconsistencies but rather a waste IMO

·
Registered
905 Posts
Viktoriya Tomova is someone I'm surprised hasn't made a breakthrough yet. A clean hitter with good technique and serve.

Held her own against Osaka a few weeks ago in Japan.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
New mother Tig is currently making her way back into the top 100 surprisingly quickly

Bacsinszky's comeback hasnt gone to plan, would've expected her to be back there by now :sad:

Younger Radwanska has no business to be in top 100 again. She's useless and has no time for tennis - she sbould focus on selling bags and photos.
Agreed, if you're referring to what I think you're referring to :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Viktoriya Tomova is someone I'm surprised hasn't made a breakthrough yet. A clean hitter with good technique and serve.

Held her own against Osaka a few weeks ago in Japan.
Tomova got played off the court by Maja Chwalinska earlier this year. Much as I love my little Polish princess, she's not yet top 100 singles material, which means that Tomova isn't either.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Are Zhuk & Stollar even taking there tennis-careers seriously? I know Fanny lost R1 in her hometown ITF this past week, but where is Zhuk? Is she injured? Or just totally smitten with her BF and not interested anymore in playing tennis.

I hope Bonaventure & Minnen can get over that final hurdle next year to crack top 100.
Same goes for Lopatetskaya ... hope she can recover quickly!

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Are Zhuk & Stollar even taking there tennis-careers seriously? I know Fanny lost R1 in her hometown ITF this past week, but where is Zhuk? Is she injured? Or just totally smitten with her BF and not interested anymore in playing tennis.
I don't see either as top 50 talents, not even close, but they certainly are a but disadvantaged by not coming from a country with a ton of events. Just as one example, the British players who manage to hit the 75-100 range are no better, really, but are able to lock down a wildcard to Nottingham and Birmingham and Eastbourne, and with a nice draw at any one of those can win a match or two and get into that bottom part of the top 100.

Look at what Stollar managed in Charleston with soft draws in back-to-back years. If she managed to get main draw wildcards into events at the rate of a Harriet Dart or an Oceane Dodin or a Destanee Aiava, she may well have gotten into the top 100 back when she peaked around #110.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts

I hope Bonaventure & Minnen can get over that final hurdle next year to crack top 100.
Same goes for Lopatetskaya ... hope she can recover quickly!
the way you are saying it is almost as if Bonaventure and Minnen are on the same level.
I don't see either as top 50 talents, not even close
Don't know about Zhuk but are you really saying that Stollar is not even close to top 50 level....

1 - 20 of 74 Posts